Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here, just bought a sweet 99 duratec taurus, almost as much fun as my motorcycle :>) I've noticed that the Taurus seems to maintain high rpms when coasting in gear. (auto tranny) and continues to run at about 40 mph with foot off accelerator. Almost as if cruise control is stuck, problem is it's off. While coasting down a small hill, I put the car in neutral and the rpms jumped to 2500. At rest rpms seem normal, idles fine all other times. Any ideas? Thanks RicoSusQ

·
Registered
285 Posts
First thing to do on troubleshooting these OBD-II cars is to check the computer and see if any codes have been set. Your local parts store (like Autozone) will hook up their scan tool and download any codes for free - it's a great way to help them sell their parts. And you don't get nailed with a $75 "Diagnostic Fee" as if you'd taken it to some shops!

Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I'm placing my bet on a bac IAC motor/valve. My '91 (pre-OBD-II) started coasting at close to 50mph one day, Furd replaced the IAC motor and it was fine after that (of course, this was no more than 3 days after they replaced the head gasket... well, can't live in the past <_< )

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
IAC = Intake Air Control valve. It uses a small stepper motor to adjust idle air intake.

My Ford Ranger ('99 with 136K) had a bad one. I removed the IAC, sprayed some carb cleaner through it, then some WD40, and replaced it. It's been about 1 month and its still working fine. I do plan on buying a new one though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts