Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talkin' to my friend about the new Duratec35, and we started talking about possible drops into the gen4's. Well, then we started talking about how sweet the Futura was gonna be (well, I was, he was more about the new GT's), and then the idea of AWD came up. I'm wondering about what kind of gain that would have on performance/handling, now that power was able to goto ALL wheels, instead of just the front, as well as better handling.

So the closest thing I could compare the Taurus to w/AWD was the Mazda6. The wheelbase difference is 3.2". I wonder if there's the possibility of taking the drivetrain from a Mazda6 and doing a few mod's and bolting it on the Taurus.

Now, I guess you could start making the argument of "when is it not a Taurus anymore," but whatever... ;)

EDIT: *IS IT*

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
AWD cars typically aren't as quick as their RWD/FWD counterparts because of the added weight of the extra drivetrain; they do, however, handle quite nicely. As far as I know, the AWD 6's aren't out yet, so finding parts from them would be rather difficult, even after they're out for a few years. Why not just buy a 6 or fusion instead?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but with combining your guys' two posts, you've got a heavier car, even though it has more power. Granted, it's still like 300lbs lighter than the Taurus, but c'mon, it's the Taurus man! :D (not sure how much more the AWD drivedtrain will add)

A 6 would be nice, but a bit to expensive for me ATM. ;) Not like I could buy another car right now anyways, but wouldn't a Mazda 6's insurance be higher? I know that seems irrelavent, but when you're on your family's insurance, it matters. :D

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 19 2004, 09:58 AM
There's almost zero room for the 'tec now in our cars.

JR
No, there's a diff between ZERO room, and almost no room. The 'tec has a ton more room than the 6, esp if you did a battery relocation and fenderwell CAI. Not that that's bad for the 6, if you don't want to do any mods. That, and add to the fact that the cheapest used 6 within 300 miles of me is $13k. Taurus4ever ;D

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
this thread is worthless.....untill you have 5k+ to blow, dont bother.

the ONLY feasible option would be the drivetrain from an x-type jag or maybe an escape and thats a few grand if you stole it!

theres a complete jag drivetrain on CEG right now, go buy it!!!!

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Aug 19 2004, 08:28 PM
this thread is worthless.....untill you have 5k+ to blow, dont bother.

the ONLY feasible option would be the drivetrain from an x-type jag or maybe an escape and thats a few grand if you stole it!

theres a complete jag drivetrain on CEG right now, go buy it!!!!

Brad
worthless? well, i'd hope not, at least not completely. i'm a poor 21-year-old college kid who hasn't paid off his 01 vulcan yet, so he can at least dream, and wants to share his dreams :D

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
its a neat pipe dream...and thats all it ever will be untill some crazy mofo like me or kirmit trys it.

Unless you want it beacuse you want to:

-Go off roading with your taurus (i know from experence it dont work too well)

~or~

-Have better traction in the winter

Then its not worth it....

Neither car can burn rubber (yea with ****** tires you can make em spin like twice)
so since we dont have a problem putting power to the ground, then why bother paying out the butt to make the car slower?

Like i said before, its a hot pipe dream!! (I more tha anyone wish someone would pull it off)

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah, see, i thought it *would* help us put more power to the ground, since fwd cars can't take off like rwd cars...or maybe i'm wrong :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts