Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up my car yesterday after sitting the better part of a week - All of the lights that are supposed to come on the dash when you turn the key did - car started, did fine. I then noticed my tach was dead.

Now - if I turn the key on - the only light that comes on is the battery light.

Everything is working fine. Car runs and drives great - no other electrical issues I can find.

Somebody suggested crank position sensor - with there clearly being a change in the lights that come on - would that be it?

Does not the fuel gauge go to zero when you shut it off? Mine shows what's in the tank.

Any ideas?????

THANK YOU!

· Premium Member
970 Posts
A little out of my wheelhouse, but on the V8 SHO cars - No Tach at crank is Crank Position Sensor.

It's relatively inexpensive. If I was uncertain, I would certainly throw one at this issue.
Cam Position Sensor on V8 cars also has its share of headaches, but the tach usually still bumps at cranking.

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I knew.

· Registered
112 Posts
Having owned a couple SHOs in the past, this does not sound like a crank position sensor.issue if the car starts and runs fine without the occasional no start.or stall. And they are not easy to fix since it is under the timing cover near crank sprocket. It sounds more like a cam sensor issue which is easy to replace and is found on rear cam sprocket. Still found on Rock Auto for a good price. Worth a parts cannon shot in my opinion. Same part for manual or automatic since I don't know what you have.
1994 FORD TAURUS 3.2L V6 Camshaft Position Sensor | RockAuto

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I manage an O’Reilly auto parts. I have an automatic. You think that would cause the lack of warning lights when you first turn the key on?

· Registered
1998 Taurus SE Sedan 3.0L24V AX4N 91Kmi
178 Posts
Never "throw part$" at a problem - always diagnose it logically.

If the engine runs, there's NOTHING wrong with the CKP since the PCM is using that to open the injectors AND to feed to the ignition system to fire the coil. It MUST either be a break in the Tan/Yellow wire (circuit 11), or a tachometer failure, or a fault in the tach power/return(ground) circuits. Return is not shared inside the cluster, but it's shared outside with the fuel gauge & slosh module (low fuel light). But POWER is shared inside the cluster with several of the warning lights, so that's the most-likely problem. Check fuse 18 (10A). If it's good, pull the cluster & check for power on harness connector C250 (18-pin Gray) pin 10 (Red/Yel) with the key in START or RUN.

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Under the hood box or under the dash box?

· Registered
12,220 Posts
I started up my car yesterday after sitting the better part of a week - All of the lights that are supposed to come on the dash when you turn the key did - car started, did fine. I then noticed my tach was dead.

Now - if I turn the key on - the only light that comes on is the battery light.

Everything is working fine. Car runs and drives great - no other electrical issues I can find.

Somebody suggested crank position sensor - with there clearly being a change in the lights that come on - would that be it?

Does not the fuel gauge go to zero when you shut it off? Mine shows what's in the tank.

Any ideas?????

THANK YOU!
I would start with the 3 grounds subject to fails.
Pic of firewall ground that was causing bad idle on '03.
Other is bat to fender, and on mine another ground fender to sensors and it near the air filter box.
Pic of diag. of '04 that ground on the fender mear the air filter box.
-chart-

Attachments

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
1,026 Posts

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
1,026 Posts
I’m away from the house at work. Thanks.
You obviously have enough time at work to be on the internet where you can access the owners manual.

And since you work in a parts store, you are already familiar with making guesses.

Thanks.

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You obviously have enough time at work to be on the internet where you can access the owners manual.

And since you work in a parts store, you are already familiar with making guesses.

Thanks.
I work 60 miles away from the car and the owners manual. The car is currently covered in a 1/4 inch of ice. Hopefully, by Friday it will thaw - I’ll have the day off and will check the fuse. I’ll take your comments as light hearted. Today, I was sitting in a seven hour meeting away from the store and had no access to anything.

· Registered
178 Posts
Under the hood box or under the dash box?
Yes. If both have a fuse with that number, check both. But when you get into the car, you can look in the manual. If you can't get into the car, then it doesn't matter which fuse or location.

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never "throw part$" at a problem - always diagnose it logically.

If the engine runs, there's NOTHING wrong with the CKP since the PCM is using that to open the injectors AND to feed to the ignition system to fire the coil. It MUST either be a break in the Tan/Yellow wire (circuit 11), or a tachometer failure, or a fault in the tach power/return(ground) circuits. Return is not shared inside the cluster, but it's shared outside with the fuel gauge & slosh module (low fuel light). But POWER is shared inside the cluster with several of the warning lights, so that's the most-likely problem. Check fuse 18 (10A). If it's good, pull the cluster & check for power on harness connector C250 (18-pin Gray) pin 10 (Red/Yel) with the key in START or RUN.
Steve83
That fixed it. Thank you very much!!!!

· Registered
178 Posts

· Registered
1995 Taurus SHO
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah. I wondered about that. Something had to have caused it. What would be your approach?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts