Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know...a GL Wagon, not cool. However, I still want to have a bit of fun with it, and the first things I'm looking at are the tail lights. I know aftermarket items for non-SHO Tauruses are few and far between - and for the wagon are even worse. Anyhow, I want to do something with the tail lights, just not sure what. I know the Altezza styles have been done to death on everything else, but since my wagon is pure white, I'd like to find something along those lines to do. Any suggestions.......anyone? I know up front I'll more than likely put smoked covers over the headlights, and I'm thinking of putting some foglights down below, preferably off of a SHO. Any ideas or suggestions (and hey..be nice) would be great.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Welcome to the club...stuff like this has been discussed ad nauseum. Please use the search option in the forum for these types of questions.

JR

J

·
0 Posts
Yes, please use the search function to find what others have done. There is a type of "spray on" black-out stuff so you can black out your lights, which usually looks good on a white car. This is cheaper than buying aftermarket lights. Plus, you can probably pick up cheap ones on ebay to black out, then you still have your other set if you don't like it or if something happens.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I saw this guy on cardomain one time take a piece of vynal and trace out part of it so he had a custom look to it. The wagon was white so was the vynal so it looked cool in my opinion.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by 95FORDT@Oct 5 2004, 08:37 PM
I saw this guy on cardomain one time take a piece of vynal and trace out part of it so he had a custom look to it. The wagon was white so was the vynal so it looked cool in my opinion.
vinyl

sorry... had to do it :p

welcome to the club. check out summit racing for night shades

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay this may not be the mod anyone is looking for for your tail lights but it's what I did to my 93 taurus GL.
Go to an autoparts store, I got it from Advanced auto Parts.
They sell rolls of carbon fiber sticker, kinda like window tint.
I took my taillight covers off and molded the carbon fiber over the covers, used a hair dryer to heat and stretch around the curves, Then marking the areas where each of the brakelights, and the backup lights were I cut out my design.
DRA on the driver side, and GON on the passenger side in flamed letters, now my Taurus has carbonfiber tail lights that spell DRAGON when I turn on my lights or hit the brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Troublemaker@Oct 5 2004, 06:35 PM
I know, I know...a GL Wagon, not cool. However, I still want to have a bit of fun with it, and the first things I'm looking at are the tail lights. I know aftermarket items for non-SHO Tauruses are few and far between - and for the wagon are even worse. Anyhow, I want to do something with the tail lights, just not sure what. I know the Altezza styles have been done to death on everything else, but since my wagon is pure white, I'd like to find something along those lines to do. Any suggestions.......anyone? I know up front I'll more than likely put smoked covers over the headlights, and I'm thinking of putting some foglights down below, preferably off of a SHO. Any ideas or suggestions (and hey..be nice) would be great.
Since you have a GL wagon that would mean it's either a genII or III. Altezzas are only available for GenIV's , and they wouldn't even fit the wagons for that generation. As Jason already said, get a spray on tint for the taillights, and I would recommend covers for the headlights. The spray-on tint is made by VHT, it's called Niteshades, and you can get it at summitracing.com if you're interested. You can search on the forums for it to see what others have done.

Also, I would not go with SHO foglights. Only the GenII's had foglights, and they're good for nothing anyway. Definitely nothing that will increase visibility at night, so I'd go for some aftermarket ones, and get some Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs to go with 'em.

A nice dark tint would look good on a white car too.
BTW, it would help to know what year your wagon is.

-Rob

·
Registered
230 Posts
QUOTE]Profile says '95 although I disagree with the engine. [/QUOTE]

hmm i dissagree too, maybe he meant the 3.0 vulcan.

Only the GenII's had foglights
i'm pretty sure (almost positive) that the gen I's had them too

I know up front I'll more than likely put smoked covers over the headlights, and I'm thinking of putting some foglights down below, preferably off of a SHO.
there is nothing special about SHO foglights execept that the stock ones suck. i beleive that you can get PIAA replacements that are quite nice (and much brighter)

on a different note, why not swap the front clip? that way you can have cutouts in your bumper for the foglights, you would need the SHO headlights though, but they make covers for those as well

I know, I know...a GL Wagon, not cool
not true at all, my first bull was a 90 glw wagon and it was a blast. (rear seats fold down, making large area, follow me??? :p)

but on a more seirous note, your car is as cool as you choose to make it, have fun with it and remember in the end it's your opinion that counts.

and i'll leave you with a few pics of my favorite white gen II wagon

http://www.klimesgroup.com/showagon/images/ropen.jpg' alt='' width='732' height='470' class='attach' />[/url]

[url=http://www.klimesgroup.com/showagon/images/picshtm/eng1.jpg][img]http://www.klimesgroup.com/showagon/images/picshtm/eng1.jpg' alt='' width='600' height='378' class='attach' />[/url]

[url=http://www.klimesgroup.com/showagon/images/picshtm/front.jpg][img]http://www.klimesgroup.com/showagon/images/picshtm/front.jpg' alt='' width='400' height='391' class='attach' />[/url]

more at
[url=http://www.klimesgroup.com/showagon/second.htm]http://www.klimesgroup.com/showagon/second.htm[/url]

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by pimpin90GL@Oct 7 2004, 01:01 PM
Only the GenII's had foglights
i'm pretty sure (almost positive) that the gen I's had them too
Yeah, I knew that, I just meant to say that GenIII's didn't have them. GenIs and IIs are very similar.

there is nothing special about SHO foglights execept that the stock ones suck
That's exactly what I was saying, the only advantage of having them is being able to say you swapped SHO parts onto your SLO. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
i want to change my break lights too. but more radical then most people what to go. i want to fill in the break light area so the rear is totaly smoth. and mount some break lights just inside the rear window.
kind of cop style

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Why not make the taillights like the old Malibu wagons? Like crackhead was saying fill in the gap of the taillights, except instead of putting brake lights in the rear window, put them in the rear bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts