Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Dimeblade recently and i love the feel, the looks, and i like the overall sound. I just dont love it. I'm looking for a different sound and i have no problem researching and finding a humbucker to suit me. I get the general idea of how to do it, but im not entirely sure. I know i can take it to a guitar shop, but i would also love to see the inner working of my guitar. From what i gather you have to solder the new humbuckers wiring onto the pots after pulling the other wires off. It's only a single volume control guitar so i dont have to worry about having volume for all 6 strings.

so anyone here with experience in modifying guitars?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'd try out a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon. I really like the sound of those things, but you really need to tailor the sound to the type of music you play. If you're a lead player, a humbucker probably isn't for you. If you do a lot of palm muting, then it probably is.

In any case, pickups are really easy to replace. The new pickup will come with instructions, and the wires should be color coded or have a notation as to which is pos and which is neg. Unscrew the old on, remove the pot, desolder the old wires from the pot, remove the pickup, installation is reverse of removal.

JR

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tailoring to the type of music i like is the main reason for swapping humbuckers. To tell the truth i was gravitating towards Seymour Duncan's but i havent decided on a specific unit yet.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
if you are playin leads, a humbucker is the way to go. A single coil doesnt cut through the mix as well as a humbucker. If that was the case, there would be lots of les pauls with single coils instead. and remember, van halen jammed a les paul humbucker into a strat....he plays leads.. ha ha
anyways, i would suggest a Dimarzio X2N humbucker. It a big heavy ceramic magnet. Depending on the music though....Its great for metal. Not a bad price either. Of course they are potted so theres no squealing when you have a lot of gain going.
but, really it up to the music. with that guitar, though it looks like you are a metal guy.
Whichever pick up you get, it might have a few more wires than the stock one, so just pay attention to which wires need to be combined, and make sure you dont wire it out of phase.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
"The Dean From Hell" FTW!!!

Don't know much about guitars, but Dimebag was a great artist.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Dean From Hell is actually black and blue. The one of the cover of Cowboys From Hell.

This is a lower end guitar but i believe its basically the same lightning. It is the same style guitar though. This is Dimebags tribute guitar the Dimeblade.

I didnt ask about swapping a single coil for a humbucker. I'm not positive if godspunk gets that. I'm just interested in changing out my humbucker for a different one. From what i gather a lot of guys swap out their single coils for humbuckers.

I know the amp, strings, and numerous other things affect sound, but I want to start with the humbucker. I have a 15 watt Crate amp with a 12 inch speaker and 24k gold contact monster cable connecting the gadgets.

thats my whole setup...its pretty nice for what i spent.

Thanks for the advice though guys!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
well i cant speak for him, but some people say that single coils are better for solos....it really depends on the music, but Dimebag didnt have SC pickups.
switchin to humbuckers from single coil can be a pain. gotta get out the router and junk. ha ha. i had a telecaster 'special" that came with a hum in the neck and single coil in the bridge. horribly unbalanced tone. i was gonna switch out to a full size humbucker, but that would require a new bridge, routing out the hole...blah. i went with a stacked seymour duncan. the easy way out. ha ha.

anyway, look over these...

Dimarzio X2N

Seymour Duncan Invader

forgot to mention..with the X2N you can split the coils and have it operate as a single coil if you want. i have an ibanez RG with one in the neck and one in the bridge. they are wired to a 5 way switch so that the in between positions (2 and 4) only use one coil from each pickup. dunno if the invader offers that, but i cant imagine why it wouldnt....

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Oh, I get what you're asking, I'm just giving you my opinion. I've never liked the sound of humbuckers, and I can't stand Les Paul's.

I've been playing guitar for...oh, 13 years. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Single coil pickups are the best for many styles of music, but like I said, if you're palm muting and playing a lot of heavy Pantera type stuff, which I'm sure you are because of the guitar you chose, a humbucker will be good for you. I have an Ibanez electric, with dual humbuckers, and I've been meaning to swap the pickups out for a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat single-coil bridge pickup and a Dimarzio Hot PAF pickup in the neck position. That way, I can put in a 5 way switch, play through both, just the bridge, just the neck (combined), just the neck (split, top), and just the neck (split, bottom). Single coils are the way to go, IMHO.

JR

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
no one said you didnt know what you were talkin about. :dunno:

what type of stuff do you play? not what do you listen to, but what do you play? ive been playing since i was 15 so that adds up to 16 years since we're counting... :D

when i started nirvana was the rage, but that quickly got old. i branched out into soundgarde and pearl jam which opened the door to hendrix and that type of stuff. (GREAT for single coils btw.) then it progressed into helmet, staind, godsmack, korn, papa roach and other corny stuff. the only great thing about that era to me was the popularization of the seven string guitars. once i studied staind and how he tuned, that was all i would use. he used a baritone tuned down to A. It was easy to transpose that to a 7 string. you would wind up tuned to A D A D G B E. that way you could cover everything from korn to hendrix without switching guitars.....
i wound up buying an RG7620 that came with some muddy-ass "dimarzio" stockers. i switched them out to the evolution 7 string pickups. WORLD of difference.

i babble.. :rolleyes2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts