Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Taurus 1997 with DOHC 3.0 L 24V has its tranny rebuilt but now the tranny can´t shift rom 1st gear no matter the speed I accelerate. Reverse is OK. I replaced TRS and TPS with no results. Speedometer is working fine, so it doesn´t seem to be a VSS issue. ATF is new and in right level. Any ideas to help me out with this problem? Tks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Taurus 1997 with DOHC 3.0 L 24V has its tranny rebuilt but now the tranny can´t shift rom 1st gear no matter the speed I accelerate. Reverse is OK. I replaced TRS and TPS with no results. Speedometer is working fine, so it doesn´t seem to be a VSS issue. ATF is new and in right level. Any ideas to help me out with this problem? Tks.
By the way, tranny is A4XN model.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
Possible incorrectly adjusted or damaged / failing TRS? Use Forscan to see what gear the PCM thinks is selected. Is this a recent rebuild? Have you checked the tranny electrical connector for damage, corrosion, full if fluid, etc?

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
Fwiw, flaky speedo is only 1 possible symptom of a failing vss. Slipping/harsh 1-2 shift when warm is always present. Other shift points may also be affected.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think that, because the Reverse is working, the TRS is adjusted correctly.
The gears switching points are related to throttle position, RPM's and engine load, not only speed. Are the RPM's indicated correctly (Turbine Shaft Speed sensor)?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to obtain a new ELM for mine dooesn't work with Forscan. Will get one this wednesday so that I can check what speed ECM is reading. RPM and speedometer are ok. Stay tunned for new inputs. Tks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK guys. I got the right ELM 327 and scanned the vehicle with Forscan. PCM showed the following DTCs: P1000 and P0325.
For P1000 in few words, got this info: it is an OBDII readiness failure which cannot be cleared when: "The thermostat is stuck open and a DTC is not generated. 2. There is an open VSS circuit and a DTC is not generated. 3. If the vehicle has a Power Take Off (PTO), the circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+, or the PTO is ON during Self-test.". Are these issues possibly related to my problem? How can I check which gear ECM is reading utilizing Forscan? P0325 is about Knocking sensor. Could this interfere with gear shifting?

PS. Further investigation indicated a code U1341 which says about some problem with reading vehicle speed. But which sensor should I replace? The transmission turbine speed sensor or the VSS?
Speedometer is working fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have replaced VSS with no sucess. Tranny is stuck at 1st gear. Running out of ideas and money... Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts