Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if any of you folks had heard about this..

Ford is planning on cancelling the Ford Taurus and its Lincoln counterpart, as well as a few other Ford/Lincoln branded cars, the Fiesta, Fusion, C-Max. The report was made on the heals of Chevy announcing the closing of a Oshawa plant, and killing a couple of their staple cars, ranging from the Chevy Impala, Cruze, Volt, Bolt/Sonic, And a Buick Model.

Just seeing if anyone else had heard about this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
That makes me angry. It pretty much kills my hope of ever getting a new Ford Focus or Fusion wagon in North America because it won't ever happen now. If they think I want Crossover SUVs then they are wrong. I hate CUVs with a passion. its lame how a subcompact crossover like a Hyundai Kona gets close to the same gas mileage as an old Taurus Wagon, which has superior cargo space to the Kona CUV that has the cargo space of a hatchback. That's why I have no interest in modern cars they want me to by a CUV and I don't want one. I don't like modern sedans because I want one that can seat 6 but they don't make sedans with front bench seating anymore. That's why for my first car I'm going to find and restore an 86 Taurus LX Wagon. I'm so sad to see the Taurus go. They actually will still sell the Taurus in China, but the Chinese Taurus is pretty much just a larger Ford Fusion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I heard it several weeks ago which made me look closer at obtaining a newer Bull and that eventually lead me to my current 2010 that I bought a few weeks ago. If I can swing it, I would like to buy a last-year model SHO.

Anyone know what the final year of production will be?

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's been rumoured since late spring, or early summer. They're also keeping a derivative of the Focus (Focus Active, I think).

The problem is that people aren't buying sedans anymore. Well, not in the volume that they used to. Personal opinion, while sedan trunks are quite large, the opening is so small you can't get large items into the trunk, even if they'd fit, so people have switched to CUVs. Besides, a CUV has more cargo space than a sedan, notwithstanding the fact that the CUV has a larger "trunk" opening.

·
Registered
77 Posts
91sableinsk- I agree with your observation on sedans. Today folks are so busy in wanting everything in a vehicle which your observation of crossovers and SUVs holds true. I will add this: the general attitude of people wanting it all is creating the pussification pick-up trucks. At one time, half-ton truck could do real work. Now they are glorified grocery getters that are only capable of hauling a 6-pack of nouveau beer for guys with man-buns.

Sedans were (and are classy cars.) I recently rented a Chrysler 300 SC and that car is a true sedan! Growing up, dad always owed Dodge products and remember the Furry III with 383 and torque-flite... wow! That was a runner!

I had a '70 Ford Torino with 351C and C6, 4bbl. Cadillac, Lincolns and T&C's of the 60's were the bomb! As comfy as those cushy rides were, nothing compares to performance sedans, such as the current crop of Taurus' are. I really like my SE. Nice cars but I cannot have my time in the rear seat with the Johnson twins as was teenage fun in a 70's era Oldsmobile, alas...:)

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
It's unfortunate, but I guess expected. The majority of new cars sold are SUV/CUV's because of the additional space they offer. Me being 6'4 and having a family of 5, a SUV is almost a necessity for piece of mind. Manufacturers are producing them with comparable mpg as sedans. Hell..... my Torrent I was able to get over 25mpg on the highway trip I took in October to MD. All highway in my wagon was similar, but there is more cabin room in the Torrent.

Look at what's going on with GM now, closing down 5 plants and laying off 15K+ workers. It's a sign of the times.... again. The used car market is growing in price because people can't afford the prices in the new market, or don't want to go into debt for 6-7 years just for a car. Salesmen always try to rope you in with a lower monthly payment, though it ends up extending the loan and interest. It's sad to think we are going back down this road again. Maybe stock will go down again and this time I can take advantage of buying up cheap :)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's unfortunate, but I guess expected. The majority of new cars sold are SUV/CUV's because of the additional space they offer. Me being 6'4 and having a family of 5, a SUV is almost a necessity for piece of mind. Manufacturers are producing them with comparable mpg as sedans. Hell..... my Torrent I was able to get over 25mpg on the highway trip I took in October to MD. All highway in my wagon was similar, but there is more cabin room in the Torrent.

Look at what's going on with GM now, closing down 5 plants and laying off 15K+ workers. It's a sign of the times.... again. The used car market is growing in price because people can't afford the prices in the new market, or don't want to go into debt for 6-7 years just for a car. Salesmen always try to rope you in with a lower monthly payment, though it ends up extending the loan and interest. It's sad to think we are going back down this road again. Maybe stock will go down again and this time I can take advantage of buying up cheap :)
I don't have any personal hate towards SUV's at all, I understand why the market trends towards them. They are much "more" for your money and your family can actually grow into them. Makes more sense when you're spending $40K on a car, you want to get the most for your money. The new SRT Durango has had my eye for a little bit now.

And yeah, my generation especially is really not buying cars like previous young generations were. We're about to see entire product lines wiped out because millenials would rather ridehsare with Lyft or friends. They just don't want to drive, or pay for a car. Or can't due to crippling debt.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Good! That new taurus was a piece junk any way, they don't make em like they use to.

Interesting observation. How have you come to this decision? Have you owned a newer Bull?

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's been rumoured since late spring, or early summer. They're also keeping a derivative of the Focus (Focus Active, I think).

The problem is that people aren't buying sedans anymore. Well, not in the volume that they used to. Personal opinion, while sedan trunks are quite large, the opening is so small you can't get large items into the trunk, even if they'd fit, so people have switched to CUVs. Besides, a CUV has more cargo space than a sedan, notwithstanding the fact that the CUV has a larger "trunk" opening.
The Focus Active was actually cancelled.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
My daughters 13 Limited has been nearly trouble free at 100K miles. Had one cat replaced for free under 8/80 emissions warranty a few years ago. Only work I have had to perform on it (other than oil changes) were front brake pads once, rear pads twice and rear rotors once (front rotors are original and look great). Also had to replace both front sway bar end links. Of course, brakes are regular maintenance items, so I dont count those as unexpected repairs. Sway bar links were around $50 for the pair from RA, and under an hour to install. Coolant level is constant, so not failing water pump yet. Fingers crossed. I dont want to do that job!

I dont hate SUVs or CUVs, I just dont want one or need one. I have driven mid size to large sedans or coupes my entire life, and will continue to do so, even if I have to abandon American brand cars. Even living in the heart of the snow belt, I do not see a need for 4WD/AWD. In my 47 years of driving in Wisconsin winters I have never gotten stuck in deep snow, slid into a ditch, or had so much as a fender bender. etc

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good! That new taurus was a piece junk any way, they don't make em like they use to.

What made you come to that conclusion out of curiosity? Personally, my 2013 has been bulletproof. No real issues with it whatsoever.
I'd say it's the most reliable vehicle I've owned given it's situation. It's raced it's fair share and has been daily driven for two years straight, the last year of which it's had the EcoBoost turbo system migrated onto its Cyclone platform. Even under that extra stress given it was never, ever intended for what it's been through, it still starts immediately every day, shifts, and pulls like it's brand new. I'm emotionally impressed with the Taurus and don't understand why it isn't more appreciated by the general consumer.

Again, this is all a personal experience. I can't speak for everyone.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me, the problem isnt that its a sedan, or a coupe. My problem has been my back. Getting in and out of low slung cars is very painful for me. Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus are just completely not possible for me. American cars sit a bit higher, but still a bit low for me.

My SUV has been able to allow me to get in and out, at the only cost of fuel mileage.

My back was one of the reasons I tried my Montego. It sits up higher than most sedans, but its still painful to get in and out. Hoping with a little core muscle work, I can work on that bit. I am hoping for better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Basically the North American market has given a thumb down to saloon vehicles, a shame really. But we are in an UNFORTUNATE age of having autonomous vehicles being pushed, manual vehicles are becoming available less and less (US) and soon no petrol cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
^^^^ +1

I do not want an autonomous driving vehicle or anything close. I enjoy driving! I love getting out on the interstates for a 2000++ mile road trip. In my 47 years of driving I have never backed into anything, never cut someone off because I didnt use my mirrors, never rear ended anyone, all without backup cameras, lane departure warnings, autonomous braking, autonomous lane keeping, or any of the other complex systems every auto maker seems to be pushing these days. I suppose these automated systems are good for the majority of drivers who drive thru rush hour traffic with their faces stuck in there phones paying zero attention to the road in front of them, but these vehicles and systems are not for me.

All this high tech self driving crap adds complexity, and high complexity = lower reliability and sky high repair costs. Back when I worked in R&D in the power generation and distribution industry, we religiously adhered to the KISS principle. Our product designs had to last for 30 to 50 years minimum with basically zero maintenance. We designed for minimum complexity to get the job done, and specified the highest quality raw materials available.

Maybe I should start buying up southern cars from the 2000's and keep them in storage for future use after the current fleet of daily drivers start to succumb to serious tin worm.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
^^^^ +1

I do not want an autonomous driving vehicle or anything close. I enjoy driving! I love getting out on the interstates for a 2000++ mile road trip. In my 47 years of driving I have never backed into anything, never cut someone off because I didnt use my mirrors, never rear ended anyone, all without backup cameras, lane departure warnings, autonomous braking, autonomous lane keeping, or any of the other complex systems every auto maker seems to be pushing these days. I suppose these automated systems are good for the majority of drivers who drive thru rush hour traffic with their faces stuck in there phones paying zero attention to the road in front of them, but these vehicles and systems are not for me.

All this high tech self driving crap adds complexity, and high complexity = lower reliability and sky high repair costs. Back when I worked in R&D in the power generation and distribution industry, we religiously adhered to the KISS principle. Our product designs had to last for 30 to 50 years minimum with basically zero maintenance. We designed for minimum complexity to get the job done, and specified the highest quality raw materials available.

Maybe I should start buying up southern cars from the 2000's and keep them in storage for future use after the current fleet of daily drivers start to succumb to serious tin worm.

Just looked up. Sable LS Prem '03 46K miles low rust area of PA, $5K. No wreck. Silver Frost. (Ford Dealer)

Lots of use left in that kind of car. I would go look if I needed a replacement for the '03 sedan of mine, at 178K miles. (some rust showing) Lots of miles left but rust will take a toll in time.

-chart-

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
^^^^ +1

I bought my '03 Sable 7 yr 8 mo ago for $5800, 80K miles. 98K miles later still a good car. Usual, struts/springs and such, coil, wires, plugs, fuel pump, A/C. Alt = preventive. Only issue flex plate gear. Prices have not gone down much.
My '03 Sable wagon, 4 years 4 months, cost $4000, 99K miles. Only 32K added miles. Needed some ~$20 in JY trim/parts. BJ and struts. Still worth what I paid. Bonus: 6 CD's in the changer.

My goal depreciation $1K or less per year.

Hard to beat for nice reliable drive.
-chart-

·
Registered
77 Posts
Basically the North American market has given a thumb down to saloon vehicles, a shame really. But we are in an UNFORTUNATE age of having autonomous vehicles being pushed, manual vehicles are becoming available less and less (US) and soon no petrol cars.
Not familiar with all the lingo of the Queen's English. Have heard the term 'petrol" but did not know what a "saloon vehicles" was until I looked it up: From Wikipedia,

A sedan /sɪˈdæn/ — also called saloon — is a passenger car in a three-box configuration with separate compartments for engine, passenger and cargo.
The modern implementation of sedans was introduced in 1912 and the body style has remained popular up to the present. The name "sedan" originates from the sedan chair, an enclosed box which was carried by porters to transport one person.
Car manufacturers in the United States up until the 1960s have marketed several models as variations of the sedan style, such as close-coupled sedan, club sedan, convertible sedan, fastback sedan, hardtop sedan, notchback sedan and sedanet/sedanette.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts