Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nick986 and I started this project to help everyone with identifying the Taurus/Sable. We made this basic guide for the newbies so they know what Gen and motor they have. First thing's first, yes we know about the individual changes that happenes every few years and that is not shown in this guide (For example- different taillights and front clip on '96/'97 and '98/'99 models are not shown in this guide, but will be on the advanced version). This is a simple guide for quick ID by body style and engine. And another thing, an '04 is a G4. It's not a G5 or a G4.5. If it was a G4.5, then the '99/'98 would be G3.5. See, it's kinda confusing, ain't it? So we tried to make this as simple as possible. We are working on an advanced guide with the different changes, but it's not gonna be totally indepth down to the point on what options the cars get in the different trim levels. Just the simple stuff to quickly ID the car. So, don't anyone freak out with all the technicalities.

http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Basic.php

*** Edit 12-23-04 ***

Thanks to Adam B. for hosting the guide on the TCCA server!

Now there's an easy to remember link!

G1 and G2 year-by-year guides are done. Specifications, engines, and transaxle pages are done. We will be adding little things now and then so it's not absolute.

Main Page:
http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/index.php

Latest Updates:
http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Update.php

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

BTW, I've got a few questions.

On the G2 floor-shift (including SHOs), was the gear indicator P R N OD D 1 or P R N D 2 1? I have a picture of the latter, but I don't know if that's a SHO specific or if it applied to all floor-shift models.

Also I got a PM telling me that the '89 door panels had chrome trim and a small bulge near the dash and '90-'91 door panels don't. I don't know if that's SHO specific or on all models.

Concerning the G3s, Nick and I were debating last night about this Taurus G on eBay. It had shiney black mirrors and body-colored B-pillars on the doors (near the windows). Nick claims that it never came that way and that they had dull black mirrors and black B-pillars. Is that car just a freak or what?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by SaturdaysVulcan@Dec 22 2004, 01:24 AM
Taurus' G model Gen 3's, got body colored B pillars, my friends grandma, and a few other G model Taurus' ive seen are like that, I think her mirrors might be a dull black though. I'll check and get back to you.
Well, I stand corrected! :lol2: I was looking at the 97 Taurus sales brochure I got of EBay and they don't list b-pillars being painted, and its hard to tell from the picture they have. Thanks Nick :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to Adam for hosting the guide on the TCCA server! Now we've got an easy to remember link! And perfect timing too! The other site just went down again!

http://www.taurusclub.com/encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Awesome information guys! Thumbs up, nice job.

Also it's encyclopaedia

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
OK folks, I'm in need of some assistance. Im trying to figure out some things. (GEN 3)

1.) What's the deal with the body-colored side skirts? I've seen 96/97 SHO/LX/LS get em, but some GL/GS etc... :blink:

2.) Same as above, except who got the body color mirrors?

3.) I was looking at the 98 Taurus brochure I have, and it lists the security system as SecuriLock. I thought it was PATS. So what is it? :lol2: PATS or SecuriLock?

4.) I've noticed some variety in the flip-fold consoles. Theres the standard one with 3 drink holders(or is it two, with a coin cup), one with two cup holders and a car phone, and finally one with a tape storage w/ and w/out a door and 3 cup holder/2 cup, change holder deal.

5.) When did Ford introduce that column shift model console, that plastic thing that has one cup holder up front and one in the rear, with flip-open storage under the armrest.

6.) Anything fleet-wise I should be aware of? Are there certain fleet-only options?

Thanks again everyone for all your help, and patience. Yes, I'm slow...but I'll finish the Gen 3 part eventually.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're probably better off making a new topic for your questions. Anyways PATS is the thing with the ignition and SecuriLock is like the alarm I think.

And don't get too detailed. I doubt anyone wants to know what year they changed the thread used to make the upholstery. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Originally posted by Bull Geek@Feb 27 2005, 11:18 PM
OK folks, I'm in need of some assistance. Im trying to figure out some things. (GEN 3)

1.) What's the deal with the body-colored side skirts? I've seen 96/97 SHO/LX/LS get em, but some GL/GS etc... :blink:

2.) Same as above, except who got the body color mirrors?

3.) I was looking at the 98 Taurus brochure I have, and it lists the security system as SecuriLock. I thought it was PATS. So what is it? :lol2: PATS or SecuriLock?

4.) I've noticed some variety in the flip-fold consoles. Theres the standard one with 3 drink holders(or is it two, with a coin cup), one with two cup holders and a car phone, and finally one with a tape storage w/ and w/out a door and 3 cup holder/2 cup, change holder deal.

5.) When did Ford introduce that column shift model console, that plastic thing that has one cup holder up front and one in the rear, with flip-open storage under the armrest.

6.) Anything fleet-wise I should be aware of? Are there certain fleet-only options?

Thanks again everyone for all your help, and patience. Yes, I'm slow...but I'll finish the Gen 3 part eventually.
the body colored side skirts came on the SE comfort package in 99...thats all i know

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yay for updates! Unfortunatly we cannot upload to the TCCA server at the moment, but that problem should be solved soon. Here is a preview of things to come:

http://www.taurusclub.com/encyclopedia/Options/1986T.html

As you can see, we have a new menu and a new page. It was inspired by a suggestion someone made a while ago. The new menu is ready to go once we can upload, but the options pages will take a while to compile the data. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
The HSC was not multi-port fuel injected. It used CFI, or Centeral Fuel Injector, which means one injector controlled all four cylenders. In 1988, the Tempo/Topaz got multi-port fuel injection, but my 1988 Ford Taurus L with the HSC did not have it, it still reliaed on the CFI system.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I looked it up in my book and the Taurus I4 was throttle-body injection until '90 and for '91 it gained sequential FI. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
http://www.taurusclub.com/encyclopedia/index.html

Woo-hoo! Upload privliges! New menu, some more stuff. Have fun!

Please tell me if there's any problems you're having with the menu or the scripts. I know sometimes the menu will kinda go wacky if your text size isn't set at default.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Right now I'm converting the current Gen 3 page style to vs. 3.1 that Alex made recently. Sorry that it looks out of place, I'm trying to get it done.

2 quick questions:

1) Did the 99 Sable LS Premium get Gen 3 SHO chromies as part of the "Premium" package or was that a DIO (dealer installed option)? I keep seeing 99 LS Premiums poping up on eBay like these: http://images.auction123.com/A123IH/9c2919...ebimage001l.jpg
http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/e8/53/d7_1_b.JPG

2) Would I be correct to say that Gen 3 Sable sedans have chrome window trim, while Taurus' had black? I've also noticed that all Gen 3 wagons have chrome window trim around the front 4 windows, but the very rear windows lack it? Is this true?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't know about the rims. That could be a DIO.

All Gen III Sable sedans that I've seen have chrome trim around the windows, whether they're a GS, LS, or LS Premium. The Sable also has the chrome trim insert on the doors. That was only available on the LS and LS Prem.

JR

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Apr 23 2005, 05:35 PM
I don't know about the rims. That could be a DIO.

All Gen III Sable sedans that I've seen have chrome trim around the windows, whether they're a GS, LS, or LS Premium. The Sable also has the chrome trim insert on the doors. That was only available on the LS and LS Prem.

JR
Ok thanks, Ill include that. Yea that chrome door trim insert on the doors I knew was an LS only thing. Thanks for the help JR :thumb:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
109 Replies
36 Participants
TaurusSHO
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing