Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried a new IAC which helped a little bit and found and fixed a crack in a pcv hose. The car doesn't seem as peppy as i would think it should be but it shifts ok to what i can tell with out a tach. The biggest issue i have is when i drive then go and put the car back in park. When shifting into park the car increases idle as it should but then doesn't go back down. it stays at a high idle until i turn the car off. Is my Throttle position sensor bad and preventing it in any way? I looked at the TPS plug and the pins have a little of this white corrosion on them. I tried to clean it with some electrical connection cleaner but i dont think it helped. is it hard to replace the TPS?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The next step is to get a scantool and look at some live data. TPS opening at idle should be around 18%. If that's OK, look at fuel trims. If they're too positive you probably still have a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Was the white stuff actually corrosion or white grease?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds more like a vacuum leak.

I had a bad TPS on my 00' Tec, and the main thing it affected was the shift points. Engine would scream usually 4.5k until 50 mph when it shifted to 3rd. I never left third gear until I stopped.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^^^ +1

Was the white stuff actually corrosion or white grease?
It didnt look like grease. It almost looked like hard water deposits.

I found a loose rubber hose that led to the front fuel rail i put a couple cable ties on it. tomorrow ill check to see if that solved it. I will keep looking for a vacuum leak. What are common areas for vacuum leaks on the vulcan engine?

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
^ Pcv hose and grommet. Crankcase ventilation (emission) hoses and rubber elbows on the valve covers and corrugated air tube.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Pcv hose and grommet. Crankcase ventilation (emission) hoses and rubber elbows on the valve covers and corrugated air tube.
Put a hose clamp on the crankcase elbow that connects to the front valve cover by the oil fill tube. The elbow was not cracked but loose that the plastic ventilation tube was almost falling out. Today the idle was really rough even in drive at stop lights. So i put the hose clamp on at a gas station and it definately helped and didnt do the roughness / stumbling at idle anymore. its still is a little weirder then i think a vulcan should idle rpm wise but with out a tach its hard to tell. Im thinking maybe of changing the grommet the pcv valve connects to. Do those wear out? how much is it and can i get it at advance auto or?

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
^ Grommet is bad if valve sits in too loosely, is cracked, hard, oil-soaked or otherwise damaged. Either available behind the counter, in the dorman Help! section or hanging with the pcv valves. Replacement rubber elbows and other vacuum accessories and connectors should also be available in the Help! section. My local advance auto has 2 separate Help! sections, if so, check both.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Grommet is bad if valve sits in too loosely, is cracked, hard, oil-soaked or otherwise damaged. Either available behind the counter, in the dorman Help! section or hanging with the pcv valves. Replacement rubber elbows and other vacuum accessories and connectors should also be available in the Help! section. My local advance auto has 2 separate Help! sections, if so, check both.
Thank you. What is a good way of testing the seal of my old grommet before i buy a new one?

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
^ Checking how snug the pcv valve sits in it. As previously stated, if its cracked, hard, oil-soaked or otherwise damaged.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also might be puffing oil smoke if seal is bad.
Thank you. I will check the valve tomorrow. I dont remember the valve grommet puffing oil smoke. Though i do remember the grommet and especially the old pcv valve had alot of oil on it when i changed it this last summer. I remember that the old valve was gunked up and oily.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I will check the valve tomorrow. I dont remember the valve grommet puffing oil smoke. Though i do remember the grommet and especially the old pcv valve had alot of oil on it when i changed it this last summer. I remember that the old valve was gunked up and oily.
I checked so far and hose clamped the crankcase tube from the oil filler neck to the air intake. This seemed like it helped but today it was acting up again. it would be ok turning the engine on but after driving a bit and putting it back in park the car rpms took off and didnt go back down. it was such a high rpm when i turned off the car i could feel the car shake.

Is my throttle cable bad then? or my tps? how would i check this? Whatcha guys think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts