Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we had our frist storm of the season here and I can say that I am very impressed with the T/C . I did a small "test" with the T/C on and off, and I can say that it makes a HUGE difference.

There were several steep grades and corners that it kicked in and I was able to navigate with ease. It is not a requirement, but if you can get a car that is equipped with it, I HIGHLY recommend it.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Yeah T/C works pretty well in the snow here in Colorado. They really dont put salt down on the roads locally. The sun melts em quick enough for sure. But then it gets dark and there is usually clear ice (black ice) on the road that is very hard to see. The T/C works best when I hit patches of this. I got the "safety Package" on my SES it includes ABS (of course) T/C and airbags. I wanted a safe car for my family since we (my wife) didn't want to get an suv. I had read of enough guys walking away from crashes on this forum over the last couple of years that I felt the Taurus was safe enough for my two kids and my wife should we get in an accident.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Dec 6 2003, 09:05 AM
Dude. Did g3's come with T/C? Cuz I sure don't have it. I have your standard no-cool-factory-add-on package
Nope, only gen IV's.

I test drove one with it before...I think it does a pretty good job

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, another fact that I like about it is that it is an All Speed system. Some cut out at 25-35MPH. I found out very quickly today that it can really save you when you get into trouble.

It's still snowing here (very lightly) and I decided to take a drive to go shopping. Most of the major roads are just wet, and I went around a bend at 45, going just a bit too fast and hit a patch of slush that I didn't see, The T/C did it's job, very well I might add.

Next there was this huuge hill that was still slush covered, most 4x4 and other cars were getting stuck or sliding down, so I said why not, I made the turn, got 1/3 of the way up where most people started to slide and the T/C came on, it was on for the entire way up, but I kept my speed and got to the top looking back to see nobody behind me.

Best part of the car I found so far, great winter handling.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Let's not forget that the T/c is nice but it won't make you invincible.

I don't wanna hear about any horrible accidents because someone with T/c lost all traction on all four tires---that would make for a sad christmas

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by djnb40+Dec 6 2003, 11:35 AM-->QUOTE (djnb40 @ Dec 6 2003, 11:35 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit
@Dec 6 2003, 09:05 AM
Dude. Did g3's come with T/C? Cuz I sure don't have it. I have your standard no-cool-factory-add-on package
Nope, only gen IV's.
[/b]
Are you sure? I came very close to buying a 98 or 99 Taurus about a year ago. I forget what trim level it was, but it had the super shiny chrome rims (not the SHO rims) and the dealer swore it had T/C. <_< Of course, the car sold during the 24 hours I was waiting for my bank to call me back about the loan.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Dec 6 2003, 02:21 PM
Let's not forget that the T/c is nice but it won't make you invincible.

I don't wanna hear about any horrible accidents because someone with T/c lost all traction on all four tires---that would make for a sad christmas
Yeah, so if you're going to do something stupid in the snow, make sure you wait until after the holidays.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Yeah mines pretty sweet too, its the 3rd year ive used it.

-Damon

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For doing stuipd things in the snow I take the Grand Marquis, Rear Wheel drive and pulling the fuse for the ABS and TC on that is much more fun in the snow. All you need is an inch or so and an open parking lot and it's spinning time!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Gen 4's were the first to have it. You can add it to your car for $2 g's plus install.....not worth it on a car worth no more tan 7000

Brad

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got to use the TC on this first big snowfall(18") in my area, I was real impressed with the TC and the Taurus just pulled trough the snow! I would add that I live on the south shore of Long Island which is flat so I don't know how well this would work in a hilly region.

Pete

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The T/C does great on hills and turns where you might start to loose traction and put yourself in a bad spot. It also gives you that little warning to slow down.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I have a Gen III, and 4-Wheel Disc brakes, does that mean that I have ABS on all 4 wheels? and if you have a Taurus with disc and drum brakes, are the front ones ABS, or non ABS.

Thanks
Adam

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Dec 8 2003, 07:19 PM
I have a Gen III, and 4-Wheel Disc brakes, does that mean that I have ABS on all 4 wheels? and if you have a Taurus with disc and drum brakes, are the front ones ABS, or non ABS.

Thanks
Adam
If you have disc, you have ABS on all four wheels. If you don't have 4 wheel disc, you can still have ABS, and it will be on all four wheels. The only Gen4's that have 4wheel discs are the wagons, but the sedans can still get ABS.

That kinda jazz.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
T/C is great, but not infallible. This past spring I put new tires on my XJR - I replaced the Pirelli P6000s with Michelin Pilot Sports of the same size. I kept one of the P6000s as a full size spare. A couple of hours after putting the Michelins on I visited a mall. When I came back out to the car one of the rear Michelins was flat - I'd picked up a nail in the sidewall - I was pissed!. I put the on the P6000 spare tire and headed home on the highway. As I got to 60 mph the engine started bucking and losing power. I pulled over, turned off the car, started it it up, and tried driving again. Still no power above 60 mph. Out of nowhere a lighbulb went off in my head. Aha - traction control, I wondered. Turned of the T/C and no more bucking and no more power loss. There was enough of a size difference between the new Michelin and the old Pirelli to fool the T/C. Wierd, huh?

Mark
95 SHO

J

·
0 Posts
That is weird Mark... <_<

I also have to agree that the T/C is awesome - I've experienced it doing its job on the highway at higher speeds and in town at lower speeds and it has worked awesome every time.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
yes their is that much of a size difference in the tires to throw off the TC. the sensors are just like the awd systems that minivans have. My dad had ro replace 4 tires on his bc the rr tire got a nail in the side wall.
also make sure your tires are rotated, other wise the tc will start kicking in.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by crackhead@Dec 8 2003, 08:25 PM
yes their is that much of a size difference in the tires to throw off the TC. the sensors are just like the awd systems that minivans have. My dad had ro replace 4 tires on his bc the rr tire got a nail in the side wall.
also make sure your tires are rotated, other wise the tc will start kicking in.
The Jaguar owner's manual states that I should NOT rotate the tires. I'll have to find out why.

Mark
95 SHO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts