Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the whole speedo swap thing has been covered million of times but is it possible to swap in just the tach. I really dont want to get a whole cluster and deal with the whole milage adjustment thing. I tryed searching and didnt find anything exactly. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
No because the Taurus SLO cluster is a different layout than the Sable/SHO cluster. See in the picture below the hole for the guage is bigger for the cluster w/ tach and the idiot lights are all in a strip below the extra clusters.

http://198.165.58.61/revo/member/qwerty/BullID/G2/Cluster.jpg' alt='' width='800' height='320' class='attach' />[/url]

BUT... the good news is you can just get the Sable/SHO cluster and pop that in and still use your original speedometer because that's swapable between clusters.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i swap the speedo only, is everything else just plug so i dont have to go wire hunting or is it gonna have to be rigged? thanks for the pics btw, they make sense now

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yes both non-tach and tach clusters use the same wiring harness that plugs into the back. It truly is "plug-and-play".

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweetness, ill have to give it a try when i get some more $$$$$. thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
Okay... just a note, swapping clusters in a Gen2 is not just a plug and play experience... I've spent 3 hours, and now have 2 non-functional speedos, and I was playing nicely... nothing came out easily, so I had to jam my hands into awkward places to try and unclip things, and now neither of my speedos gauges will zero out properly, or even work...

So, who's got an idea what the hell I should do to fix this???

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Don't feel bad. It took me 7 hours and 3 times taking the dash apart and put it back together.

I sent a PM to someone about how to fix the speedometer, but I didn't archive it. Anways, it's not easy. You have to drive around with the dash open. Find one of those speed machines that the cops put out to display your speed. Drive by it and then pull over. Hold on to the weight behind the speedo and twist the needle. Then drive by the machine again and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
959 Posts
okay... since I saved the old speedo, and someone pointed out the walkthrough article in the other thread about SHO clusters, I was able to pop the speedo needle, unbolt the GL odometer assembly, then bolt it onto the SHO speedo plate.

No, I'm gonna go repaint the bezel plate, or backer plate, or whatever you call it. Someone thought it would look 'cute' in baby blue.

*ralphing into a leftover MacDonalds take-out bag*

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I just did the same thing you did but only with the black cover the plastic piece to keep all the stuff intact here is a semi finished product the previous owner did the same thing you did painted it black and i didnt like it so here it is....

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm going to pick up a bunch of my new interior today, so I'm just gonna leave the bezel glossy black until I've got the interior done... I'm going with a black SHO interior, so once that's done, I'll have a chance to add some silver interior accents...

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
i edited my picture that is the final coat and clear coat is going on tomorrow.....SO it will be done....yay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts