Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...the 95 Vulcan SE has been dead, sitting in front of the house for a month now...and the neighbors are threatening to report me to the state...so I have to either trash the Taurus, or try to fix it.

The problem is quite interesting. It acts like the exhaust is clogged, but it was fine up until the day it broke down. The bypass from the exhaust to the EGR pressure feedback sensor doens't have a hose on it, and the pressure feedback sensor melted. It hasn't had a hose on it for a while, but i'm thinking maybe having it melt could've confused the sensor a bit, causing even more exhaust to come through the bypass.

The part I need is that hose. The hose that connects between the exhaust and the pressure feedback sensor (F3DE-9J460-BA I think it was). Nobody will simply tell me what it is, and I don't have another car to look at to get a part/size number for this hose.

Since the pressure feedback sensor isn't plugged in anymore (sensor melted to the connector, i took my time and got it off without breaking the connector, so I can eventually replace it) But what's the point in replacing it when I don't have the hose that connects to the exhaust.

If you pulled that hose off, could the car try to move more exhaust to the sensor?

·
Registered
205 Posts
So...the 95 Vulcan SE has been dead, sitting in front of the house for a month now...and the neighbors are threatening to report me to the state...so I have to either trash the Taurus, or try to fix it.

The problem is quite interesting. It acts like the exhaust is clogged, but it was fine up until the day it broke down. The bypass from the exhaust to the EGR pressure feedback sensor doens't have a hose on it, and the pressure feedback sensor melted. It hasn't had a hose on it for a while, but i'm thinking maybe having it melt could've confused the sensor a bit, causing even more exhaust to come through the bypass.

The part I need is that hose. The hose that connects between the exhaust and the pressure feedback sensor (F3DE-9J460-BA I think it was). Nobody will simply tell me what it is, and I don't have another car to look at to get a part/size number for this hose.

Since the pressure feedback sensor isn't plugged in anymore (sensor melted to the connector, i took my time and got it off without breaking the connector, so I can eventually replace it) But what's the point in replacing it when I don't have the hose that connects to the exhaust.

If you pulled that hose off, could the car try to move more exhaust to the sensor?
[/b]
I don't know how 95 is different from 94 but I think your no start condition is not related to your EGR system. You can plug it shut and the car will run, it is only emission controlling system. Check battery, fuel spark, simple things first.
Stan

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
Unless the EGR valve is stuck wide open for some reason, an inop PFE will NOT cause a no start. Even if the EGR is stuck wide open, you should still be able to get it to start by holding the gas 1/2 down, but it will run like crap.

You problem lies elsewhere. Have you checked codes? You can do it with a paper clip and watching the CEL flash out the codes. Common problems for a no start on EEC IV are a fialed TFI or PIP. THese often fail without warning, and may or may not set CM codes.

Does the CEL come on with the key in run, but go off when cranking? If so, the PIP is likely at least not totally dead. If the CEL doesnt come on in run, suspect a bad EEC relay in the IRCM/CCRM

Assuming the PIP appears good, hook a test light between the coil neg side and ground. Key in run, light should be on steady. When cranking the light should flash on and off.

Have you checked for spark?

Does the fuel pump run its 2 sec prime cycle when the key is turned to run?

If you are systematic, diagnosing a no start on an EEC IV car is easy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has kicked to life a couple times, but since all the exhaust is trying to go through the oriface between the exhaust and the PFE sensor, i'm guessing it can't breathe well enough to run for more than a few seconds.

I'll see what I can do. Apparently it's illegal to work on your car here, and since it doesn't start, I can't exactly take it to the shop, and I'm not paying a towtruck another $200 to take my car to the end of the street again.

Could a PFE sensor affect how much exhaust pressure there is getting to the PFE sensor? What regulates how much exhaust gets to it?

The CEL doesn't come on unless the key is turned, without having the engine on...

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
Since you said it "just died" I doubt it is a plugged exhaust is the problem.... an exhaust doesnt plug instantly... it happens slowly over time and performance gradually goes down the tiolet. If you still think it is a plugged exhaust, loosen the Y pipeand drop it about 1/2" from the manifolds. If the car starts and runs now, you do have a plugged exhaust.

Did you do the other tests I mentioned above?

Another thing to do is get / borrow, etc a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is. Even if the pump runs it may not be producing enough pressure / flow due to a weak pump, plugged fuel filter, plugged filter sock in the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts