Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if anyone knows this but it can't hurt to try. There's a part in my 94 Taurus GL I can't identify, and without knowing it I have no idea how to find a new one. Googling is getting me nowhere, and calling my dealer didn't help without bringing the car in, which I have to pay for.

This is the black plastic ring that sits behind the headlight assembly and header panel, between them and the radiator support. My passenger side one is broken. If no one knows what it is and I can't buy a new one I think I will try duct taping it together. Does that sound like a good idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Since you have the part out, I would bring it to the dealer or an auto part store, they should be able to help you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've got some "super glue" that is supposed to be good for plastics. I'll try it tonight and see how strong it is. If it's not sturdy I'll try home depot. I thought about trying to melt it together with a fine point soldering iron, but I'm not sure if that would ruin my iron.

·
Registered
809 Posts
QUOTE (mh488 @ May 31 2010, 10:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808236
I found it for you ... check it out on..

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...playCatalogid=0

I would give the glue a shot first, if not then just order a new one, bulb retainer.[/b]

QUOTE (kismetmiss @ May 31 2010, 11:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808240
Thanks, I've got some "super glue" that is supposed to be good for plastics. I'll try it tonight and see how strong it is. If it's not sturdy I'll try home depot. I thought about trying to melt it together with a fine point soldering iron, but I'm not sure if that would ruin my iron.[/b]
That ring holds the headlight bulb into the headlamp assembly, the glue should work but if not you could use the soldering iron, shouldn't hurt it al all, might smell bad with the melting plastic, would do that outside.

Have fun fixing your car, and I must say I admire your take charge attitude with this repair!! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I'm trying to glue it right now. If that isn't strong enough, I'll try the soldering iron trick. Then I'll try the junkyard, I have to go a couple to pick up parts next week anyways. Looked online but it's a tough find.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If the super glue isn't strong enough, the JB Plastic welder (two part epoxy) sold at Autozone will definitely do the trick. For plastics there is nothing stronger!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the Elmer's Super Glue seems to have done the trick, I taped it into place while it dried all day, just put it through a little durability test and it seems to be holding well. I'm going to write down that plastics glue you mentioned though, never know what I might come across in the car that might need a little patching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts