Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 97 Taurus SHO had a problem that it would die everytime I turned the steering wheel. I put a used wiring harness in it and that problem went away but a new one arrived. The car idles over 3000 rpms in park or neutral. When I first start it up, the car revs up high, and then it dies. I don't know if the 20 degree temps is causing the car to die at start up or what. If i give the engine some gas, the car will not die. The car idles fine in all the other gears. When I put the car in drive or reverse, the car jumps from going from the 3000 to the 1000. It has a brand new IAC, TPS, used wiring harness. I have an engine code of p1506. I had it checked and it means idle air control overspeed error. My guess is that this is either the plug or the wiring to the IAC valve. I'm going to take the old plug from the old harness and see if that makes a difference. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. This car seems to be problem after problem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just looked it up real quick, and the service CD says this can be caused by a short to ground in the IAC circuit, or a bad or stuck IAC. You mentioned you replaced the IAC, so I would check the IAC harness for a short to ground with a multimeter.

These cars are known for melting the wire harness that's under the upper intake, rear surge tank. Is that the harness you replaced?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts