Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CEL on my 2004 Taurus (35k miles) came on a few days back. I went to Check Auto parts and they retrieved "P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit". The guy said EGR valve would have to be replaced. Went to Advance Auto Parts for a second opinion. They retrieved the same code, but said the EGR solenoid will have to be replaed. I am no car expert but I started reading about EGR problems here, and figured a cleanup of the valve might be the first thing to try. I got that done by a local mechanic. But the code came back. Are there any tests I could perform on the solenoid to make sure it is busted? I also read that most of the times, it is the DPFE that thorws EGR rlated code. Is it possible it could be the DPFE when the code points to the solenoid?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
QUOTE (taurus_04_35k @ Apr 22 2009, 03:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719660
The CEL on my 2004 Taurus (35k miles) came on a few days back. I went to Check Auto parts and they retrieved "P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit". The guy said EGR valve would have to be replaced. Went to Advance Auto Parts for a second opinion. They retrieved the same code, but said the EGR solenoid will have to be replaed. I am no car expert but I started reading about EGR problems here, and figured a cleanup of the valve might be the first thing to try. I got that done by a local mechanic. But the code came back. Are there any tests I could perform on the solenoid to make sure it is busted? I also read that most of the times, it is the DPFE that thorws EGR rlated code. Is it possible it could be the DPFE when the code points to the solenoid?

Many thanks.[/b]
From the '02-'03 manual it states the below possible causes for P0403:

-Vacuum supply
-EGR valve stuck closed
-EGR valve leaks vacuum
-EGR flow path restricted
-EGRVR circuit shorted to PWR
-VREF open to D.P.F. EGR sensor
-D.P.F. EGR sensor downstream hose off or plugged
-EGRVR circuit open to PCM
-VPWR open to EGRVR solenoid
-D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses both off
-D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses reversed
-Damaged EGR orifice tube
-Damaged EGRVR solenoid
-Damaged PCM

Also suggests the following diagnostic aides:

Perform KOER self-test and look for DTC P1408 as an indication of a hard fault. If P1408 is not present, look for contamination, restrictions, leaks, and intermittents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thans a lot. It was the electric wire that goes into the EGR solenoid. The wire casing had two wires, a red and a brown. The red wire was somehow snipped. I taped it for the time being, reset the CEL, and it has not come back yet. I was wondering what is this wirec called, and if I can get it at autozone? And this wire kind of emerges out of a big bundle of wires from the passenger side of the engine. It does not look like I would be able to replace it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts