Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Taurus with the 3.0 Duratec engine thats been giving me problems. When the car is cold, it starts up and runs fine for about 15 minutes then it just dies. The car will not restart unless I let it sit overnight and will start the next morning and run great for 15 minutes then dies again and wont restart.

I have only had one code thrown, P0320 and that came up only while trying to restart on one occasion. All other times it hasn’t thrown a code.

I installed a new crank shaft position sensor, plug wires, coil pack, pcv valve and associated vacuum lines and none of this has helped.

I have checked for spark on the front 3 cylinders after the car dies and there is only very weak sporadic spark but mostly no spark at all. I believe something electronic in getting hot and shutting down but am at a loss as to what it could be. Perhaps the PCM?

What other tests could I do? I’m really confused on this one.

As always, help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
And OBD II scanner would be helpful, because it could verify that the PCM is seeing a crank signal etc. Without that your starting point is to chase wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WJC,
I do have a newer Actron scanner but am not sure how to use it in that respect. It seems that I need the factory Ford service manual to decipher the specific tests the scanner does.
I'm new to using scanners, any simple way to check what you suggest?
Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.