Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently nite shaded my tails and the factory lights shine through just fine but the bulbs are blackened down the sides from age so I was going to replace them. Instead of just getting straight up replacements I was looking for something brighter than stock so my lights would be easier to see on bright sunny days. I've been told that LED tail lights are not as bright as the incandescent stock ones but I also seen these halogen ones. Has anyone tried halogen brake lights? Or what about any other options that would be brighter than the stock lights?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I've never heard of halogen taillights. You don't want them too bright though because you'll blind the person behind you at a stop. I know I've been angry at a few Toyota drivers for their stock laser-like LED lights.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 2 2009, 10:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729803
I've never heard of halogen taillights. You don't want them too bright though because you'll blind the person behind you at a stop. I know I've been angry at a few Toyota drivers for their stock laser-like LED lights.[/b]
I don't know about halogen brake lights either. I just kind of came across by mistake when searching for new bulbs. I don't want them to bright, but with the tail tinted I was trying to find something a little brighter. That is if I could.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I dont believe they make LED tailslights for your Gen. I know they have them for the Gen 2.

Like the previous poster suggested, get some LEDs from Super Bright LED

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question though, if I end up using led bulbs for my tail lights don't I have to get an adapter or something so the turn signal flashes properly?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
yes an electronic flasher or a inline load resistor to bring back the same amount of power drawn. you should be able to get them from the same website you buy the led lights from. also try www.v-leds.com personally my favorite site :D

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The 3-watt Led's are significantly DIMMER than even the stock incandescent bulbs. They're bright if you look right at them, but don't work well in a reflector-style tail light housing. Don't go that route.

The halogen bulbs are a neat idea, but I'd be rather worried about excessive heat, and eventual melting.

Besides a new set of incandescent bulbs, I don't really have any other ideas to offer.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know, most of the halogen tail light bulbs I found haven't been more than 27watts. I believe that's what oem max out at too. So heat really shouldn't be an issue...i hope. But my thinking is being halogen packed at the same wattage should appear to burn brighter. And I figure what the hell, halogen last longer. I might try them out (crossing fingers). Thanks though, I've decided to stay away from led because dimmer just won't cut it for me.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (Skinnyguy59 @ Jun 3 2009, 09:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730048
Don't know, most of the halogen tail light bulbs I found haven't been more than 27watts. I believe that's what oem max out at too. So heat really shouldn't be an issue...i hope. But my thinking is being halogen packed at the same wattage should appear to burn brighter. And I figure what the hell, halogen last longer. I might try them out (crossing fingers). Thanks though, I've decided to stay away from led because dimmer just won't cut it for me.[/b]
Look at the LED's I posted.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Those tower-types aren't quite as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs either. That's the one complaint I have with mine. Certainly not bad, but not brighter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You need an upgraded tail light harness lol

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
The LED's from my LED Taillights are blindingly bright =X

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ Jun 4 2009, 10:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730136
The LED's from my LED Taillights are blindingly bright =X[/b]
:werd: The true to life full-on G2 LED tails are freakin terrifying! Last time I saw Rudy's car, im pretty sure one of his tail lights boiled my blood when it turned on. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts