Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys as you know i put a very large hole in my gas tank a month ago and i just got it out today. i was hoping it would be the 18 gallon tank but is only a 16... i would really like to put an 18 gallon tank in and was wondering if anyone had done this swap before or had any info on it. i went to napa to see if the pump/sending unit were the same and for what years and they told me that they could get either the 16 or 18 gallon pumps but they were only for the 2000 year and the only replacement tank they can get is the 18 gallon tank. i am planning on using used parts and i know where there is an 03 taurus in a junkyard that should have an 18 gallon tank in it. i have a gauge cluster out of an 03 so that is already set up for an 18 gallon tank.

i guess what i really need to know is are the connectors the same between the two and will everything function properly. i am probably going to head to that junkyard to get some evap lines out of a gen 3 so my exhaust doesnt touch them. but i would have to have them lift the 03 up for me and that would be a pain so i was hoping you guys could help me thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have all of the fuel lines, evap lines, and emission canister from a gen 3. Also have a tank but don't know the capacity off hand. I have heard that the 2000 is a sort of hybrid of the gen3 and gen4. Let me know if you need anything.

benny

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are pics of my tank along with the routings of the lines and wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i been searching pretty much all night and not exactly sure where to look... i tried ebay but none of the auctions had very good pictures of the actual parts... i am going to a fairly large junk yard tomorrow to pick up a tranny for my contour so i am going to see if they have anything pulled from a car that i can compare to the pics i took. will keep you guys updated. i really want this to work.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/site/823208/product/F-F39G

well judging by the pic they provide here the tank will fit and all my evep stuff will work fine, 2 holes just like mine. the only thing i am worried about is if the connectors on the pump will match up and if everything will work ok and it wont confuse the computer or anything?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well lookin at the pic again it looks exactly identicle to the one that came out of my car...

ok so all 03's for sure came with 18 gallon tanks right? cause i think i am just going to go drop the tank out of one at a yard and check out the differences with my own eyes instead of guessing if the pics online are right or not and it seems this info is not really all that readilly available.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Bummer, I thought it should be 18 gal tank, mine came with the 18 gal tank standard, it's a '07. So it must be the gen 4.5 Taurus that had them standard, but that would be '04 up Taurus'. Mine appears to be a plastic tank instead of metal, though, hope it's just plug and play without any mods. With the 18 gal tank, you should be able to drive 400+ hwy miles before needing to fill up- I can.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far as i know it was 2003 up that got 18 gallon tank standard. i should be able to get about 300 miles to a tank with my car... i was getting about 260 to a tank ending right after when the gas light would light, which was about 12 gallons normally

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Any 01+ Taurus/Sable from the factory has a 18 gallon gas tank guaranteed unless someone replaced it with a 16.

2000 Flex Fuel Vulcans had 18 gallon standard as opposed to 16 gallon in non FFV models.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (BetterDays @ Jun 9 2009, 04:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731123
Never run it below 1/4 tank.

Don't worry about miles per tank....[/b]
why? durring the winter no but if you are commuting to/from work or school and know your car and where the gas stations are i wouldnt worry about it

ok thanks nick! at least now i know what i need to be looking for!
so why couldnt my car be an 01 lol they seem to be so much better... oh well. right now unless i pop the hood (COP) i dont think anybody would be able to tell what year my car is anyway

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well made a trip to the junkyard and got the tranny for my contour and asked to see the fuel pump out of a 2001 taurus they showed me one it had the same connector as mine so thats good but it has two fuel line "nipples" but i swear i saw a pic on ebay from an 03 that only had one just like mine, i would have asked but they were busy and i didnt want to bother them they kept trying to sell me a tank so i figured it was time to get out of there

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (dark_fire @ Jun 9 2009, 07:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731235
2 for return fuel system, 1 for returnless.[/b]
yup thats what i figured idk do any newer (02 or 03 ) not have a return line also depending on the engine cause they only had gas or ffv on there list maybe it was from a vulcan?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731145

why? durring the winter no but if you are commuting to/from work or school and know your car and where the gas stations are i wouldnt worry about it
[/b][/quote]

The gas in the tank keeps the fuel pump cool. That's why the low gas light comes on prematurely.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahh i see well i never drive further then 30 miles after the light turns on.

i think i am going to see if i can find an 18 gallon tank and measure it from the top of the pump hole to the bottom and see how it compaires to my 16 gallon tank depending on where the extra capacity was added it may work with my original pump if the depth is the same

any thoughts on this theory?

·
Registered
340 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 10 2009, 12:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731285

[/b][/quote]

The gas in the tank keeps the fuel pump cool. That's why the low gas light comes on prematurely.
[/b][/quote]

Not only that, but traffic jams, emergencies, etc.

Nothing like an emergency trip across town and some dumbass needs to fill up to make the trip since the low fuel light is on.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (BetterDays @ Jun 10 2009, 07:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731481

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Nothing like an emergency trip across town and some dumbass needs to fill up to make the trip since the low fuel light is on.
[/b][/quote]

no traffic jams here pretty rural... also since my town is only like a mile long in any direction there isnt very far to go in case of an emergency..

i dont go far after the light turns on but if it turns on 20 miles from home i will still make the trip its only 1 gallon of gas and its not going to hurt anything too much besides the tank isnt too hard to drop and i can get a used pump for like 30 bucks

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 11 2009, 01:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731537
QUOTE (BetterDays @ Jun 10 2009, 07:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731481

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

no traffic jams here pretty rural... also since my town is only like a mile long in any direction there isnt very far to go in case of an emergency..

i dont go far after the light turns on but if it turns on 20 miles from home i will still make the trip its only 1 gallon of gas and its not going to hurt anything too much besides the tank isnt too hard to drop and i can get a used pump for like 30 bucks
[/b][/quote]

yea, on a full (16 gal) i usualyl average 320 miles if its all city driving, so around 310 miles ill start looking for a gas station, and usually put 15.5 gallons in, haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts