Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys heres a tricky one for you. I ran my 99 into about a foot and a half of water and now she wont start. Replaced the starter and still nothing. And yes the starter is good. My mechanic doesnt even know whats wrong. Help me out!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Hydrolocked??:eek:
IIRC, many years ago that happened to Detroit Ravers car.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was afraid of. Changing the oil wouldnt help would it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
does it not even crank or does it crank but not fire? if the starter engages but can't turn it over you can try removing the plugs and see if one of the cyliders was flooded with water.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The starter engages but all we get is a click.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Take out the spark plugs. Then try. If it's hydrolocked this will let you know (it will crank). The starter wouldn't have enough power to compress the un-compressable water.

If this works, turn it over for a minute or so to get the water out. change the oil and pray that it doesn't knock after.

If it still doesn't crank it's either toast or there's something wrong with the solenoid or relays. Then try shorting out the solenoid and see if it turns over.

·
Registered
562 Posts
a little off-topic but speaking of water in the engine, I remember in the '70's when nobody knew how to build decent smog engines they would knock terribly and I remember a company that was marketing 'water injection', kinda like running your washer fluid line into the carb, that was supposed to stop the knock under load by cooling the cyliders. Oof da..... :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never attempt to crank an engine full of water. Easy way to bend a connecting rod.
It sounds as if you may be lucky, no cylinder fired and then tried to compress a cylinder full of water.
A stated, pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine. Water should shoot out one or more holes. Fog the cylinders with some penetrating oil, crank again. You don't want any rust forming in the cylinders. Replace plugs, change oil and start.
If it seems to have a rough idle or doesn't run smoothly you may have bent one or more rods.

One more reason not to drive into water.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
from what i understand is that it is when the water gets sucked into a running engine is when the rods get bent not trying to start it after the water has been ingested.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds crazy but I think I'm going to pull the spark plugs and try it out. I'll let u guys know what happens

·
Registered
430 Posts
Swanny,
First thing find another mechanic. My son did the same, drove through deep water. It only takes about a foot of water to do it because the air intake goes down low by the drives front wheel. I towed my son's car home and pulled the plugs. I hooked a small tube to my shop vac and pulled about a half cup of water from the cylinders total. It still would not crank. Pulled the oil pan and found a broken piston rod jammed into the block. Removed that and could turn the engine almost all the way around but still hung up. At that point, engine was declared toast. Do not try and crank engine until you have pulled the plugs ( I know you probably already have). The starter motor alone has enough torque to damage internal parts. Hope your engine stalled immediately and can be saved. Just letting you know the worst case.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
a little off-topic but speaking of water in the engine, I remember in the '70's when nobody knew how to build decent smog engines they would knock terribly and I remember a company that was marketing 'water injection', kinda like running your washer fluid line into the carb, that was supposed to stop the knock under load by cooling the cyliders. Oof da..... :)
I have one of those in my garage.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I drained about 3 qts of water out of the taurus tonight. Took off the intake and removed all the spark plugs, cleaned them up, and sprayed penetrating oil in the spark plug holes as well as into the butterflies. The intake is still off. We changed the oil and filter, put the spark plugs back in and tried to fire it. It wants to turn over but it just wont. Does everything have to be back together for it to run right or can the intake be off?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
yeah the intake needs to be on or it has no way of regulating the amount of air entering the engine.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
x2 it will not run without the intake. I'd probably have used WD-40 over penetrating oil just because it displaces water. Be prepared for the car to backfire a few times if it does start, don't worry about it too much. If you're lucky, you'll be driving it this evening.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Three quarts is an awful lot of water. You should go ahead and do a compression check while you have the intake off. I am curious to see how this works out. Keep us informed and good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I put her all back together today. She cranks but no fire. Doesnt sound like anything is bent. I'm going away for the weekend but I'm having a guy come look at it on Sunday. How would I go abouts doing a compression test?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Borrow a compression tester from autozone or buy one. Not that expensive. Take all the plugs out, screw the tester into the sparkplug hole and crank the engine several rotations. Read the guage. It would have been easier while you had the intake off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts