Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Taurus Top Speed

32K views 110 replies 56 participants last post by  wfh2ii94 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am wondering what the top speed of my '01 Taurus SE with the 3.0 vulcan (non-flex fuel) motor is, as limited by the governor (not that I am going to attempt it).

Also, does the computer cut the fuel until the car is stopped, or just until the car slows down to a 'safer' speed?

Again, I am not attempting to beat on my beloved Taurus, I am just curious :)

Thanks!

#2 ·
tever the speed limit is on the road you are driving is the top end of your Taurus :p

Someone will chime in.... I thought 112 or so on the Vulcans, unless chipped.

I believe it is a fuel cutoff, cut down.... It is that way on my (Work) Trep.... Scares the **** outta me when it kicks in... It's like the tranny droppin to 3rd and back up, over and over and over, really fast.

#3 ·
yeah. its 112 on stock programming.

#5 ·
^^^ freakin awesome!! I need to take a pic of my needle burried in the dash. I so hated my speed limiter. Many a honda thought they had won when they flew by me at slightly faster than 112. ric0rs!

#6 ·
It wont slow down all the way if you hit the limiter. Mine would hit the limiter at 112mph then suddenly drop down to 100mph, even if I still had it floored. As soon as it hit 100 mph it would charge right back to 112mph where it hit the limiter again. It is a delicate balance to keep it right at ~110mph without hitting the limiter. Plus, I dont know if it cuts fuel or ignition, but it definitely takes the power away for a couple seconds.

#9 ·
Two real good ideas going on here:

1 - going that fast on public roads

2 - Taking your attention off the road and driving to take a picture.........

#10 ·
Mine hits it and you feel it, but stays right at the 110 mark, it just stays at 110 and won't go any faster (but it certianly has more go in it)....it won't decelerate like Joe's does...that's rather odd :huh:

#11 ·
Originally posted by submariner@Sep 16 2004, 11:12 AM
I think it kicks you into neutral or similar for a few seconds, but I can't be sure on that
Nope... it cuts the fuel injectors back to like 20% duty and yanks back the timing accordingly. In the SHO, it will bounce from 144-140 and back again very quickly. Unless, of course, you have the chip switched on...

#12 ·
I hit 185km/h which i think is 112mph in my 1999 sable wagon w/ vulcan and i had like 5 ppl in the car so if you remove the limiter you can pass that real easy!
it doesnt kick me into neutral btw
just sticks at the top speed
oh also the limiter is actually at 180 but i was going down i slight incline...oh and also that was before i found out that my tires were rated for only 160km/h... :blink:

#14 ·
well i gotta go out on the hi-way, gotta follow my dad, since the honda need's new plate's i'ma take my mom's sable.

sometime's he speed's, and not realize it, i'm curious anyway even though i know it'll probaly hit the limit unless the previous owner had put in a exxess police ecu . . . . . .

but ever since i found this site i've been more curious about how the car was taken care of, so i'll probaly give him a visit. . . . .

plus i find it rediculous cause for one, most of em display 120mph, but the limit is 112, how come they just won't put down 0-100mph display.

like the accord, it has a display's up to 130, and it could reach it.

#15 ·
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Sep 16 2004, 01:26 PM
All I got to say is going speeds over 120mph is kinda freaky, Its perfectly smooth. :ph34r:
I tell ya what, it's frustrating to be minding my own business going with the flow of traffic and being used as a slalom cone by some idjit that thinks he or she has gotta go as fast as possible but can't deal with a corner or unexpected debris in the road or blowout then spins out or flips or hits someone else and causes a big traffic jam.

#16 ·
I know in my 82 Datsun 280 the speedo topped out at 85, which translated to like 3400 rpm in 5th. I used to stretch it out to like 5500 on the interstate...I wonder how fast I was going.. :unsure:

#17 ·
Lead, follow, or get outta' da' way!!!!!!! I've burried the needle a couple times on my 98 SE (w/JET chip)... real scary!!! Even w/Brake Suspension, & wheel/tire upgrades!!! Tauruses weren't meant to go that fast!!! - Ahh who cares, no guts no
glory! Or GORY if you wreck! LOL!!!!!

B)

#18 ·
Originally posted by sable-gs@Sep 16 2004, 01:34 PM
well i gotta go out on the hi-way, gotta follow my dad, since the honda need's new plate's i'ma take my mom's sable.

sometime's he speed's, and not realize it, i'm curious anyway even though i know it'll probaly hit the limit unless the previous owner had put in a exxess police ecu . . . . . .

but ever since i found this site i've been more curious about how the car was taken care of, so i'll probaly give him a visit. . . . .

plus i find it rediculous cause for one, most of em display 120mph, but the limit is 112, how come they just won't put down 0-100mph display.

like the accord, it has a display's up to 130, and it could reach it.
Duratec's are good for over 130.... Kermit hit 135 in his according to the laptop :)

#19 ·
Originally posted by DeltarMN+Sep 16 2004, 05:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeltarMN @ Sep 16 2004, 05:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by sfhess@Sep 16 2004, 01:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DeltarMN
@Sep 16 2004, 01:26 PM
All I got to say is going speeds over 120mph is kinda freaky, Its perfectly smooth.  :ph34r:

I tell ya what, it's frustrating to be minding my own business going with the flow of traffic and being used as a slalom cone by some idjit that thinks he or she has gotta go as fast as possible but can't deal with a corner or unexpected debris in the road or blowout then spins out or flips or hits someone else and causes a big traffic jam.
Gee wiz, I really hope that coment wasn't directed at me. Cuz if it was, you just opend a can of whoop ass. [/b][/quote]
Don't worry... I got yer back!

*notice cruise control light is on... and look how straight that highway is?!?! I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso

#21 ·
my speedo ends at 85. i pass that on a daily basis. its interesting that i can go from I96 @ southfeild freeway to I96@ I94 doin 85 the whole way, even around the big sweepin turns. its fun. but i really really need to install my sho cluster. i dont know how fast im goin way too often. havnt hit my limiter yet, and ive tried

#23 ·
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Sep 16 2004, 06:12 PM
Gee wiz, I really hope that coment wasn't directed at me.  Cuz if it was, you just opend a can of whoop ass.
Nope. Just at folks who go way too fast for conditions and do not have the skills to deal with anything other than straight line driving.

Part of the reason for the speed limiter function in the PCM has to do with liability in exceeeding the speed rating of the OEM tires.

#24 ·
Originally posted by sfhess+Sep 17 2004, 10:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sfhess @ Sep 17 2004, 10:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DeltarMN@Sep 16 2004, 06:12 PM
Gee wiz, I really hope that coment wasn't directed at me.  Cuz if it was, you just opend a can of whoop ass.
Nope. Just at folks who go way too fast for conditions and do not have the skills to deal with anything other than straight line driving.

Part of the reason for the speed limiter function in the PCM has to do with liability in exceeeding the speed rating of the OEM tires. [/b][/quote]
and I'm not trying to spread any ill will either. I completely agree with sfhess. I hate idiots that drive too fast for conditions.

Here's a short story right out of yesterdays news in Austin. Two cars were racing along the interstate during rush hour. One cut off a PT Cruiser. The driver of the PT Cruiser swerved and swiped a semi and suffered major damage, the semi then swerved and smashed into the concrete center barrier and overturned. Both drivers were taken to the hospital with serious non-life threatening injuries. The racers have not been caught.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_sto...asp?ArID=119715

#25 ·
I can never get my taurus past 88mph ever since I put my chip in.....a flux compacitor.
But when I do hit 88mph I travel through time, must be a glitch in the chip, gotta send it back to the company for another one, just haven't gotten around to it.

-Legolyn

edit*- posted from the future

#26 ·
Originally posted by submariner+Sep 17 2004, 06:45 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (submariner @ Sep 17 2004, 06:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sfhess@Sep 16 2004, 08:36 AM
Two real good ideas going on here:

1 - going that fast on public roads

2 - Taking your attention off the road and driving to take a picture.........
It was I=80 in Northern Nevada... trust me, there was no danger aside from boredom there! [/b][/quote]
I'm familar w/ I-80. Although there's plenty of hills in the section closest to Reno. I perfer US 95 myself. Got a Windstar upto 110 MPH and my Sable upto 100 MPH on that road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.