Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched several web forums(including this one), and repair manuals and I still can not figure out what the switch is for that is under the hood, Drivers Side, right by the battery. It appears that it gets made by closing (or opening) the hood, attached are a couple of pictures. Just curious as to what the heck this is for. It's on both of my Taurus. '96 & '97 LX. Please let me know

Attachments

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I believe it's part of the factory PATS (Passive Anti Theft System). It gets made (closed) when the hood opens, if your alarm is set, it sets off the alarm signal (your horn), same as with the doors. It appears you have 2 G3 LX's, they are usually loaded up with almost all options for that model/years: leather, premium sound, moonroofs, etc; almost always a PATS too. Your ignition key is also part of that system, don't lose it!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
+2 looks like the alarm system.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you have a keypad in the door handle, you will have the alarm system...and the under hood alarm sensor.

DOHC models and SHOs have the PATS system, Vulcans do not on Gen 3s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar switch on a Toyota Camry. Turns out it was part of the remote start system that came with the car when she bought it. Apparently, the remote start won't turn the engine on if the hood is open as part of a safety feature. Does your car have remote start by chance?

_erin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I don't believe it has a remote start, I could be wrong though, TCCA would know better than me. I think the above anwsers are correct, its part of the PATS alarm system, The rubber piece in the hood itself is punched through, it's real soft rubber. Is there a better replacment part for this? or how should I go about repairing it? I have no alarm issues and everythng seems to work ok, or do I even need this part?

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
^ Leave it be, find a replacement at a self-service salvage yard for cheap or simply just unplug it. No big deal.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^ Leave it be, find a replacement at a self-service salvage yard for cheap or simply just unplug it. No big deal.
It's not really broken, why fix it? You could probably repair the torn plunger boot with some black silicone built up in layers, but be sure it's good and cured before you close the hood on it. Removing it may disable the PATS, if that matters to you.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Unclipping the sensor just disables that particular sensor, all others will still work :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I thought PATS/ Key-less entry/alarms are all separate. BTW, My Ranger has PATS, push button O/D, and has a the Vulcan 3.0 :shrug:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't forget the 20mm rubber plug, part #N806457S, in the hood that goes along with the switch shown above in this thread. What happens is the rubber plug wears out and can't depress the switch, then the alarm will go off when set. These parts are hard to find now. I just purchased 3 of them for $3 plus shipping. [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts