Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone---could use your opinion on this:

Took my 2013 Taurus FWD with 147k miles to a local tire/wheel chain to have a suspension rattle diagnosed & fixed. The rattle was caused by a loose front sway bar link (they fixed it--rattle is gone) but they also strongly recommended that I spend ~$1800 to have 6 bushings replaced because they are worn (to what degree, I am unsure). The shop stated they cannot perform an alignment unless all 6 bushings are replaced due to inaccurate placement of the suspension joints.

Would you replace these bushings?

Consider also that the vehicle tracks straight/true at 80mph, makes no decipherable clunks/bangs over broken pavement, doesn't shimmy or wander, and doesn't appear to be wearing the tires funny. Also, a set of 4 new tires on the 17" rims costs me $500 out the door. I can literally buy 3 sets of tires before meeting the bushing cost.

I'm struggling for the justification to perform these repairs, and am curious if I'm missing some sort of critical interplay or future impact to the vehicle. For those who care, the bushings in question were:
LF Lower Control Arm Bushing
RF Lower Control Arm Bushing
LR Upper Control Arm Bushing
LR Lower Control Arm Bushing
RR Upper Control Arm Bushing
RR Lower Control Arm Bushing

·
Registered
123 Posts
My front LCA bushings were garbage after 80k (2013), so I can see how they suggest replacing them. If they are past their useful life doing alignment is iffy. But. If your car tracks fine with no abnormal tire wear, why TF would you need an alignment anyhow? Doing anything with the swaybar does not necessitate one so I'd tell them thanks but no thanks. Having said that I'd maybe get a second opinion because at ~100-150k mi is when suspension components should definitely be monitored for possible fatigue/replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
336 Posts
I agree with Dundun, a second opinion would be wise. With 147K on the clock, parts do wear out. $1800 seems a bit pricey to me though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts