Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just bought a Taurus 03 SES recently, which has only 34kmiles so far. I really like it, except for the following problem.
Every time when I start the car, and try to shift the gear from parking into reverse, it's somewhat hard. Very often, I used too much force so that it got into N or D..
I wonder if this is serious, and should I have it checked and serviced?
BTW, the transmission type is AX4S.
Thanks!
Qiqi

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Are you parking on an incline? Often when you park on an incline, the weight of the vehicle rests against the park pawl when you put the transmission in park. Then, when you try to take it out of park, you have to pull the shifter harder because the park pawl has to slide against the weight of the car to disengage. One thing you can try is to apply the parking brake while your foot is still on the brake, but before you put the car into park. That will keep the weight of the car from settling against the park pawl when you take your foot off the brake. Then, when you go to put it into gear, put your foot on the brake first, put the car into gear, then release the parking brake. That should help it not get stuck. If that doesn't help. or if it does it even when you're not on a hil, then you probably have an internal tranny issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I don't park on an incline, and shifting into reverse gear is definitely a little bit hard (but not too hard) even if I'm on a flat street doing 3-point turns.

As to your suggestion, what I usually do is to keep my foot on brake, set gear into park, set parking brake, and then finally release my foot. I suppose this is equivalent to what you do.

But it could be that I messed up the order recently after I bought this Taurus, because the car I had before had a hand-pull parking brake, rather than this one by foot. I will pay attention to the order next time, and hope it improves. Thanks.

QUOTE (Nidan @ Mar 8 2009, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706738
Are you parking on an incline? Often when you park on an incline, the weight of the vehicle rests against the park pawl when you put the transmission in park. Then, when you try to take it out of park, you have to pull the shifter harder because the park pawl has to slide against the weight of the car to disengage. One thing you can try is to apply the parking brake while your foot is still on the brake, but before you put the car into park. That will keep the weight of the car from settling against the park pawl when you take your foot off the brake. Then, when you go to put it into gear, put your foot on the brake first, put the car into gear, then release the parking brake. That should help it not get stuck. If that doesn't help. or if it does it even when you're not on a hil, then you probably have an internal tranny issue.[/b]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this seems to be really the issue with my car. now I put it into N before starting every time...and shifting out of P is way easier.
I plan to have it serviced next time i go to a mechanic.
thanks to all!

QUOTE (Millermagic @ Mar 9 2009, 05:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706950
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Mar 9 2009, 03:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706919
It could also be a sticking shifter interlock.[/b]
I think that might be the issue with the OPs car. Mine does the same - quick fix for it is to put the car in N before starting ... or just break the interlock ...
[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Is it a coumn shift? I would check under the dash to see if the trans selector cable is routed correctly and not kinked. My parents' 99 Sable trans cable broke. Turned out it had a little kink in it and that's where the cable broke. After I replaced the cable they said it was much easier to use the gear selector.

I would also check to see if the area around the selector lever on the trans is free of dirt, gravel or other crud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts