Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows if there were any other cars outside of the Sable that were built on the same or a similar platform of the Taurus. I know that a lot of our cars have European cousins but I am not sure about the Taurus. Any direction you all could put me in would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
one of the jag's is based on a slightly improved taurus platform.. i forget which one *scratches head and goes to Google*

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by ryanqzqz@Oct 2 2004, 04:41 PM
one of the jag's is based on a slightly improved taurus platform.. i forget which one *scratches head and goes to Google*
I don't think so. The X-Type is somewhat based on the Ford Modeo platform. The S-Type shares a platform with the Lincoln LS. Neither of these Ford products share a platform with Taurus/Sable.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
None of Jaguar's cars are built on the same platform as the Taurus. The Gen IV Taurus does share the engine with the S-type, I think. The only big difference is that the Jag has VVT and the Taurus does not.

JR

·
Registered
790 Posts
while ford doesn't say anything about it.... the X-Type has disturbing similarities to the taurus when you put em up on a lift and compare the two...... just too much to be coincidence to me.... even if it's not the same platform, it's designed to be awful close

someone else noticed the same thing
link

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The '88-'94 Continental was based on the Taurus platform. I'm not sure about the later models though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The X-type was not based on the Mondeo platform. It SHARES part of the Mondeo's chassis stampings. That's about it, though. So, the X-Type shares part of the current Mondeo platform. The current Mondeo platform is a slightly modified older Mondeo platform, which we experienced here in the US as the Contour/Mystique. This platform predates the Gen3/4 Taurus platform, which was obviously influenced by it. So, technically, you could say that the Taurus is based the X-type platform, or at least an older version of it. You could also say that the earlier Mondeo platform had influences from the Gen1 Taurus platform.

There are probably influences in the current Mondeo platform that were learned during Ford's development of the Gen3/4 Taurus platform. There is extensive part and knowledge sharing at the Ford conglomeration, and we don't know the half of it. I only know what I do because my step-father is a systems integration engineer for Ford, and I bug the crap out of him trying to find out what Ford is up to all the time. While he works mainly with electrical and mechanical systems integration, he also works closely with the guys and gals on the platform integration teams.

IIRC, the DEW98 platform in one form or another serves the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, Ford GT, and the 2005 Mustang (with enough modifications to be classified as a different platform, but still a Dew98 stamping, last I heard). YMMV on these facts, but I'm not too far off if there's a mistake.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had no clue. I knew that the Mondeo and the contour were the same. I sold my contour to a German that fell in love with the idea of having an American Mondeo. As far as the others, I had no idea that Ford produced so many cars with such simularities. Thank you all for the history lesson and I will continue my search over here to find Europen parts to fit my 4th Gen. If I do find things, I will let you all kow and I will try to get some of them available. Thanks again...

·
Registered
17 Posts
est ist toll das er kein europien cars auf die von unsere leichen aber est ist tuer wen man parts kaufen mussen............lol pardon my german couse im not lol :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
The windstar was based off of the Taurus platform...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Not really. The early Windstars shared the same engine/transaxles, but the platform is different. For example, the Taurus has IRS, while the Windstar has a solid beam rear axle. Not to mention the Windstar gets a handbrake while the Taurus has a pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Oct 2 2004, 11:45 PM
The '88-'94 Continental was based on the Taurus platform. I'm not sure about the later models though.
All the FWD Continentals shared the Taurus platform.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by dennis from amsterdam@Oct 3 2004, 10:12 AM
est ist toll das er kein europien cars auf die von unsere leichen aber est ist tuer wen man parts kaufen mussen............lol pardon my german  couse im not lol :lol2:  :lol2:  :lol2:  :lol2:
Something about it being too bad European cars lie on our dead bodies for the door is there to buy mussen parts or some crap like that, laugh, laugh, laugh, smiley face, smiley face.

Don't quote me on this, but I think they Windstar was indeed built on a modified Taurus Chassis. Having a rear beam "axle" makes no difference as it requires no more headroom than a multi-link "axle". I'd need to look at one to see which it has, though. I can imagine it having a beam axle as it would allow placement of the spring and shock forward of the wheel, allowing longer but thinner wheel wells for maximum flat floor space inside the vehicle. Like I stated, a "modified" Taurus chassis.

sfhess- heh, brilliant! Yeah, the FWD conti's, that would be the 88-94's.

Edited for improper placement of html.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Include Continentals from 95 to whenever it was they quit making 'em ('99, '00, not sure). Beautiful things, and 300+ HP from 4.6 mod motors.....

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Was the T'bird and Cougar ever built on a Taurus platform? THe SC and the Gen II SHO look like it.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Oct 4 2004, 03:52 PM
Was the T'bird and Cougar ever built on a Taurus platform? THe SC and the Gen II SHO look like it.
No. Although the rear suspension layout and geometry is generally close to the Taurus/Sable wagons and the wheel bolt pattern is the same. Both use 3.8 engine too. (Gen II Taurus/Sable)

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by FlamingTaco@Oct 4 2004, 02:33 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I think they Windstar was indeed built on a modified Taurus Chassis. Having a rear beam "axle" makes no difference as it requires no more headroom than a multi-link "axle". I'd need to look at one to see which it has, though. I can imagine it having a beam axle as it would allow placement of the spring and shock forward of the wheel, allowing longer but thinner wheel wells for maximum flat floor space inside the vehicle. Like I stated, a "modified" Taurus chassis.

sfhess- heh, brilliant! Yeah, the FWD conti's, that would be the 88-94's.

Edited for improper placement of html.
I recall that the Taurus/Sable platform was stretched for the Continental. It was also used for the Windstar, though I'm not sure how much modification in required.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
the 1989 - 1995 the windstar and the taurus (mainly the wagon). are the same chassy loosely.
the contental is just wider and longer.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Originally posted by FlamingTaco@Oct 4 2004, 01:33 PM
the FWD conti's, that would be the 88-94's.
The Continental was front wheel drive from the late 80s until 2001 when it was discontinued. It had like 280-290HP FWD...kinda crazy.

-Kyle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts