Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Taurus SE 2001 3.0 OHV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, i am in switzerland, europe, and i recently bought a Taurus SE 2001. I hope my google english will be understandable .. my Taurus is white with a vulcan engine. it is in very good condition and has only 48,000 km. the fourth generation Taurus were not imported in Europe. the one I have was used by a UN diplomat in Geneva and does not meet European standards. diplomats can drive a non-compliant vehicle, but I am not a diplomat myself.
To be able to register and drive with the car in Switzerland, I must provide the authorities with an official document which mentions the chassis number of the car, its date of manufacture, its maximum power, the type of gearbox, the engine number, noise, emissions, ... in Europe there is a certificate of conformity which mentions this information. Do you know if there is such a document in the USA? Or if we can ask Ford for this information?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I live in the Netherlands and have a Taurus 2000 SES that I bought in the US when I lived there.

Upon entry in the Netherlands the car had to be inspected by the RDW (the government body responsible of administration and inspections). They only had some minor remarks about the front blinker lights (not according to the regulations and besides they had to white because they double as parking lights) and the missing fog light (had to be added by the Ford dealer). They did some stationary emission testing with a probe in the exhaust. They issued the papers for the Netherlands with an exemption for the numberplate (so I have that small-sized plate that used to be custom in Belgium, France and Italy).

The Taurus was in fact also sold in the Netherlands, but only for one single year: 2000. Apparently not a big success for Ford. That car was of course "in conformity", with the side-blinkers, fog light and large numberplates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
et
I live in the Netherlands and have a Taurus 2000 SES that I bought in the US when I lived there.

Upon entry in the Netherlands the car had to be inspected by the RDW (the government body responsible of administration and inspections). They only had some minor remarks about the front blinker lights (not according to the regulations and besides they had to white because they double as parking lights) and the missing fog light (had to be added by the Ford dealer). They did some stationary emission testing with a probe in the exhaust. They issued the papers for the Netherlands with an exemption for the numberplate (so I have that small-sized plate that used to be custom in Belgium, France and Italy).

The Taurus was in fact also sold in the Netherlands, but only for one single year: 2000. Apparently not a big success for Ford. That car was of course "in conformity", with the side-blinkers, fog light and large numberplates.
I saw a Taurus for sale in the Netherlands on a website. is it yours? for technical changes, I think that's okay. I just have to find a solution for the front parking lights. for the back plate, we still have the 2 formats in switzerland. my problem is more administrative. Swiss authorities want a document that mentions chassis and engine numbers and engine specifications such as horsepower. like the European Certificate of Conformity.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No it is not mine. My Taurus is not for sale :) .

In your case it is not that the information is not there, somebody with authority has to confirm it. Say a Ford dealer or Ford Switzerland.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried both but Ford Switzerland cannot help me because the vehicle is unknown in Europe and Ford US does not respond to non-American residents ... Thank you for your help, I continue my quest ..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Perhaps the road to salvation runs through an EU country.

For the US readers: Switzerland is not in the European Union!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I tried both but Ford Switzerland cannot help me because the vehicle is unknown in Europe and Ford US does not respond to non-American residents ... Thank you for your help, I continue my quest ..
go to: Ford TAURUS VIN Decoder - Lookup and check Ford TAURUS VIN number and get options and specs for free and enter your VIN number and then select TAURUS. It should give you all the information you are requiring. If you need to have a Mechanic verify it, then they should be able to do that without any problems. If they can't then you have a problem.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
go to: Ford TAURUS VIN Decoder - Lookup and check Ford TAURUS VIN number and get options and specs for free and enter your VIN number and then select TAURUS. It should give you all the information you are requiring. If you need to have a Mechanic verify it, then they should be able to do that without any problems. If they can't then you have a problem.......
Thanks for the link which gives a lot of information about the car. However, the authorities want official information, from Ford for example. Finally Ford US gave me a phone number at Ford Switzerland and I received the requested information signed by Ford. It remains for me to solve the problem of the position lights because in Europe amber position lights are not accepted. But this is an easier and more exciting technical problem to solve than the administrative problems ...

·
Registered
251 Posts
In fact, this replacement is described in the Owner's Manual (page 192 for my 2000 Taurus). If the manual didn't come with the car you can download it from Ford.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In fact, this replacement is described in the Owner's Manual (page 192 for my 2000 Taurus). If the manual didn't come with the car you can download it from Ford.
is this the page for changing the light bulb?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. At least in the Netherlands that was the only thing required: change the orange bulb with a white one.
yes, but the position light bulb is also the blinker light, so you have a white turn signal ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Initially yes. But - if you don't tell anybody in the Netherlands - I changed the light back to orange after the car passed the RDW (national) inspection. A white blinker light just looks ridiculous. The local inspection in my town really doesn't care and neither knows about these subtleties. The RDW issued the license for the Netherlands and for them that is where the discussion ends. Never had a question about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Initially yes. But - if you don't tell anybody in the Netherlands - I changed the light back to orange after the car passed the RDW (national) inspection. A white blinker light just looks ridiculous. The local inspection in my town really doesn't care and neither knows about these subtleties. The RDW issued the license for the Netherlands and for them that is where the discussion ends. Never had a question about it.
ok .. I couldn't do like that. I absolutely must have a white parking light and an orange indicator. I tried with a two-color led bulb. interesting but not yet acceptable. For now, I will install daylights in the bumper and connect them with the parking lights wire. Once the inspection is over, I will remove these daylights and drive on the low beam like with my other cars. I never use the parking lights. It’s only for the inspection

1 - 16 of 16 Posts