Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm installing Driving lights and I want them to trigger on and off with the Hi-beams. How would I go about tapping the driving lamps into the headlamps lead. My goal is to attach the positive lead to the positive on the hi-beams. whenever the high beams are engaged then the circuit will be completed and engage the high beams. Confusing enough? :p

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Crawl under your car, remove the air dam, and tap into the gray/white wire coming out of the DRL module. It's the high beam indicator wire.

You could use the wire at the headlights themselves if you don't have DRL, but I'd reccomend using the one at the module (w/ drl) or jumper plug (w/o drl).

Use a relay, don't just tap it for power, you'll bake the module.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just use a relay. FWIW most states it is illegal to have the high beams and aux lights on at the same time.
[/b]
In Alabama you can use driving lights on High beams and use fog lights on low beams :thumb:
But it's illegal to switch the order.
As for the DRL I don't have it. So I'll Just use a relay. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I think technically it's just illegal to have more than 4 forward lights.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I've seen ricers with like 10 lights on the front. Didn't know if it was a civic or a spaceship behind me making that horrendous noise while trying to catch up.

It was actually quite funny. Mr ricer hit the lights. I didn't know quite what it was and it was 3:10 AM ... I kinda stood on it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> FWIW most states it is illegal to have the high beams and aux lights on at the same time. [/b]
Never understood that :dunno:
[/b][/quote]

Neither do I. I always figured, high beams are on when theres no traffic, thats when you could use the most light.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait you are actually trying to figure out why a law is why it is????? Follow the money.
[/b]
Well Legality is not an issue. In Alabama You are authorized ONE long range Driving lamp in operation with the fog lamps and low beams. This rule changes however whenever the high beams and driving lamps are engaged and disengaged within 500 feet (minimum which really sucks i think it should be increased to 1 mile) as to not blind the opposing driver.
The cops don't care if we use a lot of auxiliary lighting. As long as we are not blinding drivers and not using it within city limits then they are cool with it. (AKA shutting it off whenever other drivers are present.)

Originally posted by Alabama DMV Code Section 32-5-241
Whenever a driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, specified in subdivision (2) of subsection (B ) of this section shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading.
What gets me is that ^^^ That rule is broken all the time here.. People put lift kits on their trucks and don't readjust their lights to prevent glare. That.. and buses have the worst blinding glare here.. I nearly drove off the road today because of one.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have my driving lights relayed to the turn on signal from the light swtich. Driving lights are on whenever the Lo or Hi beams are on. Have not been bothered by cops in town or out on the highway (they see the hi to low switching)

Flash to pass comes in handy for the people that leave their 100000000000000K f'n bright highbeams on at night. Just hold back for Lo+Hi+"Fog" lights until you get your results.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my driving lights relayed to the turn on signal from the light swtich. Driving lights are on whenever the Lo or Hi beams are on. Have not been bothered by cops in town or out on the highway (they see the hi to low switching)

Flash to pass comes in handy for the people that leave their 100000000000000K f'n bright highbeams on at night. Just hold back for Lo+Hi+"Fog" lights until you get your results.
[/b]
I have my fog lamps relayed into my headlamp on signal as well :lol2: so they don't shut off when i switch to high beams :mj_banana: I'm going to be putting in a "britebox" that will keep my Low and Highs on when I flip into the High Only position :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm going to be putting in a "britebox" that will keep my Low and Highs on when I flip into the High Only position :)
[/b]
Nice mod. No idea what the "britebox" is, but I built my own system. Had some 150A diodes and a few relays laying around, so I built that feature into my custom upgraded harness. I like the extra output.

I can sketch a diagram up need be, and list the parts you need. Mines setup like this (4 "stage" system):

1.) DRL = DRL
2.) Low = Low beams
3.) High = High + Low + Aux
4.) Pass = High + Low

Not a bad setup, because my aux system brings it up to 930 watts, and you wouldn't want to use that to flash someone, they might go blind :p

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the Auxiliary Lighting Harness is complete, all that is left now is to just fabricate the mounting bracket for the lights themselves.

Soon to have the bracket fabricated.

Oh and heres a sneak peak at the lights:

These are the Pilot PL-1065 Driving lamps. They normally use a toggle but since the harness was too small and I didnt want to surface mount another switch i set it up with a relay.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I just got the brackets Fabricated:

I'm going to be using the grille as the mounting point for these, the Brackets will use a "set" screw to be drilled in on the back to aid in vibration arresting. :D

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha i really need driving lights bright like that cuz i cant see for my life haha in my car you cant even tell my lights are on...
[/b]
they only cost me 18 bucks at autozone :mj_banana:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts