Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time to post and I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question; I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm in the wrong place.

2003 Taurus SES. I have done regular 3 month oil changes with Castrol 5W30 synthetic blend and Motocraft filter since purchasing the car in 2004 with 9000 miles on it. Now at 48,000+ miles I'm considering switching to either Castrol Synthec 5W30 or Motocraft Synthecic Blend 5W30. Is switching to a different oil going to do harm to the engine? Live and drive in Texas.

ldon

·
Registered
191 Posts
Seeing that you live in Texas, you should be able to safely run 10w-30 or even 10w-40 oil. Personally I think that synthetic blend is a waste of money. Either use full synthetic oil or use regular mineral oil. And I don't think that you should have any problems if you switch to full synthetic oil. But just to be sure, monitor your oil level. Also, changing oil every 3 month is a waste of oil and money. You should change your oil every six month or 5,000km. Just be sure to use Motorcraft filter and not Fram. Myself, I run synthetic for 10,000 km.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I suggest Mobil 1, Walmart sells it in 5qt jugs for around $24, or $28 for the extened life. I stick with 5w30 M1 extended life year round, unless they're out of 5w30 during the summer, I'll use 10w30. I wouldn't go with the 40 weight unless your having problems with blow-by. Full synthetic is much better than a blend, and the extended life synthetic is good for over 8k in miles. I change mine every 6-8k, even though I don't need to that often.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just use Motorcraft filter with the cheapest oil you can find, and change oil every 6000 miles. This is the formula I have been following on my 00 Tec, no engine problem whatsoever in almost 11 years and over 170K miles (knock on wood).

Synthetic blend or synthetic, or more frequent than 6K miles, you are just throwing money away.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Also, Castrol is not really a Synthetic at all. It achieved its synthetic rating by redefining synthetic to be a synthetic blend with more than a certain percentage of groupIII base stock. A true synthetic is made from either GroupIV or GroupV base stock. Synthetics like Castrol offer the lubriscosity of a true synthetic without the durability. That is, it is just as slippery as a synthetic, but when exposed to heat, oxygen, and sheer stress the oil breaks down and oxidizes. Castrol won't last much longer than regular oil. GroupIV synthetics on the other hand can run anywhere from 12,000 miles to 25,000 miles between oil changes because the oil doesn't oxidize easily, making it last far longer than regular oil.

I tend to agree for the most part about synthetic blends not being worth the extra money, except Motorcraft, which is an excellent value since it costs only slightly more than conventional oils, and less than some conventional oils. Myself, I use Royal Purple, which is a GroupIV base stock. It run 15,000 to 20,000 miles between oil changes. This has worked great for me, saves a bundle on oil changes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also, Castrol is not really a Synthetic at all. It achieved its synthetic rating by redefining synthetic to be a synthetic blend with more than a certain percentage of groupIII base stock. A true synthetic is made from either GroupIV or GroupV base stock. Synthetics like Castrol offer the lubriscosity of a true synthetic without the durability. That is, it is just as slippery as a synthetic, but when exposed to heat, oxygen, and sheer stress the oil breaks down and oxidizes. Castrol won't last much longer than regular oil. GroupIV synthetics on the other hand can run anywhere from 12,000 miles to 25,000 miles between oil changes because the oil doesn't oxidize easily, making it last far longer than regular oil.

I tend to agree for the most part about synthetic blends not being worth the extra money, except Motorcraft, which is an excellent value since it costs only slightly more than conventional oils, and less than some conventional oils. Myself, I use Royal Purple, which is a GroupIV base stock. It run 15,000 to 20,000 miles between oil changes. This has worked great for me, saves a bundle on oil changes.
I havent heard of royal purple being used in to many tauruses. How is royal purple running for you?

Also I recommend doing what most people have stated before which is change 6 months at the earliest on mineral oil or 1 year on a good synthetic. Blends are ok if your talking about the motorcraft blend for 13 bucks for 5qts at wal mart its a steal! Though right now im running M1 HM 5w 30.

In the end, Tauruses arent to harsh on oil; especially Vulcans. On a 3L vulcan as long as you use decent mineral oil like PYB on decent OCIs then you ll get 300k miles easy. Dont worry about 3months 3k miles. On todays engines 6 months 5k miles is easily possible if not a little low side.

Check out bobistheoilguy.com. The people over their have helped me learn about some of the stuff that khan is talking about like group III vs IV etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts