Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out of my breakfast spot today (20002 Taurus) and onto the main road when the car just quit ... the engine stopped running. Pushed it to the side and got in and I was able to start it and drive to work. Could my exiting the driveway somehow triggered that switch that kills the fuel flow in the event of a rear-end collision. Battery and terminals are fine .. never had a car just die like this. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
Inertia switch doesnt reset itself when triggered, but the inertia switch can become intermittant and cause your problem. Posible fuel pump on its way out?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel pump ?

Will a fuel pump go gradually or just die. If the engine died I assume the fuel flow had stopped. When I started the car again would the pump, that just failed, began working again. Confused .. sorry

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Could be anything right now, a lesson too, don't assume anything. Fuel flow/pressure might not have been an issue. A fuel pump can die instantly and start back up after it cools for a period of time. It may also not start and require some hitting on the bottom of the fuel tank to free it up. (Which will not always work). To really determine if the fuel was an issue with the stalling you would have to have it happen again with a pressure gauge hooked up. Without that you'd only be guessing.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
When it stopped, did the CEL/SES lamp light up???? If so, run this puppy by your favorite autoparts store for a no cost computer trouble code scan & post All trouble code Numbers found, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
^^^^ If the engine dies with the key in run, the CEL will always light up since the PCM lost the CKP signal due to the engine stopping.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
when the fuel pump starts to go, you will get better mpg and the pump sounds loud and slow. ( 99 % of the time ) how has the idle been? has it had a slow crank or long crank? how has the power been?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Had this same thing happen occasionally over a few hundred miles with my '03. Traced to the fuel pump. Found that voltage at the pump (in the tank as most are) was way below what it was supposed to be so maybe check that. Did have a fuel code but also misfire on occasion. (Your engine icon flashing off and on)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts