Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Found an 04 Sable with the black leather interior and the full wood grain treatment (including steering wheel).

Found an 01 Taurus with the tan interior. Extremely clean carpets and seats. I've never seen one that clean in JY before. Somebody took the driver's side door, so it won't be clean for much longer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Was at the jy yesterday and cam across a 3rd gen silver taurus gl that someone had done a rear disc brake conversion to, looks like the car had been sitting for a long time and in horrible shape but still got a good look at the work involved in it. Walked away with a vacuum distribution block and a corner running lamp that day and managed to find the day before a good condition coil pack off a gen 3 sable. I've got the dark grey interior with cloth seats but would like leather but can't seem to find anything in my area. Short on cash at the moment too lol....

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Cont leather shifter, slider/flag not broken, spare screws, spare light bulbs, got 3, 2 are good. 658 correct bulb for this. Opened up 3 before finding a flag not broken.

Easy access to the console parts as per pic. Parts quite dirty so I used household ammonia and a tooth brush on them to clean. Pic is my car, not in the JY.

Used 5/8" wide strip of shelf liner and pliers to coax the bulbs out in the JY. 100% success;)

Saddle soap on the leather shifter and it is ready to install. My wagon has one, now my sedan will also.

Nice hot day, no mud.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Saw an 03 Taurus Sport with an extremely clean interior at the JY today. Non-smoker, no rips, tears, or dirty spots. All pieces are still in the car. Silver trim pieces don't have any scratches. If anyone is interested, it's at Gary's U-Pull-It in Binghamton, NY. This car has been place out in the yard in the past week.

There are 2 Taurus Sports on the lot right now. What are the odds of that?

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
At the Pick A Part today, total $10.56.
About hour home to home.

Have not tested the antenna but there is another one out there is this one is not good. One on my wagon is bent but still grinds up and down with some noise. bit of a trick to get one out.

The Lin trim emblem goes bad if in the sun too much. Mine starting to fade.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
At the Pick A Part today, total $10.56.
About hour home to home.

Have not tested the antenna but there is another one out there is this one is not good. One on my wagon is bent but still grinds up and down with some noise. bit of a trick to get one out.

The Lin trim emblem goes bad if in the sun too much. Mine starting to fade.

-chart-
Switched out the original trim for the JY trim which was in nice shape.
Rare find, 4 screws, 2 mins max to remove.
Pic of the old one out of my Lin. :angry:

-chart-

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Holy grail of junkyard finds today. A green 96 loaded sable with JBL audio :) have to go back later for the subwoofer. Everything was in great shape. Anyone know what the differene is between the JBL sail tweeters and the mach ones? I noticed the JBL ones had extra wiring to the 6x8. Is it also worth stealing the rear speakers?

I also found a gen 4.5 silver cluster from an 05 Sable. Quite rare if Im not mistaken. My jaw dropped when I saw it. Had that bad boy out in 20 minutes when it was my first time popping a dash open :lol2:

Also pulled a Mach system from a 98 SHO the other day. The RCU seems to be water damaged though, or theres a connection problem since it cuts out for a second and the volume resets sometimes. Have to open it and see. Sounds great though. Hopefully the JBL is even better.

Also found three* cargo nets, all in fine shape. Decent black factory mats from one of those oddball dark black interior bulls, and an SJB from an 05 Sable with RKE and DRL. This place is awesome. Total spent so far is only like 100 bucks...

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
The 2003 and newer Sables had silver gauge faces.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The 2003 and newer Sables had silver gauge faces.
I saw one that had the boring black one, the 05 I pulled the SJB out of. This particular 05 was the only one with silver faces. Of course my sample size wasnt realistic so youre probably right, but its still nice to have to put in my cluster for only 20 buckaroos :lol2: Actually I know why that one was black. Motor was blown and they must have swapped in a junkyard vulcan and cluster from a dead car.

Also how do you pull out those Gentex mirrors? An guides around here? It had one but im not sure where to cut or how to remove.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
^ 99% of the Sables I saw in the yard were the second one. Charcoal or silver accent with black faces. Here is the one I pulled:

It's not rare like I thought, but what is generally uncommon from what I've seen is to see 04 and 05 Sables in the yard. I know production was way lower near the end so I guess it makes sense. Plus I'd assume a decent amount are still on the road.

Anyway, everyone likes pictures, so here are some of the fun!

Our first donor, a 1998 SHO in White. Not sure why she was in here, although with the odometer forever locked at 133,560, I'm presuming cams walked. This one was a family hauler. Not bad shape, but the body had certainly succumbed to salty winters. Floor mats were ruined or I would have stolen them. Maybe Josh wants some parts? Airbags were intact.

Second donor, 05 Sable. Most options including adjustable pedals, DRL, etc. Had DOHC badges, but there was strangely a Vulcan under the hood (which I stole some vacuum lines from). Given the cluster was black like the Taurus, I presume that the previous owner blew the Tec' (Not sure how other than failing to change oil) and had a shop drop in this junkyard motor. Had 106,500 when it died from a trans failure. Body was MINT. Like, Seattle mint. Never seen anything like it. Must have been undercoated because it was white underneath. Subframe had a few tickles of rust but wow. Guess they got fed up with the breakdowns when they junked it. Shame.

Here are some more goodies. Mach tweeters from the SHO and one of three cargo nets I found. Can never have enough net.

I also pulled some JBL tweeters from the 96 Sable I found, but didn't buy them yet since they're wired for crossover and I wasn't sure there would be any point over the Mach ones (since I have to splice into the 6x8 speaker source anyway). Need to go back and pull the Woofer from the 96 at the very least, but I might take the rear speakers too. Need to find a Gen 4 Parcel shelf with rear speaker support. Ford got so cheap near the end that I don't even have rear speakers, lel. Already bought the JBL RCU, but it doesn't sound good with no sub because it's not set up to send bass signal to the main speakers, just the sub.

Mach Unit from the SHO is installed, although probably not for long. The trunk was definitely open for quite some time and the casing was starting to rust. Having an issue with it where the sound stops for a second and the volume resets at random. Did the self test and got 7, which apparently is EEPROM Stereo Var failure. I opened it up and went through it with a fine toothed comb. Everything looked mint inside, so it's probably a failed IC and was doing this in the SHO too when it last ran. I cleaned all the connections and put it back in. We'll see if it behaves now. If not, looks like Durasel is getting some dosh from me after all :lol2:

Anyway, enough rambling for now. I'll get more pictures when I go back. I still need rear fold down seats from the Sable, push pins from the gen 3 (why did Ford cheap out and stop using all of them as the slide pin style and go to christmas trees?), a bumper cover from an 05, and I need to bring a crowbar and crack open a few 02 Lincoln Continentals for the goodies contained within. At least a shifter knob.

Treasure hunting is fun. Photos broked, trying to fix

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Need to find a Gen 4 Parcel shelf with rear speaker support. Ford got so cheap near the end that I don't even have rear speakers, lel.
Eh? I know they cut costs but no speakers? That's the first I've heard of that.

Ford actually started readding stuff later on, I think they felt bad. 2004 is honestly the worst year, IMO, as it's the most gutted.

As for late model Sables, Chicago stopped making DN101 cars in April '04, so production was cut, then the Sable was killed April '05, so it was a shorter production year. Shame, as I actually think the '04-'05 Sables are some of the best looking.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Eh? I know they cut costs but no speakers? That's the first I've heard of that.

Ford actually started readding stuff later on, I think they felt bad. 2004 is honestly the worst year, IMO, as it's the most gutted.

As for late model Sables, Chicago stopped making DN101 cars in April '04, so production was cut, then the Sable was killed April '05, so it was a shorter production year. Shame, as I actually think the '04-'05 Sables are some of the best looking.
Yep, there's no grille on my shelf that would indicate their presence. No wiring in the trunk either. No plug for rear speakers for the RCU. Just deleted. Not sure if it was a fleet delete kind of thing or what. But I certainly plan to rectify the situation since I have almost two dozen cars I can loot stuff from.

And I totally agree the last gen were the best looking. The one the cluster came out of had all wood trim (including shifter), EATC, leather seats, woodgrain premium steering wheel, aluminum rims, the works. Real sharp looking. The Merlot one was nice too. I'm actually kind of sad that it's in the yard at all. I bet all that happened was the torque converter stripped. The body was literally perfect (the damage in the pic is from the forklift).

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Yep, there's no grille on my shelf that would indicate their presence. No wiring in the trunk either. No plug for rear speakers for the RCU. Just deleted. Not sure if it was a fleet delete kind of thing or what. But I certainly plan to rectify the situation since I have almost two dozen cars I can loot stuff from.

And I totally agree the last gen were the best looking. The one the cluster came out of had all wood trim (including shifter), EATC, leather seats, woodgrain premium steering wheel, aluminum rims, the works. Real sharp looking. The Merlot one was nice too. I'm actually kind of sad that it's in the yard at all. I bet all that happened was the torque converter stripped. The body was literally perfect (the damage in the pic is from the forklift).

Oh lol, I see your problem. The Gen 4's didn't have speaker grilles, it's just perforated. And there isn't a separate rear speaker plug. The wiring is hidden under your upper trunk lining. I bet you have speakers there.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Oh lol, I see your problem. The Gen 4's didn't have speaker grilles, it's just perforated. And there isn't a separate rear speaker plug. The wiring is hidden under your upper trunk lining. I bet you have speakers there.
Hmm, odd. Could have sworn I saw a gen 4 with grilles. Maybe an 02? I'll have to double check that. It wasn't a long one piece grille like on a Gen 3, it was two on each side.

But I guess that's nice to know. Really thought it was just the fronts for a while....

Guess the Mach system would have sounded way crappier if that was the case though. Apparently the one I pulled might be a "Mach1" so to speak, which is supposed to be better? I put the JBL in for lols but it sounds really bad with no bass at all. I mean the clarity is great, but its about the same as the Mach, which isn't supposed to be the case. Although from what little searching I did it seems the first 2 year run of the Mach system was basically identical to the JBL RCU just without crossover and sub support. What JBL do you have in your car?

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
One from a Lincoln Continental actually. :)

But I had one from a '96 Sable before that.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
I have aftermarket Pioneer speakers. The Conti unit I have allegedly has 40W for the sub rather than 20, but I have no way to confirm that. The factory JBL speakers are pretty old at this point, it's the sub that actually has value.

I would note that the Conti RCU has a different bracket, the guy I bought it from had modified it to use a Taurus bracket.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I have aftermarket Pioneer speakers. The Conti unit I have allegedly has 40W for the sub rather than 20, but I have no way to confirm that. The factory JBL speakers are pretty old at this point, it's the sub that actually has value.

I would note that the Conti RCU has a different bracket, the guy I bought it from had modified it to use a Taurus bracket.
Ah I see. I was planning just to steal the sub :)

Going to take the wire harness for it too to save time.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
22 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing