Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new website is going to take some getting used to...
Anyway, After running the motorcraft 5w20 semisynthetic in the car since purchasing it 2 years ago, I decided to switch to castrol syntec 5w30 for the last oil change. I've put a little less than 3000 miles on it since then, and I noticed yesterday that I was down by a quart. Is this normal when switching to full synthetic for the first time? I'm fairly sure it's not leaking anywhere, the pan gasket is bone dry as I replaced it a few months ago. I really hope it doesn't start using oil like this, as it never has before... By the way, it's a 1999 Taurus SE Duratec with almost 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
when switching from penz high mileage to RP synthetic i noticed the same thing (97 vulcan) topped it off and it was fine...

i saw the drop at 700-1000 miles area, almost time for my next change...
but she's been running a lot smoother ever since the top-up

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I wouldn't wast my effort on Castrol. It is a groupIII stock, which put it about on par with your Motorcraft oil, but it costs a lot more. If you are going to use a synthetic, make sure it is a GroupIV.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I thought Castrol was one of the better synthetics. Little Blue v6, did your vulcan stop using oil after the next oil change? And Khan Tyranitar, is Royal Purple a Group IV? If so I'll get some for my next oil change.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
When I switched to synthetic, I did not have any change in oil levels...I know engines can loose oil with age, but mine really doesn't indicate anything major on the dipstick.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did not have good experiences with RP, rougher idle and worse MPG. I try to stick with Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum, sometimes Valvoline synt. I wish Rotella made something with a 5W30 or 10W30 weight.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yes RP is a groupIV. I use it myself, I have also used Amsoil. The advantage to groupIV oils is the dramatically extended service intervals due to the oils extreme resistances to heat and shear. The oil does not break down or deteriorate easily, and tends to hold a very strong film. I run my car 15,000 miles between oil changes because the type of driving I do supports that, and the filters I use can last that long.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i run RP with a K&N filter, fram doesn't seem to hold up...
Once I found out that a Fram Filter was made with cardboard and glue.. I stayed the HELL away from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '97 with 275,000. Never has needed any work and all I've ever used is Walmart 10w30, sometimes 10w40 depending on my mood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1996 Taurus V6 Vulcan motor and run Royal Purple in it.. just receently at 131,000 miles. And I also use the new Royal Purple Oil Filter.
You can find deals at Pepboys in their flyer.
I noticed that my gas mileage improved and it seem to run really nice and smooth. My 96 Taurus V6 GL really love this stuff so I'am gonna keep using it. Stay away from fram oil filters.. they are cr*p. Do a google search on it or youtube video on it and they have a comparison of various Oil Filters cut appart. Its really interesting to see the difference. The Royal Purple Oil filters FAR exceed manufactures recomendations and far exceed any oil filter specs so far to date.. the one that is almost simalar to RP oil flter is the K&N. Take care guys.. and happy Taurusing!

I added a few embeded links so you don't have to go off to do the research on your own. Hope this helps.. use your best judgement!
An oil filter is not always what it seems. ENJOY

ENJOY THE VIDEO - ITS VERY INFORMATIVE​

·
Registered
91 Posts
a synthetic oil is almost the same as the regular oil but it has more detergents and other stuff... also you get a better performance feel when you use a synthetic oil... oil is oil... oh and for a heads up your vulcan may take 4.5qts.. i over filled mine toooo many times by 1/2 a qt (6 oil changes give or take) and blew out an oil pan gasket.. semi-synthetic uses 1/2 regular oil and 1/2 full synthetic... FULL synthetic is the best way to go for performance... but its all in the prices of who you go with... different manufactures use different amounts and kinds of detergents... castrol: $200 for 5 qts, pensoil about the same... royal purple about 30$ for 5 qts - (usually for a race street/strip oil) ALL OIL COMES FROM THE EARTH... (starts as Crude oil then broken down... gas, oil, what ever kinds of oil's that are made from crude oil) their just manufactured differently...YouTube - More Power to You - How Oil Is Drilled, Transported And Refined To Gasoline

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
a synthetic oil is almost the same as the regular oil but it has more detergents and other stuff...
Wrong. Synthetic oil is made in a labratory. Some is pure synthetic and some utilizes base stock oils which are then chemically engineered.
also you get a better performance feel when you use a synthetic oil... oil is oil...
All oils are not created equal. But you are correct in saying there is no performance increase. Except in the area of less friction and possibly better mileage.
semi-synthetic uses 1/2 regular oil and 1/2 full synthetic...
VERY WRONG. There is no guidlines on what constitutes "Synthetic Blend" or "Semi-synthetic" as you call it. It may be as little as 5% synthetic... so the increase in price is not worth it. Either go full synthetic or stay dyno.
ALL OIL COMES FROM THE EARTH... (starts as Crude oil then broken down... gas, oil, what ever kinds of oil's that are made from crude oil) their just manufactured differently...
Not all synthetics. Its starts from a base stock which may or may not be full synthetic then is chemically engineered into a full synthetic.

·
Registered
453 Posts
For some reason different cars like different oils.

Sometimes the car has to get broken in to the new oil. You may see some consumption at first that will slow or stop.

Very few oils are true Group IV or V oils. Most are a blend of different groups to attain certain performance standards and price marks.

This is not a bad thing as oils Like Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, Rotella T-6 and Castrol Edge are all very good oils.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did not have good experiences with RP, rougher idle and worse MPG. I try to stick with Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum, sometimes Valvoline synt. I wish Rotella made something with a 5W30 or 10W30 weight.
They do make Rotella T-6 in a 5w-40 you could run. Walmart has good price on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts