Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My names Bobby. I am new to this forum so Howdy yall!

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 V6 OHV engine in it that has 211k miles on it. since ive had it, I have taken good care of it. right now gas mileage is horrible bc there are 2 CO sensors out on it. I am about to take a job off from here on a surface mine site in which im going to need a reliable car to get back and forth. Im not gonna depend on this one too much longer especially driving an hour there and an hour back.

I have a 93 Ford Taurus That has the same engine 3.0 V6 the title is bad on this one but the engine runs like a new one. Cold AC and only 120k miles on it, just needs a little TLC. I am curious if all of this will switch over to the 1999 Taurus. If the ac will switch over fairly easy thats awesome ill take it but if its gonna be a hassle I can just swap engines and leave the windows down. Will these engines match up to where I can swap them out? Id think they would but I honestly do not know. if anyone knows this and can help me out here, I really appreciate it. Thanks! :D Look forward to chattin with ya!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well the heads and the block are the same, and the placement for where the distributor goes versus a syncronizer is the same location. You'll have sensors, pulleys, etc (OBDII versus OBDI) that either are different in shape or location. a guy named rudedog put a 2007 engine in his 93. The subframes are different, so are the exhaust routings. So you'd need to use the exhaust manifolds and mounts from the 99 on the 93's engine.

Just some things that came to mind.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What? Just replace the 02 sensors! Take them off the old car if you need to.

You'll need to take all the sensors off the '99, including the CPS that's in the location of your '93's distributor. You'll need the intake and exhaust manifolds, too. Put all that onto the '93 motor, then put the '93 in place. Take pictures to figure out how the engine harness goes back into place.

The A/C is a seperate system. If you take any of it apart, you'll vent the gas that makes it cold. If you can find out why your '99 doesn't have A/C, then you can salvage the broken parts off your '93. I *think* they're similar, if not the same.

Engine swaps are a lot of work. You'll need to replace the 02 sensors anyway, otherwise your new engine will run like junk too. So do that first, and see if the old engine runs any better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What he didnt mention was that the older 3.0 with distributor doesnt have a CKP (crankshaft position) sensor mounting location. You will need to swap timing covers and swap on a crank damper that has a CKP trigger wheel on it. The CMP sensor (camshaft position) is mounted on the camshaft syncronizer assembly and will require proper alignment. Good luck and hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts