Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Two weeks ago, I hit a BIG deer with my '99 Taurus. The deer was struck by a truck in the travel lane which spun it in front of my car in the passing lane. I ran it over at ~60 mph. In addition to the body damage, the car has a pronounced shimmy and doesnt track correctly.

I refused to accept the car back from the body shop until the shimmy was fixed. So far, the shop has done the following:
-balanced the front tires
-checked the alignment
-replaced the right front strut which they said was bent.

I have always believed in replacing struts in pairs. The body shop and insurance company both said that it is a common practice to replace a single strut after collisions.

My question is this: Can anybody point me towards a Ford service policy that states whether struts should be replaced in pairs.

Thanks,
Wheelman99

B

·
0 Posts
I don't have any technical info from Ford that says you should replace them in pairs, but it's not common practice to replace only one, unless the other is almost new.

I have a few thoughts though.

- You mentioned they balanced the tires, but it is possible that they were damaged in the accident (broken belt, etc.) and may need replacement. Have they tried swapping the rears to the front to see if it makes a difference? Does the car shimmy all the time, or only certain times? If only certain times, when?

- You said it doesn't track correctly. Do you mean it looks crooked going down the road? If so, they didn't repair the car properly.

- What else did they do to repair the car? Did the frame need to be pulled? Other suspension components replaced?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bearings will have the same effect if impact was hard enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More detail...
The car has a slight pull to the left, although when drivern in the travel lane, it will drive straight because of the crown in the road. As soon as I turn "off center", I get a vibration that comes right up through the car, in addition to up through the steering wheel. At 70 MPH, the vibration is audible once I turn "off center".
Thanks for everyones' input.
WM99

B

·
0 Posts
As metioned above, with the symptoms you describe it sounds like a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had something somewhere about Ford replacement practices and it is procedure to replace struts individually. My car was hit 3 years ago and they replaced on strut and it still doesn't track properly.

I had my camber plates drilled and moved and it still didn't fix it. But my suggestion would be to get them to give you a copy of the alignment specs and post the numbers. I know they showed me mine and the numbers from left to right were withing spec but they were quite a bit off of being equal. I don't remeber the numbers but for example it was like 1.8 degrees and 1.4 degrees with spec being like 1.7 and being within .4 degrees. SO technically they were within spec but 1.8 and 1.4 aren't the same. These are only examples of the specs but it was something like that so get the numbers and look for yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts