Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 96 sable with a axod in it...and a 97 tarus with a ax4n in it...

i noticed the axod was shoter then the ax4n that came out of the 97..but i bolted it all up an what not.

now im reading on place i cant use that axod i put in it (not completely in yet)

so is it possible to use it at all?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, first off, the AXOD is a downgrade. It is a weaker transmission. Second off, I can see lots of other issues with that swap beyond simple fit. You would need a different catalytic converter, or at least have your old one modified. Why not fix you AX4N, it is a better transmission anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (KhanTyranitar @ Jun 2 2010, 09:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808689
Ok, first off, the AXOD is a downgrade. It is a weaker transmission. Second off, I can see lots of other issues with that swap beyond simple fit. You would need a different catalytic converter, or at least have your old one modified. Why not fix you AX4N, it is a better transmission anyway.[/b]

well one its not my car...im gettin paid to do it...ive got it all bolted up now...he wants somethin to drive...

i just need to know whats not gonna work...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Well, there are numberous electronics that may not work, some connectors that may not work. The transmissions are similar, but different inside and outside. The computer is designed and calibrated for an AX4N. In my opinion, I would say get an AX4N and swap it in if rebuilding the old trans isn't an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (KhanTyranitar @ Jun 2 2010, 10:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808695
Well, there are numberous electronics that may not work, some connectors that may not work. The transmissions are similar, but different inside and outside. The computer is designed and calibrated for an AX4N. In my opinion, I would say get an AX4N and swap it in if rebuilding the old trans isn't an option.[/b]

the guy is disabled an he got a complete donor car with a bad motor...

is it possible to swap ecu and the harness? to make it work right

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (fast_five_oh @ Jun 2 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808696
Well, there are numberous electronics that may not work, some connectors that may not work. The transmissions are similar, but different inside and outside. The computer is designed and calibrated for an AX4N. In my opinion, I would say get an AX4N and swap it in if rebuilding the old trans isn't an option.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

You would need the ECU and harness to make it work right, but there are differences between '96 and '97 engine-wise, so you'd have to track down the wiring changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 2 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808717
QUOTE (fast_five_oh @ Jun 2 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808696

[/b][/quote]

You would need the ECU and harness to make it work right, but there are differences between '96 and '97 engine-wise, so you'd have to track down the wiring changes.
[/b][/quote]

ok is there somewhere i can find it all?

·
Registered
671 Posts
IIRC, the AC and OBDII wires were switched, I'm not sure about tranny-side, though. Maybe contact Ford and get the PCM wiring diagrams for each?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Palach @ Jun 2 2010, 12:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808730
IIRC, the AC and OBDII wires were switched, I'm not sure about tranny-side, though. Maybe contact Ford and get the PCM wiring diagrams for each?[/b]

k ill try that...also the only different thing on the outside of the tranny is where the spedo gear is on the axod...

the white plug, the black one by the shifter an the other ones plug right up...but i assume that dont mean it works right?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
my dad did this exact swap and he needed the tranny the mounting bracket on the passengers side, axles, and a pcm from the same year as the car with the same engine and trans that are now in it. so if its going into a 97 i would find a 97 pcm with the vulcan and ax4s. other than that im not sure what else was needed this was about 3 years and over 60k miles ago and the car is still going strong without any problems

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (fast_five_oh @ Jun 2 2010, 08:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808659
ok i have a 96 sable with a axod in it...and a 97 Taurus with a ax4n in it...

i noticed the axod was shorter then the ax4n that came out of the 97..but i bolted it all up an what not.

now im reading on place i cant use that axod i put in it (not completely in yet)

so is it possible to use it at all?[/b]
First off, its NOT an AXOD, its an AX4S, which evolved from the AXODE. AXOD was not a electronically
shifted trannie, it was all hydraulic. The electronically shifted versions are derived from the AXOD.
(first electrical version AXODE)

To use the AX4S in place of the AX4N, your going to have to use the half shafts from the AX4S and one
of the motor mounts. and change the cats. And if you have anitlock brakes, the half-shafts are going to
have to have the antilock gear on them or you will have to get different ones.

The wiring side is where it gets dicey. You can read my post posts of a 96 into 97 Vulcan swap.
The easiest way i see to do this is find a 97 in the junkyard with the same motor and trannie(AX4S Vin code L)
Also, same feature set such as anti lock/ pats. Still not 100% sure on that also, but if its the same features
that will guarantee you will have less problems.

The 96 and 97 PCMs are about 97% similar, but NOT the same. At one time i pinned out both of them
and compared. there are a few things such as canister vent and something else that was different.
Currently, i have a 96 PCM in my 97 so i know it will run, but its NOT 100% kosher.
But it was AX4N to AX4N. (had some weird O2 sensor codes on my old 97 PCM)

I think (not 100% sure on this one) that you could leave the 97 harnesses alone if you do this.
There is a different shift order for the trannie solenoids from ax4s to ax4n, but i THINK the wiring
is the same. I would try to confirm this before doing it.

If you Frankenstein the harness, you will run into issues with the AC clutch ground and OBD2 connectors.
It took me MONTHS to figure that whole mess about.

I got a Ford factory Multi year manual DVD off of eBay and printed off the diagrams for the different years
and compared to find out my information. Its not a straight forward process and it will take you
a LONG time to get it all figured out if at all. If you don't understand electrical schematics your toast before
you start.

Personally, i would just find a used AX4N, put it in and call it a day. The days of just throwing a part in
because it looks like it will fit are over. Do your research or pay the price. Your saving NO money
(or making it) if you cannot get it to work right

Good luck

bob

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
we did not change out any of the exhaust i am pretty sure...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 4 2010, 03:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809211
we did not change out any of the exhaust i am pretty sure...[/b]
The AX4N and AS4S are different lengths. that's why the half shafts are different.
that may cause the cat y pipe bracket mount to be different

bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts