Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Today's Bangor Daily News...

Man arrested after high-speed chase on I-95

BENTON - A driver headed north on Interstate 95 at speeds topping 130 mph braked suddenly, causing a state police cruiser that was pursuing him to rear-end his car.

When the Sunday night chase ended in Benton, Maine State Police Trooper Paul Stewart's cruiser was damaged, as was the 1997 Ford Taurus driven by Kurt Morgridge, 29, of Portland.

Neither man was hurt.

Morgridge was arrested and charged with driving to endanger, criminal speed, eluding a police officer, operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants [drugs], possession of Schedule W drugs - crack cocaine - and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The incident began just before 10 p.m. when a state police bomb squad member, in an unmarked truck, alerted dispatchers that a car was speeding north on I-95 from Brunswick, according to Troop C Commander Lt. Dale Lancaster.

A second complaint was received from another off-duty trooper in an unmarked truck. Then someone reported that the car had charged through the Gardiner tollbooth at 60 mph and did not stop.

A Fairfield police officer clocked the car at 133 mph and confirmed that it was still northbound, now without headlights.

Trooper Stewart began chasing the car in Fairfield and, at one point, got close enough to determine a plate number. "As soon as he got close to the car, it began driving erratically, swerving back and forth in front of the cruiser," Lancaster said.

"Then, for no apparent reason, [the Taurus driver] just stood on the brakes," Lancaster said. By this time, the Taurus was smoking badly, apparently having serious mechanical problems.

"It was unavoidable, but Trooper Stewart struck the rear of the Taurus and both cars ended up stopped at the edge of the median at mile marker 136 in Benton," Lancaster said.

Lancaster said state Fire Marshal's Office Investigator Scott Richardson assisted at the highway, where there "was a little tussle" with Morgridge.

Morgridge was taken to the Somerset County Jail in Skowhegan. He told Trooper Sean Kinney that he had a previous drug conviction.

"This was clearly a formula for disaster or a fatality," Lancaster said. "It was fortunate for everyone, the guy we arrested and the trooper, that it ended the way it did."

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i wonder if it was a SHO or chipped tec or vulcan ;)

for it having serious mechanical failures, i would assume it's a vulcan, cause it would seem to be the weakest at 133mph :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
everyone knows a Vulcan won't get up to that speed...well, maybe Jason King's vulcan... :lol2:

That's pretty crazy though. I wish they had specified the trim level in the article.

JR

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is there any 97 (other than a SHO) that is capable of reaching 133 in stock form? I thought governors or rev limiters would kick in...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That has gota be a SHO, cause I think the SHO govenor kicks in @ 140mph. I know the Vulcan/Duratec are much lower than that. Course, that chipped factor comes into play....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by SEL2000@Aug 17 2004, 01:47 PM
yup, this is where is stops the Tec alright, well at least on my 2000

111 or 112MPH 4000RPM
Sunday, 27 June, 2004, 11:20:32 AM (gotta love EXIF info)

Somewhere along I-80, Northern Nevada

112 MPH, ~3700 RPM

2002 SE Vulcan V6 (bone stock)

(Edited: oops, forgot the photo)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not pictured: The Check Engine light was on, my Mass Airflow Sensor went bad in Wyoming as well as a bad PCV hose. Those were later fixed in Hayward, CA ( I was moving from Connecticut to Washington state. Keep in mind, this speed and RPM is including 940 lbs extra weight in the vehicle (including me) it was PACKED with all my personal posessions)

The Gov't paid me to move: $1200 for expenses, $750 for moving my oown stuff, $700 for housing, and $260 for food. I made mad money on that move. Allowed me to live it up on the 25 days of leave I had and take my parents out to dinner at Tony Roma's. ($80 bill that night)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bet he didn't have his cams welded :lol2:
Should've joined the club and he'd know these things!

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I can go 185km/h (yes im canadian) with 5 ppl in my 99 stock vulcan sable (its a wagon too) so dont start makin fun of the vulcan cause it can go but i really doubt that guy was driving one, im going for tha SHO
Even without the limiters i doubt vulcans can go over 120mph/200km/h

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 1987 Sable GS sedan could wind the speedometer needle past 85, all the way around to "Neutral" on the shift quadrant. (Straight down).
Doing some extrapolation from 60 MPH=2000 R/M, and I was turning 4200 R/M, so I was doing about 126 MPH. I think the Vulcan could probably push it to 133...

Don't doubt Vulcan power...

What could have happened if FoMoCo had bored and stroked the Vulcan a bit for more displacement instead of shoehorning the Essex into the Taurus & Sable?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@Aug 20 2004, 10:25 AM
My 1987 Sable GS sedan could wind the speedometer needle past 85, all the way around to "Neutral" on the shift quadrant. (Straight down).
Doing some extrapolation from 60 MPH=2000 R/M, and I was turning 4200 R/M, so I was doing about 126 MPH. I think the Vulcan could probably push it to 133...

Don't doubt Vulcan power...

What could have happened if FoMoCo had bored and stroked the Vulcan a bit for more displacement instead of shoehorning the Essex into the Taurus & Sable?
I had an 88 Sable Vulcan, I remember that too... that was the running joke...

"How fast are you going?"

"Dunno... somewhere between 'D' and '3'."

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
It HAS to be either a chipped and slightly modded 'Tec or a SHO. No other Taurii could go that fast without major mods. LOL at the "Between D and 3" joke. I could do that on my truck but it had a manual, so I was going somewhere between the 200,000 miles that were on it.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Mantioch@Aug 18 2004, 07:52 AM
I bet he didn't have his cams welded :lol2:
Should've joined the club and he'd know these things!
Maybe he was! Anyone we know get arrested lately?

JR

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
maby the smoke was from the undersized brakes ebing pulsed, I don't think the tec would have any problems going every bit of 140 without the limiter.

the 3rd gen SHO limiter hits at 140, don't know what my get 2 hits at, I was going 140 on the dyno and ran out of gear :rolleyes: but I was in third :p .

I think the vulcan could do 140 or so but it would take a while to get up there, and swerving in traffic I don't know that it could maintain that speed.

I would love to be able to play cat and mouse and would in a second... if I wouldent go to jail for it. I guess its 55 for me ;)

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
In all likelihood it was an SHO. I doubt any normal car owner, let alone one that is a drug addict, will go through the trouble of searching online for someone to burn a chip, and do any other mods to the car...such a waste of a good taurus tho :(

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
at least it wasn't totaled... at least not the improtant parts, too bad they will probably send it to the scrap yard :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
My vote goes for a SHO or chipped TEC. The TEC could do those speeds easily with the limiter removed.
Also,you never know what a druggy will or wont do. Its possible Hes an upstanding kinda guy,but cuts er loose on FRI. night. Maybe he went a little overboard this time? Do we have any TCCA members that have gone missing lately?? :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts