Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SE Vulcan @ 131,500
423 Posts
Walnut Creek, California?

I use Firestone as I bought a lifetime warranty. It's usually on sale for $180 and I go about every 3-6 months, or as needed. If you've had it aligned and the shop tells you there's a problem, that's something else. for my wagon (different rear suspension than sedans) I had to install cam bolts. $60 installed and it cured it.
Yes previous location, but the shop moved to Pleasant Hill 4 years ago. I live in Contra Costa County, San Leandro is a distance ( 25 miles ) away

I just checked out Firestone's official website and there's internet promo Lifetime Alignment $199.99. I will definitely call the nearest location next week. Thank you !

• Inspect steering and suspension system
    • Put vehicle on alignment rack, mount and compensate sensors
    • Adjust camber, caster, and toe angles
    • 12-month / 12,000-mile limited warranty
    • Road test vehicle
    • Print out initial alignment readings
    • Print out final alignment readings to verify alignment is within specification
  • In addition to everything offered in the Standard Alignment service:
    • Provide a Lifetime Warranty* on the alignment, which means we'll set alignment angles on your vehicle every 6,000 miles or whenever needed, free of charge, for as long as you own it.

See your auto advisor for complete terms and conditions of written limited warranties.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
416 Posts
I just checked out Firestone's official website and there's internet promo Lifetime Alignment $199.99. I will definitely call the nearest location next week. Thank you !
If you go and haven't found a coupon, ask if they have a special. I've had 4 friends locally go and every time it gets lowered $20 to $179.99.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes previous location, but the shop moved to Pleasant Hill 4 years ago. I live in Contra Costa County, San Leandro is a distance ( 25 miles ) away

• Inspect steering and suspension system
    • Put vehicle on alignment rack, mount and compensate sensors
    • Adjust camber, caster, and toe angles
    • 12-month / 12,000-mile limited warranty
    • Road test vehicle
    • Print out initial alignment readings
    • Print out final alignment readings to verify alignment is within specification
  • In addition to everything offered in the Standard Alignment service:
    • Provide a Lifetime Warranty* on the alignment, which means we'll set alignment angles on your vehicle every 6,000 miles or whenever needed, free of charge, for as long as you own it.

See your auto advisor for complete terms and conditions of written limited warranties.
Don't be surprised if they tell you it needs new struts and suspension parts before it can be aligned properly. That alignment service is their way of getting a car into the shop and basically sell other services.
If you go with the understanding that you'll be advised to replace a bunch of parts, than you'll be fine... If they even say it can be aligned.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't be surprised if they tell you it needs new struts and suspension parts before it can be aligned properly. That alignment service is their way of getting a car into the shop and basically sell other services.
If you go with the understanding that you'll be advised to replace a bunch of parts, than you'll be fine... If they even say it can be aligned.
I've never had them try to upsell me on parts around the alignment. Tires, often. Shocks, a few times.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is this Taurus SEL your daily commuter car ?

I am retired, drive my ♉ mostly around town 2-4 miles.
It's my only vehicle, but I don't commute. It's a low of maybe 40 miles a week, high of 200, probably average about 75.
99 Taurus SE wagon, DOHC motor, AX4N transmission, when I filled it today, about a mile before home, it was 151,913. I bought it in June 2018, when I lived in California. No rust. When I lived in California the usage was higher than after I moved in July 2019. The previous owner was told by the Ford stealership that it needed a transmission. I had dealt with the same issue on the one I was getting rid of (2001 Sable wagon) and fixed it with advice from here. It was a vehicle speed sensor (VSS). Since he didn't want to put a transmission into it, he kept up with the oil & filter stuff, but let other stuff go. Soon after I got it, I replaced:
--> Shocks --> Struts & springs --> All 4 brake discs --> Inner and outer tie rods --> Transmission fluid & filter --> VSS
When it came time to swap any fluids, I changed them to synthetic (except the transmission; I use Motorcraft which is semi-synthetic)
I've done and had done some other stuff (tint, speakers, sub {which deleted the 3rd row seat}, amps, bluetooth, wheels, inverter, USB sockets for charging). I'm designing a version 2.0 of a custom center console. I don't like how V1.0 came out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Soon after I got it, I replaced:

--> Shocks --> Struts & springs --> All 4 brake discs --> Inner and outer tie rods --> Transmission fluid & filter --> VSS
When it came time to swap any fluids, I changed them to synthetic (except the transmission; I use Motorcraft which is semi-synthetic)
I've done and had done some other stuff (tint, speakers, sub {which deleted the 3rd row seat}, amps, bluetooth, wheels, inverter, USB sockets for charging). I'm designing a version 2.0 of a custom center console. I don't like how V1.0 came out.
I dread the day I will have to replace shocks & struts/springs, these repairs are over $1,000 . I only want to keep this 2001 Taurus ( now @ 132,300 ) until 2025.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I dread the day I will have to replace shocks & struts/springs, these repairs are over $1,000 . I only want to keep this 2001 Taurus ( now @ 132,300 ) until 2025.
You need to find a mechanic with more fair prices. I did buy the parts and my mechanic just charged me labor, but if I recall correctly the total was less than $500. With the strut/spring combo unit (which I used0 the labor drops a bit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You need to find a mechanic with more fair prices.

I did buy the parts and my mechanic, just charged me labor.
The local mobile mechanic Entirely Toyota would only work on Toyota.

I had a mobile mechanic based in San Jose did the complete brake job ( front brake pads/rotors & rear wheel cylinders/brake shoes/drums/master cylinder fluid change plus transmission/power steering drain & fill + new filter ) on March 22, 2022 for $540 labor charge and I spent $320 for the parts & Motorcraft ATF fluid. I am having problem with him, because he subjected to his bizarre " dark side " and proportioned me. So I reported him to law enforcement ( emailed sexting screenshots to police sergeant & detective cop ) and posted 1 star Yelp review forewarned potential female clients beware he might " solicit $ex in exchange for his labor ".

·
Registered
416 Posts
The local mobile mechanic Entirely Toyota would only work on Toyota.

I had a mobile mechanic based in San Jose did the complete brake job ( front brake pads/rotors & rear wheel cylinders/brake shoes/drums/master cylinder fluid change plus transmission/power steering drain & fill + new filter ) on March 22, 2022 for $540 labor charge and I spent $320 for the parts & Motorcraft ATF fluid....
Maybe San Leandro isn't that far away. You can always give him a call. Tell him Mark with the Taurus wagon that moved east sent you. 510-352-3530. His name is Panico (Pan-E-co).

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Struts are not a hard job at all, many videos on how to do it. If you were closer you could come to my home garage and use my lift.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
I agree, don't break the pinch bolt. But other then that they aren't hard to change out.
The fronts are aluminum with a bolt and nut design. The indexing tab may be hard on top of the bolt and make it hard to remove. If in that case you can saw the index tab off at the top of the knuckle and it will fall out. As a wagon rears are not an issue. No strut. (on my 4th Bull wagon.)
-chart-

21 - 35 of 35 Posts