Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has used Royal Purple oils in their Taurus/Sable?

if so, how well as your car performed?

have you noticed ANY difference in performance? fuel economy? shifting?

I ask all of those questions since my grand father swears by the stuff for his cars.. including his '12 Ram 1500 HEMI

c: thanks for the help ladies and gentlemen

P.S., if YOU have better or similar results with other synthetics, let me know

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm..

I mean, I generally use mobil1 in my 01 Taurus but I'm highly considering about getting an 08 SEL AWD to replace my current one.. so I was covering my bases before hand.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
I have a Motorcraft Synthetic blend in my Sable. The next oil change I'm planing on going full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I use Royal Purple in my SHO and just got the test results back from Blackstone Labs. I am really impressed with it and will continue to use it and Royal Purple filters. It's really not any more expensive then any other synthetic if you buy it buy the case. After having the oil tested I am really considering increasing my change interval from 3K to 5K.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Had a guy come into our shop with nothing but AMSOIL for his 5.9 Cummins. I'm sure the oil is quite impressive, but in now way could I personally justify spending $200+ per oil change.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've used synthetic on and off. Can't tell any difference in performance. If you are intending to go longer periods between changes, likely you can do that with today's modern mineral oils and regular changes.
If you want to go more than 300,000 miles on the engine, maybe you can anyway. My '02 is beginning to look its age, maybe I don't want to keep it the rest of my life.
Is like taking a multi vitamin. How you know it will extend your life?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the responses c:

I was kinda getting a rough of idea of what different drivers were using. since I bought my 2001 Taurus in 2010, I've paid roughly 40 for an oil change, at the most expensive was 65 bucks at walmart (never going there again). I also used pure synthetic atf in my transmission making shift LOADS better then when I got it.

my 01 is rusting pretty bad (no surprise, I live in Michigan) but it's also suspension problems, the drivers door is slightly bent and doesn't shut completely so during a nice hard rain or an auto carwash, it leaks a tid bit. also with no power steering (again, living in michigan and where I live specifically, it's pothole city) I have to ""throw"" the car around...

so I've been leaning towards the Gen 5s (2008-2009) so when I drive to Bay City from Lansing and back about 2-3 times a month to see my kids, I have a MUCH better Taurus that'll last me loads longer. c:

but mainly I wanted people's inputs and opinions for motor oils since theres many people out there they swear by one thing or another when it comes to said oils.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a guy come into our shop with nothing but AMSOIL for his 5.9 Cummins. I'm sure the oil is quite impressive, but in now way could I personally justify spending $200+ per oil change.
200 bucks?! that's just insane but I can understand since it's a diesel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use Royal Purple in my SHO and just got the test results back from Blackstone Labs. I am really impressed with it and will continue to use it and Royal Purple filters. It's really not any more expensive then any other synthetic if you buy it buy the case. After having the oil tested I am really considering increasing my change interval from 3K to 5K.
since you started using Royal Purple in your SHO, does the motor "feel" better during driving and acceleration? and does the fuel economy go up a bit?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
since you started using Royal Purple in your SHO, does the motor "feel" better during driving and acceleration? and does the fuel economy go up a bit?

You shouldn't "feel" any difference when changing between oils. The difference in mpg, performance, should be so tiny, that it's pretty much impossible to measure. The only way to tell if the oil worked well at all, is to send a sample for the test. I personally think RP is overpriced product. I can get a 5 quart jug of any brand synthetic from walmart for about $25. The RP is >9 dollars a quart at the local auto parts stores, and they never have a sale on RP. Is it really better than say Mobil 1 or say German Castrol? You can certainly use RP, if that makes you sleep better. When spending so much money, you might as well consider AMSOIL signature series and extend the OCI. Personally, I'd just use an off the shelf synthetic from walmart and go by the oil life monitor.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Awesome. For more than a decade Ford recommended 5000 mile oil change interval with conventional oil. Recently the recommendation went up to 7500 miles for normal duty and 5000 miles for severe duty, still using a modern conventional oil. You don't need a UOA to tell you that a synthetic oil will be good for at least the same length of internal.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
200 bucks?! that's just insane but I can understand since it's a diesel.
Maybe it's a exaggeration. Signature Series, AMSOIL's best product (I think) is listed for less than $11 a quart. If you find a local dealer, it probably will cost less. Of course, it's an expensive oil change if you have a big V8 that takes 8 quarts of oil.

If you want to get really geeky with oil, look up the Caterham blend on bobistheoilguy. Going by specs, they figured that you can make an excellent 0W30 oil, if you mix Mobil 1 0W40 (which is an unusually good oil, better than an average Mobil 1, since 0W40 is a formula designed for german cars) with Toyota's 0W20. You get a 30 grade oil with a very high viscosity index (good for cold start) and detergents that will last an insane amount of time. A lot of BMWs go 10K-15K miles between oil changes with M1 0W40 with good UOA results (well, it was designed for that).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You shouldn't "feel" any difference when changing between oils. The difference in mpg, performance, should be so tiny, that it's pretty much impossible to measure. The only way to tell if the oil worked well at all, is to send a sample for the test. I personally think RP is overpriced product. I can get a 5 quart jug of any brand synthetic from walmart for about $25. The RP is >9 dollars a quart at the local auto parts stores, and they never have a sale on RP. Is it really better than say Mobil 1 or say German Castrol? You can certainly use RP, if that makes you sleep better. When spending so much money, you might as well consider AMSOIL signature series and extend the OCI. Personally, I'd just use an off the shelf synthetic from walmart and go by the oil life monitor.
I looked at the prices at my local meijer, and I cannot believe that it's so high.. even if i do it myself, which I do, it's stupid expensive..

·
Registered
815 Posts
Maybe it's a exaggeration. Signature Series, AMSOIL's best product (I think) is listed for less than $11 a quart. If you find a local dealer, it probably will cost less. Of course, it's an expensive oil change if you have a big V8 that takes 8 quarts of oil.

If you want to get really geeky with oil, look up the Caterham blend on bobistheoilguy. Going by specs, they figured that you can make an excellent 0W30 oil, if you mix Mobil 1 0W40 (which is an unusually good oil, better than an average Mobil 1, since 0W40 is a formula designed for german cars) with Toyota's 0W20. You get a 30 grade oil with a very high viscosity index (good for cold start) and detergents that will last an insane amount of time. A lot of BMWs go 10K-15K miles between oil changes with M1 0W40 with good UOA results (well, it was designed for that).
I remember exactly what he purchased. 4 Gallons Synthetic Premium 15w-40 comes to $153.10 and the filter came to $24.80. So $177 was the total just for the oil and filter. So roughly $200, twenty more bucks and it would have been $200. It is a 25k filter though so $177 may be worth it. 2007 Ram 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The only synthetic I currently run is Quaker State Ultimate Durability in my 07 F-150 with the 5.4 3v Triton. I get it on sale at Menards for $2.99 a quart. When I run out of what I have on hand I am going to switch to Trop Artic synthetic blend since I can get it for $2.25 a quart at Sam's club. I'm sure a conventional would do just fine in that engine but it gives me the warm fuzzies since it has cam phazers.
All my other cars get conventional Quaker State green bottle or Shell white bottle. I pick both up at Menards when on sale.
Extended change intervals work well with synthetic oil. All my cars get 5,000 mile oil changes so I don't have the need for it and use conventional oils.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Honestly, I use Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic in my 2008. Blackstone says the oil has tons of additive left, even after 6000+ miles and still had plenty of life left. I'm going to stick to 5000 miles intervals, with any oil.

Mobil 1 is pretty good oil, but I ran the extended 10k miles in my moms car and it was beat. Very little additive left at that point. On the bottle they say its good for 15k but thats BS.

Really shouldn't change shifting at all since its engine oil.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,999 Posts
I use Valvoline MaxLife HM oil, 5W-30. It's a semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The only true synthetic oils are Mobile1, Purple Royal and Amsoil.
The rest are 'legally' allowed to be called synthetic only in US (in Germany they lost), but even law cannot change their base - mineral oil.
Personally I believed that they are all the same, until I used a Mobile 1 change (was on sale) in my Explorer. Because my Explorer was previously abused, is very picky about the oil quality - it would flicker the oil pressure at idle, hot with used-up oils (same initial grade). With usual oils (including Motorcraft semisynthetic or 'legal designed' synthetics), after 2-3000 miles it would already signal that the additives are done by pressure below 5psi flicker (idle, hot).

Mobile 1 that I have now is at 6000 miles without any change in that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts