Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, y'all, I took my 2002 Taurus wagon to a repair shop about a knocking in the front right. They pulled the front left wheel and showed me that the bushing is worn out. They said that they would not do the work because the part is not available from their supplier and that the mounting bracket would have to be cut and welded because it isn't attached with bolts. I called another shop and they wouldn't touch it. When I called a suspension shop they said that they couldn't look for two weeks. I called some welding shops who will look at it.

I've been reading posts about this and can't get it figured out. Some posts suggest going to the yard and getting the brackets. Others say to buy a whole sway bar. I see the items available on line but there are bars, bushings, kits, brackets with bushings, brackets with bolts and some without bolts.

Can anyone help sort this out? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks so much

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SE Vulcan @ 131,500
423 Posts
Hey, y'all, I took my 2002 Taurus wagon to a repair shop about a knocking in the front right. They pulled the front left wheel and showed me that the bushing is worn out. They said that they would not do the work because the part is not available from their supplier and that the mounting bracket would have to be cut and welded because it isn't attached with bolts. I called another shop and they wouldn't touch it. When I called a suspension shop they said that they couldn't look for two weeks. I called some welding shops who will look at it.
I was in disbelief last March 2021 when service advisor @ local Ford stealership told me " Ford do not make parts after 10 years ..... " . There are auto repair shops would NOT work on older Ford vehicles.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Someone here has a collection of wagons, he'll be along to help. What size, vehicle interchangeability, bracket removal and new bracket source, he's a black hole of wagon info.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was in disbelief last March 2021 when service advisor @ local Ford stealership told me " Ford do not make parts after 10 years ..... " . There are auto repair shops would NOT work on older Ford vehicles.
They are out there, depends on what area you are in. You can always get the part number and try some of the online ford parts guys, like Tasca ford.

·
Registered
423 Posts
They are out there, depends on what area you are in. You can always get the part number and try some of the online ford parts guys.
I've contacted jk within 50-miles radius, NOT one location has dismantled parts for ♉ or Ford models ( Focus F-150 ) older than 2010.

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
771 Posts
Someone here has a collection of wagons, he'll be along to help. What size, vehicle interchangeability, bracket removal and new bracket source, he's a black hole of wagon info.
That someone is of course our esteemed member chart. But the front suspension of a wagon is not different from a sedan. Right chart?

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
771 Posts
Hey, y'all, I took my 2002 Taurus wagon to a repair shop about a knocking in the front right. They pulled the front left wheel and showed me that the bushing is worn out.
What does it sound like and when do you hear it exactly? Which bushing on the left is supposed to cause a knocking sound on the right? The left stabilizer bar bushing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the knock is a rattle and pop. It is a mid-range to low-range sound, not upper pitch. It happens when just rolling down the street and smaller bumps. Big bumps, depressions don't make a bigger noise. I was able to change the sway bar links a couple of years ago and that stopped that noise. Could those links need changing again?
I'm sure grateful for you help on this.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
416 Posts
Well, the knock is a rattle and pop. It is a mid-range to low-range sound, not upper pitch. It happens when just rolling down the street and smaller bumps. Big bumps, depressions don't make a bigger noise. I was able to change the sway bar links a couple of years ago and that stopped that noise. Could those links need changing again?
I'm sure grateful for you help on this.
It very well could be. When you first get into the car after it's been sitting, does it give a little resistance when you turn the wheel, then feel like it gets easier? Maybe makes a sound?

The way you describe the big bumps vs smaller bumps (no change in noise) makes me think more of the outer tie rod ends. That said, I'm no mechanic and like many of us, I know there are much more knowledgeable people using these forums (like @chartmaker .)

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
771 Posts
Well, the knock is a rattle and pop. It is a mid-range to low-range sound, not upper pitch. It happens when just rolling down the street and smaller bumps. Big bumps, depressions don't make a bigger noise.
Could also be a worn-out ball-joint. You could check the dust boot to see whether is is cracked or otherwise damaged. In that case the ball-joint might be out of grease and worn.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, here you go: I took the car to the all-around good mechanic. He said that he put it on the lift and checked everything for $67.50. "It's the struts," he said. Since I had lifetime struts at another place, I took it there. "The struts are fine. It is the swaybar bushings but the brackets are welded not bolted. The brackets need to be cut off, the bushings replaced and new brackets welded. We can't get the parts. Good bye." I called welding shops. One wanted pictures. I'm not taking the thing apart for pictures. I took it to the best front end shop around and for $25 they looked at it. "It was a loose swaybar link. We tightened it. No charge." The car rides quietly and smoothly. I sure hope that it stays that way. I want to call the first shop, tell them that they were wrong and ask for my money back. Thank for all the feedback, William

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, we have to be extra caution in dealing with various auto shops, weed out the bad ones.

Mechanics are NOT competently equal and most auto repair shops are crooked to get free diagnosis money and rip you off on phony repairs. Jeff/owner & master-mechanic @ Walnut Creek Automotive one time bluntly said this to me " shops/mechanics SCARE you to get repair work " and this one mobile mechanic Bill ( who only works on Toyota ) always uses the word " fraudulent " in reference to auto shops recommend replace parts not need replacing to get MORE $ .

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ace Auto Repair & Tire replaced my 2001 Taurus lower right ball joint & inner tie rod in April 2021 because " snapping " noise on right turns. But the mechanic messed up my wheel alignment. After that day, I can't park my car straight since because the rear pass side wheel is crooked/tilt to the left.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I took it to the best front end shop around and for $25 they looked at it. "It was a loose sway bar link. We tightened it. No charge." The car rides quietly and smoothly. I sure hope that it stays that way. I want to call the first shop, tell them that they were wrong and ask for my money back.
I am looking for that one good person mechanic or honest shop for my car's current problem, sometimes hear " single clacking/clicking " on soft braking to slow the car ( began 2 weeks after the complete front & rear brake job on March 22 2022 ) and hear it when I take the foot off the brake pedal ( started 3 weeks ago ).

It might be simple as yours, something LOOSE to be tightened, But, need to know what

I found one online article indicates 2 of 10 possibilities for " clacking " noise when braking, anti-rattling springs or front suspension issue.

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
771 Posts
It might be simple as yours, something LOOSE to be tightened, But, need to know what
Did you already check the front bolts of the control arms? The passenger side control arm looks like this:
Bicycle part Tool Bicycle drivetrain part Auto part Composite material

The bushing at the upper right is attached to the subframe near the radiator. I think the bolt is 18 mm and the nut underneath the car is 21 mm.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Did you already check the front bolts of the control arms? The passenger side control arm looks like this:
View attachment 220511
The bushing at the upper right is attached to the subframe near the radiator. I think the bolt is 18 mm and the nut underneath the car is 21 mm.
Not yet, plan to take my car to Jeff @ Walnut Creek Automotive next Monday and ask if he can get a mechanic inspect the bolts & other front suspension bushings. So far, he has not charged me a penny ( even though he refused to work on my car because we got off on the wrong foot on my first visit to his shop back in late December 2021 ).

My 1 other best option is talk to Chris @ Diablo Auto Care about the " noises ". BTW, my car was in his shop for 2 days/June 7-8 and FIXED the oil leak & smoke from exhaust problems. It's family-owned shop did honest repair work on my 2001 Taurus. His dad gave me a lift home on the morning I dropped off my car there.

NO more exhaust smell
NO more oil burning smell
NO more smoke from under hood
NO more loud humming/moaning/growling " noise " when I start the car in the evenings ( due to a NEW Motorcraft water pump PW505 installed at my request ).

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
416 Posts
Not yet, plan to take my car to Jeff @ Walnut Creek Automotive ....
Walnut Creek, California?

In San Leandro, not even a mile off the Marina exit from 880, you can find Panico's Auto. A lot of times his shop is a mess but he's the most knowledgeable, honest, and fair mechanic I found during the 22+ years I lived in the area.

Also, if you haven't already done so, after steering or lots of other work, you need to have the vehicle re-aligned. I use Firestone as I bought a lifetime warranty. It's usually on sale for $180 and I go about every 3-6 months, or as needed. If you've had it aligned and the shop tells you there's a problem, that's something else. for my wagon (different rear suspension than sedans) I had to install cam bolts. $60 installed and it cured it.

Reactions: Stephii
1 - 20 of 35 Posts