Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone:

I have an '05 SE that got damaged in an accident.

In looking around for parts I need, I stumbled across an '05 SEL that was wrecked in the rear.

I'll probably buy this for the parts I need, and I was thinking about how hard it would be to integrate some of the SEL options like disc changer, auto lights, puddle lamps, white face gauges and that type thing into my SE before parting the SEL out and selling what I can't use.

Would anyone have an idea?

Thank you...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
A lot of the items will be plug n play (or require very very light modification).

If the SEL does have autolamps, don't bother. Hassle...much like the EATC, don't bother with that.

However, grab the puddle lamp mirrors, gauge cluster, CD changer, seats, etc. Those items are all pretty much plug and play. Get the sunvisors too...homelink visor w/lighted vanity mirrors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The autolamps are a worthwhile feature but make sure you pull the correct wires (headlight wires to driver's firewall, sensor in middle of dash with the panel to driver's fire wall. I did that but the dash was detached at the salvage yard, making the job much easier to extract.

The CD Changer is a plug and play into the rear control unit - there is an open port for it all all models.

Good luck.

Does anyone know about the outside temperature feature? Is it the sensor and the wiring to the instrument panel connector that provides the readout in the message center?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (Taurus90Taurus05 @ Aug 24 2009, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748519
Does anyone know about the outside temperature feature? Is it the sensor and the wiring to the instrument panel connector that provides the readout in the message center?[/b]
Linky

That's a pretty loaded question. Follow the link above to see what's been discovered in regard to adding on the compass and/or outside temperature readouts. Not as easy to do as you might think.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Everything you listed is pretty much bolt-in. For the white-face gauges, swap just the faces - it's a plastic sheet that sits on top of the gauges themselves, and you'll keep your mileage.

You should already have wiring for the puddle lamp mirrors, and I'd expect the wiring to be there for lighted visors too. I'd snag the double visors out of an earlier car...they are almost my favorite feature, and I miss them in every car I drive that doesn't have them.

If it were my car, I don't think I'd bother with the autolamp feature...but that's just me since I'm used to turning the lights on and off manually. Keep in mind this is coming from the guy who doesn't really like auto dimming rear view mirrors either, so your mileage may vary :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Tyler, grab the wiring harness in the headliner if you want those lighted visor mirrors.....
Sorry Jim, there's no harness in place on the SE models. :)

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Grab the heated mirror glass too. You should be prewired fore it. It would be trivial to add.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ Aug 24 2009, 09:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748677
Grab the heated mirror glass too. You should be prewired fore it. It would be trivial to add.[/b]
:werd: I think they all were wired for that - it turns on with the rear defrost.

Sorry Jim, there's no harness in place on the SE models.[/b]
Even for the puddle lamps? Or just for the visors?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Puddle lamps and heated mirrors are pre-wired on the 2005...but the puddle lamps won't function if you lack remote keyless entry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Puddle lamps and heated mirrors are pre-wired on the 2005...but the puddle lamps won't function if you lack remote keyless entry.
Thank you Bull Geek for that information. I just got a 2005 Taurus SE and wanted to add the puddle lamps, and heated mirrors on mine. I can get them from Parts Train through Amazon.com for under 40.00 each and with the caps to paint.

Ford parts dudes said that they didn't think that the wiring was there for the car, but for the price just figure that I would buy them anyways and take my chances.

Thanks again for the confirmation, since the wiring is there, the plugs should mate up.

(I do have keyless entry with illuminated entry).

Also going to add an Ipod Interface to my tuner in the trunk via the changer port. I have several brands out there that I am looking at, can you recommend any from others ????

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again for help

My 2005 Taurus SE is coming along nicely. I have the new heated mirrors with puddle lights installed, painted the caps myself, wow that was SO easy.

Next is the Ipod Connection kit that you recommended. On order now. The company is actually based here in seattle, and have free shipping.

Next homelink visors, or dimming rear view mirror with homelink, custom painted spoiler, some touch up and she is ready for summer.

Added a shorty antenna on the back, looks great until I decide if I want to install a power antenna from ebay, or wrecking yard.

Also adding courtesy floor lighting...

Thanks guys for all your information and assistance..

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I agree with those who said don't bother with Autolamps. I have them on my SEL and do not use them. I tried them...just don't use them.

·
Banned
323 Posts
I also have the auto-lamp feature on my '97 LX and my '07 Edge. Don't use it at all. I like to get all the options, but never use a lot of 'em. Just like the rear wiper on the Edge and my Caravan...I've never used it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts