Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Ford Taurus that I want to give to my son. The tranny started slipping between 1st and 2nd (if not up to 15 mph) and between 2nd and 3rd a slight slip. This happened in the blink of an eye, not over time. It has been 7 months and the fluid has not burned, no shavings, new filter and no change whatsoever.I am just wondering if anyone knows if they put a censor on that year, or if there is a modulator Valve I just can't find. The car is in great shape (except for the aging paint) and I hate to get rid of it, engine is perfect etc. I don't want to spend the money to rebuild the tranny, as we all know you get a royal screwing from that route, but if anyone knows where to find a censor or modulator on the thing PLEASE let me know, my son is ready for a car and I am ready to end my Taxi Service. :blink:
Thanks in advance; I appreciate any help I can get;
Kevin (matrix57) lost in tranny world,,, HELP ME
Oh buy the way it is a 3.0 4 speed auto

G

·
There's no modulator valve on this trans. If I remember right, 1990 was still controlled by a throttle valve cable to some extent. You may want to check the manual and make sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I'd say that if the trans has been acting up for a while, and it hasn't broken yet, then I'd just give him the car, BUT tell him to drive it easily or else the transmission will die in a hurry, and if it does break, have him pay to have it replaced, or pay 1/2. It should cost around 1200 - 1600. Getting a car for the price of a transmission replacement is a great deal to me, and teaches one how much money is involved in owning a car.

If the car isn't falling apart, and it's properly maintained, it should gave many miles of reliable service. If it where mine however I'd change the transmission fluid, and maybe add a bottle of that lucas stop slip stuff. I'm a bit weary of additives, but lots here suggest it, so it can't be junk.

My Sable has developed a shifting quirk between 2nd and 3rd. It only does it after it's been parked for a few hours or more, and it dosen't do it again after that, untill I park the car again. It still shifts fine, even under wide open throttle, so I expect the trans to last, but if abused abused, I woden't be surprised if it fails.

Good luck, and if you're son is interested in the car tell him to join, there's lots of good info here!

G

·
Remanufactured and/or used tranny's go on ebay pretty cheap - I usually see them around $400-700 and they come with a warranty on a lot of them if you'd want to go that route. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where do you find Lucas Stop slip? Or more online resources? I've got a rebuilt tranny wondered if that would extend the life since its the classic 30 feet or 30 seconds guarantee. Added a tranny cooler, steam cleaned the engine and the entire unit seems to run cool. Are any cars equipped with transmission heat guages or is this totally impractical?

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I am happy that I had my transmission rebuilt. It is not paid for yet, but it cost me about 1400 when all was said and done, this was with a new mount and a new tranny cooler. definitely worth the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts