Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys/girls. Just wanna get some suggestions from people that know the taurus/sable the best. I had a 95' taurus GL wagon way back when but after some major issues I made the unfortunate switch to GM. Buick to be specific and after a LeSabre and a Park Avenue and about $1500 in rebuilding the upper intake (Damn 3800 Series II!) I'm looking to go back to a Ford. So the question remains what to get?! lol. I'm looking for a car that i would use to commute from home to college, so pretty much from the suburbs of philadelphia to university city almost everyday, it's about 40 miles round-trip. what would be a better choice:

1. Hunt across the US for a 1999 Taurus SE Comfort/Sport With the Duratec. In the 2 colors they only made for the 99 model year. Don't quote me on the packages I just want the sunroof, the cloth buckets(i might settle for leather), spoiler, and the SHO rims or the nicer of the 2 stock alloys.

2. A 2003 Taurus SES once again search high and low for a low mileage example.

3. A newer (2004 and up) taurus SEL with the Duratec.

I'm not really in a rush, but i guess if i find something i really like i could get it now, price isn't too much of an issue as long as it isn't excessive. Let me know what your opinion would be, personal experience would be better =]

Thanks,
Chris :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I'd personally go with an 03 or 04 SES/SEL with the tec.
I have an 03 SEL with the tec and recently purchased an 04 SES Sport (31,000 miles) with the tec. :)

By the way, I like the Sport rims:
[attachmentid=28423]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Well, if you can find a low mileage, go for the 99. I believe I have the car you are looking for :D And just fyi, they made the dark navy blue exterior color for 98 and 99. For Comfort/Sport, you get a loaded car with leather seats and the basic stock alloys. Just the comfort gets you the nicer alloys. Just the sport gives you the SHO rims for 99. But both gives you the crappy rims. Go figure.

Now realistically I'd probably go for a 2004+. You've got the re-worked programming plus newer car=less mileage and possible still has a warranty. A 2003 SES or Sport wouldn't be bad either.

In all honesty, finding a 99 like mine will be trying to find a needle in a haystack...I'd probably consider going for a 2003+ to be honest

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if you can find a low mileage, go for the 99. I believe I have the car you are looking for :D And just fyi, they made the dark navy blue exterior color for 98 and 99. For Comfort/Sport, you get a loaded car with leather seats and the basic stock alloys. Just the comfort gets you the nicer alloys. Just the sport gives you the SHO rims for 99. But both gives you the crappy rims. Go figure.

Now realistically I'd probably go for a 2004+. You've got the re-worked programming plus newer car=less mileage and possible still has a warranty. A 2003 SES or Sport wouldn't be bad either.

In all honesty, finding a 99 like mine will be trying to find a needle in a haystack...I'd probably consider going for a 2003+ to be honest

Hope this helps!
[/b]
Umm.. Actually way back when, it was your car that i saw and fell in love with. Hahaha. I've been trying to convince my neighbor to sell me his 99'. It's the green that is really hard to find, almost an olive color-ish i guess, with the cloth buckets, sunroof, spoiler, and the nicer of the 2 five spoke alloys offered. It also has like 50k on it because it goes from where i am to philadelphia international and back, but he refuses to sell it :angry: lol. There's also the really nice wedgewood blue color that was offered for 99'. Worse case senario i can get a SHO :D

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I personally like the 04 SEL's the best.

They have the most standard options and on the 2005 and later they dropped all the standard options and mostly became fleet cars.

I just don't like the Guppy looking steering wheels on the 2003 and earlier models. Sorry folks.

:ford:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I personally like the 04 SEL's the best.

They have the most standard options and on the 2005 and later they dropped all the standard options and mostly became fleet cars.

I just don't like the Guppy looking steering wheels on the 2003 and earlier models. Sorry folks.

:ford:
[/b]
All the 2007s up here are fully loaded SELs with the leather/sunroof/everything... I think they were only for fleet cars too... It's hard to find one that isn't completely loaded right to the brim like that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Have no idea what color green it is, I don't think it is the spruce green. I'll try to grab a picture when i swing by my house tomorrow.. But the Duratec is a requirement, to say i have a lead foot is an understatement.. :D I was looking a bit and I'm really liking the SES Sport, I also really like the taurus centennial edition, but I would have to see it in person because I haven't seen one since me and my dad were buying my mom's Windstar back in 2003 and my ford dealer had a full set of them. Also i just got word of a fully loaded 1999 Sable LS with like 51k turning up at my ford dealer, and they are only asking about 5k-ish for it... hmmm i'll see :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you can wait, come down here, and look for a rust free one down here in Austin, 6'th st is a blast on fri and sat (if your 21). I would go with the 4'th gen with a Duratec, they're everywhere down here, fly down, drive home :banana: Austin is a fun college city with lots to do, and enjoy a break from the snow and cold while enjoying your new ride PS I know all about Buicks, I was happy to be rid of my money pit when I bought my bull :D

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Here's a pic of that 04 SES Sport I picked up 2 months ago:

[attachmentid=28431]

Attachments

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
Spruce green? Or the nicer natural green? Spruce green is a very depressing color.
[/b]
:rofl2:

Once in a while if the light hits it just right it looks really nice. Most of the time it just looks like a really dull grey though.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
They aren't loaded. They have a Vulcan.

:ph34r:

*ducks to avoid flying shoes*
[/b]
:rofl2: How right you are, good sir. Pity they didn't continue putting the 'tec into the 06 and 07 cars. They are zippy!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
:rofl2: How right you are, good sir. Pity they didn't continue putting the 'tec into the 06 and 07 cars. They are zippy!
[/b][/quote]

How can a criterion for a "loaded" car be an option that wasn't even available?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

How can a criterion for a "loaded" car be an option that wasn't even available?
[/b][/quote]

Because I said so, that's why.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Good point pie!! :thumb:

Though I've driven a tec for a while and I wouldn't go back to a vulcan.
I guess I'm spoiled! :lol2:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Good point pie!! :thumb:

Though I've driven a tec for a while and I wouldn't go back to a vulcan.
I guess I'm spoiled! :lol2:
[/b]
I drive a Fusion with essentially the same Tec as in the old Taurus... Nothing wrong with the Vulcan in my Taurus though... Seems to be alot less complicated than the Tec...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts