Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
While at the JY today, someone brought in a Gen3 SHO. 156K miles. The guy bought it several years ago with the intent of fixing it up. Rust was too bad, so he junked it today. He said it ran when he bought it. Looks like it had been sitting a while. Driver's seat trashed. Passenger side good (gray color). 3 of the 4 wheels were good, stained, but no peeling chrome. A sad ending.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
This SHO is gone. Apparently off to the crusher/shredder. Quite sad. The Gen4 Sable with the nice front seats in a nearby row is gone as well. That's a bummer because I really wanted the seats.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
This SHO is gone. Apparently off to the crusher/shredder. Quite sad. The Gen4 Sable with the nice front seats in a nearby row is gone as well. That's a bummer because I really wanted the seats.
Story of my experience, you snooze you looze. :lol2:
As to nice weather, 6 years ago last couple weeks of Feb, went down I-81 looking for my daughter a Bull, low rust area below Scranton and down to near Philly. Weather, sunny nice, snow mostly gone or I would not have driven at the time. First week march, went down on a Sat, bought a car in Wilkes-Barre. Nice weather. Mon we planned to go pick up and our interstate closed for ~8-9" snow. Mid morn one lane plowed to Binghamton, but I-81 below NY line blowing snow in the cuts and lots of cars off in the median, wreckers out towing. Snow all the way down, maybe only 2" at WB. By afternoon on the way home, all lanes of interstate open but ramps bad. March snows are a real threat. Good news, the March snows do not last long.

Keep the snow shovel handy. :D

Oh yes, car totaled 4 week later in wind storm tree fall. 76K later and 6 years, car still running fine. Character dents on the roof and fender.

-chart-

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Had to get a sub amp for the parents Expedition today, but I popped over to the car section.

Someone got a little...enthusiastic about getting the CVT out of a Freestyle:

And I came across this:

Black '96, Saddle interior. Leather was shot, car had 180k on the ticker.

Chromies weren't worth grabbing, sadly:

They had six Gen 1's, an '87, a '89, and four '91s, wagons and sedans alike.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Looking at local Pick A Part nearly every day now that the snow is gone and the big lot of incoming cars are being processed and showing up on the lot.
'04 Sable posted Friday, I am there Mon morning. Tires off the car in the picture. I got 2 inside the office on the used tire rack, $30 per including tax and no core. I went back mid week in case the mates showed up and they did not. I drive by the lot on the way to Walmart. See on the lot a Taurus with the 5 spoke wheels by the fence but not processed. Hit in the pas door. I would like another pair of the wheels to match.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Same day, rotors and drums. Near new, rotors still have the grind swirls showing. They had mud in the fins. I hosed the mud out and it rained and they got surface rust from my water. I sanded the surface with vibrating sander to remove that rust. Drums did not have rust bead yet and they pulled off with no effort. Cost $17 per unit.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Three trips, one scouting, one for 2 wheels and off to Wendys for lunch and rest. Back for the other 2 along with 21 lug nuts. Hosed off the mud and cleaned up the lug nuts. The spare nut was off the ground but turns out not worth the effort to pick up. Removing lugs back on the far side of the lot with wheels that want to turn is not fun for old coot with bad knees. Nice weather, 68F and sunny. Wheels $30 per including tax.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
FRI (5/18) & SAT (5/19): 50% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE YARD ****FRIDAY & SATURDAY ONLY****

Horseheads Pick-A-Part.

Hope to be there.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Three trips, one scouting, one for 2 wheels and off to Wendys for lunch and rest. Back for the other 2 along with 21 lug nuts. Hosed off the mud and cleaned up the lug nuts. The spare nut was off the ground but turns out not worth the effort to pick up. Removing lugs back on the far side of the lot with wheels that want to turn is not fun for old coot with bad knees. Nice weather, 68F and sunny. Wheels $30 per including tax.

-chart-
I wish I could find deals like that here in Jersey. There's a u-pull-it place not too far from here that I want to go to, but I KNOW I'd cause a lot of damage to my bank account :)

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Flea market not so different than junkyard.
Car show at the fair grounds today, maybe 200 cars historic to modern, show cars, fire engines and such. In the pic, I picked up these, $2, $1, $5 in order. Big spender. Checked the calibration on the TQ and set it for 100, it will be my lug tightener in place of the 3/8" which is OK but bit too short.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Pic of JY today, went early as it is supposed to be 97F today.
Went last Monday with our son who was visiting from ~700 miles away. Some of his inlaw relative called and was in a panic. Chrysler 300 with 3.7L and he had broken/damaged a fuel rail removing an injector. Nothing in any JY near enough for them, but I found one at our local. Son and I went and pulled it and it was maybe 5 minutes for us to remove the clips and bolts. Plastic. First for me plastic fuel rail. Any $20 and we were on our way home. While passing Ford isle I saw a DOHC and knew I need to return for the plastic shield for the Alt belt. 14 bulls on the lot, only one DOHC. Shield missing from my '03, thanks to bad shops. Fairly easy pull and on the way down the isle I saw these tires on '06.
Easy pull as the lugs were not double tight, just a hard pull. Home and they have solid 7/32 tread, good alloys, and balance 0.5 each side. I have seen up to 3 oz on Goodyears. $30 per wheel, including tax. Can't let that pass.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
JY tire pressure

So, I checked pressure. At the JY I watch for soft tires as they likely leak around the bead. These were hard. My gage, 0-60 very accurate round gage and: 55# on the first one, second pegged the hand past 60. So I used a 0-100# which is not as accurate and it was ~70#. Just a bit of info about how the rest of the world lives. And the tires were inside the shop, not out in the sun as the earlier picture. Out in the direct 90F+ and I might have been at risk. BOOM!
-chart-

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took my white 95 Taurus GL to Crazy Ray's in Edgwood, MD about a month ago. It should still have lots of good parts on it. It was hit on a driver's side and had damage to the left side passenger door and left side quarter panel. The rear bumper is gone and the left rear axle is bent. The mileage at the time of the accident was only 107k.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
55f AND sunny today. Snow all melted. Went by the JY today and looked for a driver's seat, leather gray. Found a very nice one. Will return when I get a chance.
Changed how they do things. All Bulls no wheels. They removed them and put them in the office. Set of 4 on 5 spoke wheels, Like new tread maybe 95% by finger feel. $230 so I though high, but not really. Since they get $30 per but not that good tread. They get more for a set of 4 per wheel than singles. I do not need them, just sharing.

-chart
Update, went by with my tire gage and top one solid 8/32. However third down more like 5/32. I did not unstack to see what that is. Top one date code week 23 of 2018 so less than a year old. So I just went out in the yard to check out the gray leather seat again for condition. Looks good may take it later when the weather is no looking like rain.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Local yard, about 2 miles from the apartment, 5 from the house. My wagon seat was used hard by previous owner, some leather opened up and foam showing through. This from '00 Bull. I got wheel borrow and out to the far back corner for this. Then found the one back bolt needed 18mm deep wall as it is the seat belt anchor. So, back to the house to get a socket and back to the back corner and got it all out.

Pic shows my "whatever works" to get the motor to run for and back to reach the bolts. My battery is 12V impact driver and the wires are what I can find in my junk.
$25 total. Tired old coot now, got cortisone shot in knees yesterday and they have not taken hold fully yet. Nice 45 degree sunny day, make hay when the sun shines. Rusty car with 112K miles.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I took these mats to pad my seat from the dirty wheel borrow. Checkout said keep them. Unusual for a 18 year old car but they had put rubber mats over them. Those were trash. Washed and drying on the patio. Ones in my wagon wrong color and very worn.

-chart-

Attachments

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
22 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing