Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurburgring

The Nürburgring, known as simply "the Ring" by enthusiasts, is the name of a famous motorsport race track in Nürburg, Germany, built in the 1920s around the village and medieval castle of Nürburg in the Eifel, which is about 70 kilometres south of Cologne and 100 kilometres northwest of Mainz. Originally, the track featured four track configurations: the 28.265 km long Gesamtstrecke ("Whole Course"), which in turn consisted of the 22.810 km Nordschleife ("Northern Loop"), and the 7.747 km Südschleife ("Southern Loop"). There also was a 2.281 km warm-up loop called Zielschleife, around pits area. Between 1982 and 1983 the start-finish area was demolished to create a new GP-Strecke, and this is currently used for all major and international racing events. However, the Nordschleife is still in use; nicknamed The Green Hell by Jackie Stewart, it is widely considered the toughest and most demanding purpose-built race track in the world.
[/b]
Personally, I'd like to see if you can get a Taurus around the 'ring at all without dying horribly in the process.

There needs to be a Vulcan powered Taurus, a 3.8 powered one, and a Duratec Taurus taken around the 'ring and that will settle the matter once and for all, I think.

The SHO guys can just sit back and laugh, I guess, calling the rest of them "SLO", but then we shall see what their lap times are, eh?

If they take take a Ford Transit van around the ring in less than 10 minutes then a Taurus should manage a decent time

Part one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1dcw7MqsGbE

part two:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lvc5rDc4Fc0&feature=related

Of course, if you showed up at the Nürburgring with a Ford Taurus everyone would be too convulsed with laughter to even offer you a race.

What say you, fine people, what of having a Taurus shipped to Germany to tackle the 'ring?

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
That'd be kinda funny to watch. Too bad we don't have anything like that here.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
That would be fun. Closet thing I can think of for great tracks is a place up in Virginia...forget the name though. Past that, Duke Forest has a pretty fun, but short, drive through

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Well, I put a G5 Taurus on a track in Ontario and after 2 laps the brakes were toast. As far as the German track, why subject yourself to the ridicule of showing up with a Taurus?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'd do it, if I were ever in Germany with my Taurus. Of course, that would...never happen. In any case, the first time I was at Gingerman, my Duratec was keeping pace with both a Gen II MTX and a Gen II ATX, both of whom had drivers with prior track or autocross experience.

I don't know what you'd be settling, though...that the Duratec is the best of the three motors? Most of the time that you're on a track like that, you're consciously keeping the engine in the high RPM range, which is where the Essex falls on its face, the Vulcan falls on its face, and the Duratec just keeps going. (Note, not bashing OHV engines like you all think I am, just sayin's, all).

JR

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
me and my friends looked into shipping our cars overseas for 2 weeks for a afventure and it is about 5K + cost of living for 2 weeks. + parts and fuel too. it could very easly be a 7K trip.

I really don't think anyone would laugh at the car. it would be a new and interesting thing to many people i'm sure.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That could actually be quite an adventure if you upgrade the stock brake pads to something halfway decent, decent suspension and an Xcal on a G3 or 4 Duratec (tranny cooler), that would be one fun ride around a track.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I know the Vulcan is just more noise above 4k, awesome, ferocious noise, but just noise.

I haven't ever driven an Essex/Duratec so I wouldn't know.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
taking the SHO there is actually one of my goals. if i make a lot of money over the next few years, i WILL try to see if i can get into the track. sounds like fun. supposedly, though, that track has a TON of fatalities and even more totaled vehicles when compared to other tracks around the world.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
that would be because anyone who wants to run the ring, may do so......you pay a small fee, and get to run....and with the occasional sho guy in germany, I wouldnt be suprised if a taurus has been on the nurburgring

Andrew

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I'd like to just drool over this chickie here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

Sabine Schmitz, The Ring Taxi Driver!

Nürburgring
Sabine came to mass public attention driving one of the two BMW M5 "Ring taxi" around the 20.8km long race track in an entertaining manner.

According to her own estimates, Sabine has gone around the track 20,000 times, increasing by approximately 1200 per year. Her familiarity with the circuit earned her the nicknames "Queen of the Nürburgring" and "the fastest taxi driver in the world".

Her company, Nürburgring-based Sabine Schmitz Motorsport, offers advanced driver training and a "Ring Taxi" service for passengers.
[/b]
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...mages&gbv=2

Yes, she can drive better than you.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
She is :notworthy: She can rocket a damn Ford Transit van around it in ~10 minutes.. That's just :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I don't know what you'd be settling, though...that the Duratec is the best of the three motors? Most of the time that you're on a track like that, you're consciously keeping the engine in the high RPM range, which is where the Essex falls on its face, the Vulcan falls on its face, and the Duratec just keeps going.[/b]
I'm pretty sure our Essex doesn't even have a high RPM range (stock of course ;) ).

[attachmentid=23188]

Yeah, I know. Feel free to smack me upside the head.

Anyway, isn't it as much a test of handling (and driver skill) as it is speed?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
PS 2

Gran Turismo 4

Used car lot. Buy the 1998 SHO. Take it on the Nürburgring track. :p

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Sabine Schmitz FTW. She's a host on D-Motor as well, a German car show.

The Ring is basically a toll road...you pay the toll and do your lap. Nobody's going to laugh at a Taurus...seriously everything has been driven on it, and I doubt anyone there would be surprised by anything turning up. It's open to any licensed vehicle...even cars with trailers and tour buses.

I think if we eant valid times, we should start out own car TV show and have Sabine drive them all :lol2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts