Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the rear struts, on my '99 Sable, with Monroe Quick struts.
Thank you to all on this site for making it an uneventful and succesful 3 hour journey.
Both my Haynes manual and this site call for a rear sway bar with a link connecting to the strut.
The original struts didn't even have the ear to attach the swaybar link.
So I concluded that it was never there, then I found this.
Originally posted by Godspunk32
Ford did a lot of decontenting along the way. Most 99' cars don't have a rear swaybar, then they went to the Gen IV body style, started putting rear bars in, then around 2005, they started leaving them out again. If you don't have a rear sway bar, your struts will not have the ear to mount the endlink to, so you won't be able to add one unless you change the struts.
That being explained, would the handling be better if I installed the rear swaybar?
Thanks
Hound

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Should be good with up to a ~22mm bar. Older ATX shos are good for finding that size. Just don't go hod rodding the car after you get it. The car will handle differently, so you should get used to it, THEN go have (safe) fun. B)

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
My '99 did not have the sway bar and the OEM struts did not have the mount bracket. I found out when I went to install a 23mm rear sway bar. Handling performance is greatly improved with the rear sway bar.

As Mark suggests, I would not recommend anything larger than a 23mm rear bar without replacing the front. 19mm front and 23mm rear is a good combo for dry performance, however I have heard that it's a bit twitchy in the snow. My car exhibits slight off throttle oversteer, but otherwise very neutral and always predictable. The 24/26 combo is popular. It's very stiff but very neutral too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Somday when I need new struts I might upgrade, if I were to take that at speed, my bull will leave me out to pasture, upside down. GAP coverage! :banana:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.
I will start looking for a 22-23 mm swaybar.
Could someone point me to the part number cross reference guide.
Thanks again.
Hound

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found this page which gives me some info.
link
But I'm sure there are other models with the 21 or 23mm swaybar.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Actually for a while I ran the 19/26 and liked it, but we don't have snow here "normally". I'm sporting the 24/26 now and find that for normal usage it's too stiff. I would recommend the 22/23 if you want to use your car on the street as well as track.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Does 2mm really make a difference? There's a couple '94/'95 ATX SHO at Pick and Pull that I might look at. Do the endlinks and bushings need to be replaced with the rear swaybar?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
hound if you wait a couple months I will be changing out mine for the 24/26 combo and you can have my oems for the shipping charge .. pm me if you are interested....

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Does 2mm really make a difference? There's a couple '94/'95 ATX SHO at Pick and Pull that I might look at. Do the endlinks and bushings need to be replaced with the rear swaybar?
[/b]
Bump!

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The endlinks will not need to be replaced. The bushings ... bah. Autozone won't sell you the right size anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts