Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My taurus 2000,DOHC, works smoothly when it is running, but the engine is like coughing and the exhaust pipe is "asthmatic" when idling. Sometimes it stalls. Could you help me figure out the problem? How to repair it?
Appreciate in advance.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
If you have a lit SEL/CEL, most autoparts stores will scan the computer for trouble codes at no cost, then post all of the trouble code Numbers here, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

If you don't have a lit SEL/CEL, then we'll need some more clues to help make a good guess as to whats wrong.

How many miles on the vehicle & where are you on all due past & present scheduled maintenance????

Did this problem come about slowly over time, or suddenly after some event????

Any repairs or maintenance before the problem began, or maybe a fill up at a different station, ect, ect????

Have you done any trouble shooting, like fuel pressure & spark or compression checks????

Without more clues than you've posted I'd proably begin with a guess that it might be an Idle Air Control problem, or a vacuum leak, but at this point it's just a rough guess.

So give us some more background info & clues & maybe we can form up a better guess on where to begin your trouble shoot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the lit SEL/CEL, will go get trouble code and let you know ASAP.
It's over 150,000 miles. I just change engine oil, add some liquid by myself.
I guess this problem came out slowly, but not sure. It's my wife's car.
So far I did nothing for this problem.
Btw, the engine check light has been on for a long time.

Thanks much

If you have a lit SEL/CEL, most autoparts stores will scan the computer for trouble codes at no cost, then post all of the trouble code Numbers here, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

If you don't have a lit SEL/CEL, then we'll need some more clues to help make a good guess as to whats wrong.

How many miles on the vehicle & where are you on all due past & present scheduled maintenance????

Any repairs or maintenance before the problem began, or maybe a fill up at a different station, ect, ect????

Have you done any trouble shooting, like fuel pressure & spark or compression checks????

Without more clues than you've posted I'd proably begin with a guess that it might be an Idle Air Control problem, or a vacuum leak, but at this point it's just a rough guess.

So give us some more background info & clues & maybe we can form up a better guess on where to begin your trouble shoot.

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
Just some friendly advice..... Always take the CEL seriously. It may be lit for a minor problem that can wait until you have the time and/or funds to fix the problem, or it could be a serious problem that can rapidly cause SEROIUS drivetrain damage and cost BIG $$ to fix if the problem isnt taken care of very soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I spent a lot of time and stress changing a bunch of things DPFE, IAC, plugs and wires, EGR valve, and it turned out it was the elbow from the intake to the PCV tube. They are weak and develop either holes/slits right at the bend. My replacement from Ford has already gone bad and I need to change it again this weekend. I bought the new and improved version which has ribbed reinforced outer walls so hopefully it will last longer than the old version.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have the lit SEL/CEL, will go get trouble code and let you know ASAP.
It's over 150,000 miles. I just change engine oil, add some liquid by myself.
I guess this problem came out slowly, but not sure. It's my wife's car.
So far I did nothing for this problem.

Thanks much
OK, good feedback.

With 150K on this ride, along with All trouble code Numbers, it would be helpful to know where you are on all due past & present scheduled maintenance replacement items, like air & fuel filter, spark plugs & wires, O2 sensors, PCV valve & it's hoses, general under hood condition of the engines components, like the EGR valve, vacuum lines, ect & which engine your Taurus has????

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
PCV hose looks good, but gasket looks leaking as shown in the attached pic. Got six trouble codes:
P1151: Fuel pressure high or low; MAF sensor dirty/defective; Vacuum leak on engine; Leaking fuel injector or fuel pressure regulator.
P0174: If bank one and two are set together suspect a fuel pressure condition or MAF sensor fault; Failed H02S21(Heated oxygen-Bank 2 Sensor 1); Ignition misfire condition; Fuel injector problem; Engine mechanical condition.
P01131: Misfire on bank 1; Vacuum leak affecting bank 1 only; Fuel injector problem bank 1; Engine mechanical condition.
P0171: If bank one and two codes set together suspect fuel pressure or MAF sensor; Oxygen sensor defective; Ignition misfire-repair; Fuel injector problem.
P0456: Defective, loose or missing fuel cap; EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected; Purge or vent solenoid defective; Vacuum leak at engine.
P0442: Defective or loose fuel cap; EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected; Purge or vent solenoid defective; Vacuum leak at engine.

Could you tell me what should I do? Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
OK, good feedback on the trouble code numbers.

Well the computer is unhappy with cyl banks 1 & 2 being too lean & their O2 sensors not switching & stuck indicating both cyl banks are lean. It's also detected a small vapor recovery sys leak.

Maybe begin looking for loose, cracked, cut, vacuum, or vapor recovery system lines, loose gas cap, or bad sealing gasket on it, or messed up surface it seals on, stuck open PCV valve, intake manafold leak from loose fastners.

Or maybe with 150K miles on the ride, the O2 sensors are just worn out. Most folks replace them between 75-100K miles, so have yours ever been replaced?????

OR, maybe if the fuel filter has never been changed it's clogged up & causing a fuel flow problem & a lean air/fuel mixture, so maybe do a KOEO & KOER fuel pressure check, are some guesses, but again at this point guesses are all they are, we still don't have enough maintenance/repair history to make a better judgment yet.
SO, again, where are you on all due past & present scheduled maintenance items I posted above & any past or resent repairs made????

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
On pass. side firewall at the green-capped evap. test port, i had a ruptured vac. hose running from there to eng. causing many of the same codes. Might check.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check your coil over plugs (if equited). I understand that they are hard to diagnos.
Done. It's PCV hose.
Could hear hissing near PCV hose connection, throttle body and egr.
The hissing turned up and down when swaying PCV hose.
Just removed throttle body(with spring and air intake on) and air filter to access the hose.
7/8” deep socket (12-point) and a 12” extension bar were very helpful to remove and install PCV valve.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check your coil over plugs (if equited). I understand that they are hard to diagnos.
it's PCV hose. The hissing turned up and down when swaying the hose. Just removed throttle body(with spring and air intake on) and air filter to access the hose. 7/8” deep socket (12-point) and a 12” extension bar were very helpful to remove and install PCV valve.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Good trouble shooting , feedback & to hear you seem to have it put right!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts