Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 Sable is running great, except for the CC. It surges a lot when engaged and never lets the rpm settle to a steady speed. I'd say about 300-400 rpm each time it surges. The road speed will stay steady because the surges are not long enough to pick up speed. Sometimes it will downshift and the rpm will increase 1200-1500 rpm, but not very often. I can almost eliminate it by setting the CC then accelerating then letting off the gas to coast back to the set speed. When I'm controlling the speed by foot it runs as it should and upshifts / downshifts just fine. The car has about 135k on it with no engine tranny work ever done to it. It sat for about 7 months before I bought it a month ago & has had around 2k miles put on it since, including the 800 this weekend. Is this the VSS?
Thank you,
Gator

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
My '95 Sable is running great, except for the CC. It surges a lot when engaged and never lets the rpm settle to a steady speed. I'd say about 300-400 rpm each time it surges. The road speed will stay steady because the surges are not long enough to pick up speed. Sometimes it will downshift and the rpm will increase 1200-1500 rpm, but not very often. I can almost eliminate it by setting the CC then accelerating then letting off the gas to coast back to the set speed. When I'm controlling the speed by foot it runs as it should and upshifts / downshifts just fine. The car has about 135k on it with no engine tranny work ever done to it. It sat for about 7 months before I bought it a month ago & has had around 2k miles put on it since, including the 800 this weekend. Is this the VSS?
Thank you,
Gator
Likely you have the vacuum operated cruise. If so it is leaking vacuum.

-chart-

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that were so, would it cause the car to run like it has a vacuum leak, or is it not a factor in the vacuum system until its engaged?
Thanks for the reply,
Gator

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
If that were so, would it cause the car to run like it has a vacuum leak, or is it not a factor in the vacuum system until its engaged?
Thanks for the reply,
Gator
It uses about the same vac as the power brakes or climate control. Only to move a diaphragm.

You have lots of vacuum at idle and coasting, very little under power. All the systems have to store the vac, and no leaks in the system or valves is acceptable.

-chart-

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fairly familiar with how vacuum works. I'm sure there are no vacuum leaks. What else could be causing the surging?
Gator

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE; the car is still running just about perfect, but the CC has completely stopped working. It won't engage regardless of what I do. My guess is it is & always has been in the wiring or switches in the steering wheel. Has anybody else dealt with this before? I'm looking through the forum right now for the answer, but so far, no luck.
Gator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts