Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooling fan works when temp is high. But when AC is on, fan stays off. and not seeing AC clutch engaging. Question is when 'AC on', then regardless of low refrigerant, or AC compressor issue.... fan should turn on right?

·
Super Moderator
8,117 Posts
No

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if refrigerant is low, and AC compressor clutch do not engage and fan will not turn on..... will that be correct understanding.

·
Super Moderator
8,117 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
At least mine use 3 speed fan, low is both fans series, mid is both parallel with resistor, and high is both parallel and no resistor. No idea about the brake reason. Just looks too complex. My op.
My reason for getting into this, Taurus had low fan when started but when idling hot it went to no fan, then to high fan with A/C on but was tripped by A/C over pressure. No idea about what temp causes mid speed, but my wagon '03 DOHC highest temp recordedin 96F day with A/C was 199.6F. Recording by Carchip. Never heard a high speed on this car.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Jeff.
few more:

1. As clutch goes though on/off cycle do fan do the same.

2. High pressure cuts the clutch off but what makes it to engage back, is there another sensor that makes the contact

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
The fan goes off/on with the clutch if the coolant temp is below the threshold for coolant temperature control. Coolant above the trigger temp and the fan goes on low speed without any condition of A/C.
Over high pressure triggers the high fan until the pressure drops.
Observed this. Low pressure at ~50# and no fan due to resistor fail. The pressure climbs to ~55-60 and the fan comes on, pressure drops quickly to below 50 and fan shuts off. If there is not enough condenser cooling both the low and high side go high. No gage on the high side but I know the high side pressure sensor is keying the high fan.
Just what I saw in one car, one time.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Update. Today cool morning I started it with A/C off, no fans. Turned A/C on and the fans stayed on while the A/C clutch cycled. I will guess, if the A/C is in the on mode for manual, or anytime the automatic climate is working, rad. fans will be on. And, when the clutch cycles off you still need condenser cooling for a while. So the fans are not cycling with the clutch, just what the climate control is doing.
-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts