Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace the subframe on my 02 because the battery box drain hose dripped directly on that drivers side control arm bolt and rotted out the frame there. To support the engine while I drop the frame I was going to buy one of those engine support beams but wasn't sure which one to get? I've seen support beams rated for 500-1500 lbs and was wondering if anyone knows how heavy the engine/tranny is? Any help appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Engine & trans is definitely not more than 1500 lbs. . I'd get the one rated for 1500 as now you will have a lifetime useful tool.
Others will chime in but I'd say both are probably around 700 lb total.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, @repairman54. I saw another video on YouTube where a guy dropped his transmission (which includes dropping subframe) and pretty sure he had the 1,000 pound model holding up the engine so I went with the 1,100 pound model. Will report back on how it goes. I just got my replacement subframe from the salvage yard ($160 after tax, and they removed it) and it does still have the stabilizer bar bolted to it. Does anyone know if I should just use the one on the replacement subframe, or should I pull off the original and bolt it to the new replacement? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Measure the diameter of the bar, if same I'd leave it in place. Bigger bar would be more desirable for better handling if there is a difference between the two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks. Regarding the engine support, does anyone have a diagram or anything regarding where on the engine I should hook it to?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts