Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone. I got some really messed up ideas I want to do to my car. First off I would like to replace with 2000 Ford Taurus SE seats... driver side is powered passengers isn't.. with either leather seats... which is easy to do.. or I would like to replace them with a ford taurus sho seats. which are 40x more comfortable.. just wondering if the interior size and all would allow me to put those seats in. and the same goes for the back. I know it's like 6 bolts or something hold the back bench in place... I've already taken them out. Don't ask why.. and well can someone help me out.. please..

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
SHO seats will not work in a gen 4. Actually, the ONLY seats that will work in a gen 4 are gen 4 seats.

The wiring is completly different. It has an extra harness and the power seat harness is also different. So no, you can't put in SHO seats...UNLESS...you do some custom wiring. Trust me. I tried.

Also...looking at your signature...you do NOT have an 3.0L V6 Yamaha. Your's is either a 3.0L V6 VULCAN or a 3.0L V6 Duratec. If it's a Duratec it will say "DURATEC 24 VALVE V6 on the engine. (see attached pic.) If it's a vulcan, it will say "3.0L V6." Also, if you have the Duratec it will say "24V DOHC" on the fender.

They quit making the V6 Yamaha in the Taurus in 1995. After that, the Taurus with the Yamaha was a 3.4L 32V V8. That ended in 1999.

-Kyle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
if they bolt in, which they should...and your gen 4 does NOT have saide airbags (not sure if they had em that year) then all you need to "custom wire" is the two wires for the seatbelt swich (plarity does not matter) and the two wires for power to the seat, (polarity DOES matter).

Size wise, they should fit fine. As for the back, i dont know if it will work, the clips are the same, for the bottom, not sure about the back.

Brad

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for help. The wiring is not the problem. Thats the easy stuff. My buddy is a master electrican at this kinda stuff. I just am hoping they will fit. but idk. I will have to do some more indepth looking into it. I might say screw it and just go with Gen 4 leather seats. I can get the passenger, driver and back all for $100.. and yes I said $100. you can find some good stuff at a junk yard. Thanks again.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
They WILL fit...no problem about that. They bolt right up. It's just they wont WORK. Sorry, I should have worded my post better.

And I'm so happy for you, afi292...me too!

M

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Mar 31 2004, 01:07 PM
Wait, kjw, You have side airbags in your g3?
yeah, how is that possible?? i want side air bags, lower my insurance please!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
They added the side airbag option for the gen 4 in the year 2000, which was the first year. My 2000 has them.

-DC

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Lol, I was just being sarcastic.

My gen 3 doesn't have them. My gen 4 did. It kinda looked weird with SIDE AIR BAG stitched into the side. Our Explorer just has a sticker that says SIDE AIR BAG on the floor near the seat.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
know what i'd love? two tone cent. edition leather seats w/ side air bags in my car.. hmmmmm

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Yeah those are nice...and you know what? They are ALL leather...not one piece on the seat is vinyl. On the regular Taurus seats the only parts that are leather is the part you sit on. The side parts and the back are all vinyl. I guess thats why it's called "leather SEATING surfaces."

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Mar 31 2004, 11:42 AM
They WILL fit...no problem about that. They bolt right up. It's just they wont WORK. Sorry, I should have worded my post better.

And I'm so happy for you, afi292...me too!
Ok so what do you mean they wont work.. if your talking about the power mode and all that for the seats.. thats no problem. i got that covered..

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
The power seats wont work. There is like two wires on the gen 3 seats (4 on the SHO seats.) The gen 4 has around 12 wires. Again, it's for the personal safety system and the side air bags.

So if yoiu got the power issue worked out, then all you need are the seats. They WILL bolt up perfect. I've had gen 3 seats in a gen 4. The power just wont work without custom work.

-Kyle

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Mar 31 2004, 10:44 PM
The power seats wont work. There is like two wires on the gen 3 seats (4 on the SHO seats.) The gen 4 has around 12 wires. Again, it's for the personal safety system and the side air bags.
Side Air Bags? what year you talking about.. a 2000 or the sho edition seats?

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
The GEN 4 Taurus has side air bags as an option: (year 2000 up till now.) You'd know if you had side air bags...stitched into the side of your seat would be "SIDE AIR BAG" you CAN'T miss it. Also, if you have side air bags, it's part of a package that gives you traction control, ABS, adjustable pedals, and the side air bags.

Not available on the gen 3 (1996-1999)

-Kyle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts