Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come Ford changed their tail lights from yellow blinkers in the 96-97, to red blinkers in 98-99? Personally, I like the yellow look, I think it accents the car more.

Adam

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The red/red on the '98/'99 models would look better if they wired it up like a Gen 2 (inner lights brake/tail, outer lights brake/turn).

They probably changed it for the same reason why they changed it in '89.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
*waves hand*

I'm an amber lover; they probably changed it because it looks "sleeker" or some crap with it being all red.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the red/red. I wanna remove all the yellow from my lights, amber is just a fancy word fer yella!

Any suggestions for front parking light bulbs? Already did them damn orange sidemarkers on my gen3.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by Dagamemnon@Dec 22 2003, 03:17 AM
Any suggestions for front parking light bulbs? Already did them damn orange sidemarkers on my gen3.
Silverstar bulbs are fantastic, in looks and performance.

And the tails were changed as part of the car's styling freshening, the same reason they dumped the twin-slot grille for the wide-mouth style grille. They may have also found that the lights performed better (i.e., were more visible or more easily interpreted) as red. Or maybe the just ran out of yellow plastic.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Orange/yellow was found by scientists to actually attract drunk drivers. Drunk drivers are attracted to yellow more than any other color. They are actually trying to change the construction lights that blink orange to a different color because of this. That is probably why. I think it's BS.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Dec 23 2003, 03:27 AM
Orange/yellow was found by scientists to actually attract drunk drivers. Drunk drivers are attracted to yellow more than any other color. They are actually trying to change the construction lights that blink orange to a different color because of this. That is probably why. I think it's BS.
This sounds strange. Can you point us to the data to back up this claim? How long ago was this claim made?

Personally, I think turn signals and brake lights should be different colours. Think about this. The signals and brake lights serve 2 vastly different purposes. Why use the same colour for both? Outside of North America they are different by law. If you want to register an American car in Europe, even if you are in the services, and that car has red turn signals, the car has to be converted to amber turn signals. A friend of mine registered his 99 SHO in the UK. He was lucky that simply putting 96/97 rear lenses on the car sufficed. At one point I was thinking about taking my 95 SHO to the UK. I would have had to add extra amber turn signals at the rear of the car and modified the multifunction switch in the steering column. I think one of the reasons that the multifunction switches on the Gen I/II feel like crap (when compared to the ultra smooth and positive switches of Hondas/Toyotas/Jags, etc.) is that they have to make/break brake light circuits as well as activating flasher units. Add to this the fact that the hazard flasher switch integrates with this multifunction switch (on Gen I/II), and the hazard flasher switch is a lot stiffer and cheaper feeling than those in lesser cars.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
318 Posts
Frankly, I hate getting stuck behind a car with amber turn signals at a long left turn. The doggone bright amber turn signal flashing in my eyes is just too bright. Red is better for turn signals in my opinion. You guys think what you wish...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think a clear white or green would be good for me....since all around on my ride is all green minus the back end which I'm kinda stuck on what I'm gonna do about that?

And just for clarifacation if you went over to the UK you would also have to get a fog light on the back end of the car cause over there they do fog lights in the back instead of the front. And you would also have to get your head lights changed facing the over direction which is a huge pain in the arse....trust me when I say...Had to do it for a lot of the sailers coming over to the UK.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts