Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you are going to switch why wouldn't you just put on discs?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well forone,,wagons do... have drums,they r wider, too much time trouble n money to swap disc on the rear for me,have to replace drums n shoes anyway,,mite as well buy sw drums shoes and get lil better stopping..was wondering if anyone has done this on a sedan b4..i assume the drum center r they same,,just bit wider drum,shoe. u sure they r bigger dia..last time i matched up a set looked wider not taller? yea crap,,they r inch taller..not wider... well that shoots down that idea..lol..not gonna replace the backing plates,,for an inch more brake,,mite as well do the disc conv. for all that trouble..o well it was a thought..

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
According to my owners manual, which talks all about the standard features, the station wagon Taurus' in 1996 only came with disk brakes, not drums. The reason is the extra weight of the wagon plus the extra weight of what you might fit in a wagon justifies having better rear brakes. You may as well swap to disk brakes, they do work much better than drums, especially if you have to use them a lot, plus they are easier to replace.

That being said, I do know my owners manual is wrong on some of the options, the Taurus is a car of many exceptions.

·
Registered
671 Posts
According to my owners manual, which talks all about the standard features, the station wagon Taurus' in 1996 only came with disk brakes, not drums. The reason is the extra weight of the wagon plus the extra weight of what you might fit in a wagon justifies having better rear brakes. You may as well swap to disk brakes, they do work much better than drums, especially if you have to use them a lot, plus they are easier to replace.

That being said, I do know my owners manual is wrong on some of the options, the Taurus is a car of many exceptions.
I think they wrote the manuals on the Friday of a long weekend...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts